[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James Harrison - LB Pitt - Dirty player?

Living the Dream

I don't want to be misunderstood. I do think they should limit leading with the helmet as a weapon. However, to say that guys on defense shouldn't be trying to dish out punishment, is silly. They all try to dish out punishment, and try to inflict pain on their opponent. I'm o.k. with Harrison being fined though, as there does have to be a limit on helmet to helmet hits. I certainly don't want to see players seriously injured unnecessarily.

Edited by Menudo

Headhunting is not the word Id use.

I do not like helmet hits at all!!!

I just thought of all the one's on Sunday Harrison's seem to be within the rules.

I think Harrison plays very close to line on the matter without crossing and the league wants to pull the ropes a bit.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:8hti9C4502BspM:b

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/8696/nflharrisond2288.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81dS21QTgkQ <--------- @:45 mark

And I couldn't agree with Menudo more - defenders SHOULD dish out hits. Big, nasty hits. Just use the shoulderpads, not the helmets, and hit them in the gut, not the head. Simple stuff.

If you're talking about the hit on Cribbs I'd suggest you view the link posted above in this thread and stop it around the 39 - 42 second mark. :wacko:

Actually, Harrison is not being fined for the hit on Cribbs. The NFL deemed that there was no violation on that hit. Harrison's fine is 75K because he is a repeat offender. Helmet to helmet hits are allowed, by rule, on a ball carrier. However, helmet to helmet hits are not allowed on a defenseless receiver who is looking for the ball.

Actually, Harrison is not being fined for the hit on Cribbs. The NFL deemed that there was no violation on that hit. Harrison's fine is 75K because he is a repeat offender. Helmet to helmet hits are allowed, by rule, on a ball carrier. However, helmet to helmet hits are not allowed on a defenseless receiver who is looking for the ball.

and that's why he's a dirty player

and that's why he's a dirty player

He is a repeat offender, so, if that makes him a dirty player, I guess you are right. He is a game-changing Linebacker, there is no doubt about that. I do wish that he would stop leading with his helmet, and also keep his damn mouth shut. I do want him to continue to play angry and with a nasty demeanor, that is why he is great, just stop the helmet to helmet hits.

Wrong hit... That was on Cribbs which Harrison could not be flagged. A RB gets different treatment then a WR by the rules of the NFL. Harrison was fined for a later hit which I still hold looked clean. Take a look at the right video and get back with me.

I just finished looking at the hit on massaquoi and Harrison led with his helmet and made helmet to helmet contact. That hit was illegal.

If McCoy doesn't float the ball behind the receiver and if Massaquoi doesn't bobble the ball, we aren't even talking about this. it would have been a nice hit square to Massaquoi's chest, around where the ball would have been. Massaquoi was fumbling the ball around trying to make the catch and bent over at the last second. by that time Harrison already had him lined up and had his knees bent, aiming for Massaquoi's chest, where the ball would have been had he reeled in the pass. look at the target area on Massaquoi at the point of impact. Massaquoi brought his head down to chest level. where the hell was Harrison supposed to hit him? in the knees? yeah, that would have gone over real well. players love getting hit low.

keep in mind this is all happening at full speed... a speed none of us can comprehend because we've never experienced football at that level. there's a reason why the sports writers, fans, and league officials sitting behind a desk are all up in arms and why so many of the players playing today, including Scott Fujita of the Browns, are defending the hit. NOBODY OUTSIDE OF THE PLAYERS CAN COMPREHEND THE SPEED OF THE GAME. for that reason, you have to let the players play and only penalize blatant cheap shots like the Merriweather hit where he put his helmet through Heap's chin, well after the ball had flown past him.

If McCoy doesn't float the ball behind the receiver and if Massaquoi doesn't bobble the ball, we aren't even talking about this. it would have been a nice hit square to Massaquoi's chest, around where the ball would have been. Massaquoi was fumbling the ball around trying to make the catch and bent over at the last second. by that time Harrison already had him lined up and had his knees bent, aiming for Massaquoi's chest, where the ball would have been had he reeled in the pass. look at the target area on Massaquoi at the point of impact. Massaquoi brought his head down to chest level. where the hell was Harrison supposed to hit him? in the knees? yeah, that would have gone over real well. players love getting hit low.

keep in mind this is all happening at full speed... a speed none of us can comprehend because we've never experienced football at that level. there's a reason why the sports writers, fans, and league officials sitting behind a desk are all up in arms and why so many of the players playing today, including Scott Fujita of the Browns, are defending the hit. NOBODY OUTSIDE OF THE PLAYERS CAN COMPREHEND THE SPEED OF THE GAME. for that reason, you have to let the players play and only penalize blatant cheap shots like the Merriweather hit where he put his helmet through Heap's chin, well after the ball had flown past him.

The main problem with your premise is that had Harrison NOT been leading with his head there would not have been helmet to helmet contact regardless of his "intended" point of contact or massaquois positioning after the catch. It is just unsafe for both the ball carrier and the defender for either to lead with their heads.

As an Offiicial I see hits everyday that dislodge the ball or cause the WR to NOT ctach a pass that do not include leading with the head. In fact some of the hardest hits I have ever seen have been the result of what my High School coach would have called a "form" tackle, where the defender breaks down and bends the ball carrier in half with a well placed shoulder to the mid section and then wraps the ball carrier up and drives him into the ground. Those hits can be just as devastating as a helmet to helmet hit and yetr are perfectly legal.

Granted I also see players get hurt from hits that were completely legal hits. So I acknowledge that football is a violent sport.

However it has also been found, over the last 100+ years that some types of hits are mre prone to cause injury than others, that is why football Leagues at all levels have written rules against some of these types of hits, i.e. Horse caller tackles, helmet to helmet hits, Blocks below the waist, blocks in the back and clipping to name a few.

And when it comes to permanent damage hits to the head can be the worse kind of hit to take, especially at the speed with which these hits are being delivered. I think it is high time that the nfl crack down on these hits. Helmet to helmet hits have been against the rules for quite some time and it is obviuos that the penalties being handed out have not reduced the practice of leading with the helmet so more drastic measures need to be taken.

These 2 hits are not the first by any means by harrison. He is alot like Rodney Harrison. Now if an OL takes out his knee and ends his season on a cheap shot, like he has been known to do. he will see things a bit differently. harrison imo is the dirtiest player in the NFL today. . Watch harrison on a INT, he looks to cheap shot people, whether it be from behind, helmet to helmet or whatever.

This isnt a bag on the ste@lers. Its just this one player. Poly will put a lick on with the best of them, but he isnt a dirty player.

Edited by Living the Dream

Makes him look like the biggest tool in the NFL. What an idiot, to say he will retire. Who else is going to pay this angry fool more than $10 an hour.

If any of us told our boss after we did something wrong we were thinking about leaving our job, in most cases our boss would say lets just call it a career, and you are gone. they wouldnt be threatened by employees if I cant do what I want, I will quit. Goodell should do this to him, and say Good Riddance you cheap shot artist and suspend him for life.

He is a repeat offender, so, if that makes him a dirty player, I guess you are right. He is a game-changing Linebacker, there is no doubt about that. I do wish that he would stop leading with his helmet, and also keep his damn mouth shut. I do want him to continue to play angry and with a nasty demeanor, that is why he is great, just stop the helmet to helmet hits.

Menudo, you better not have ever called Rodney Harrison a dirty player. Not a big difference between the two.

No he's not. He's trying to gain sympathy. What a fool.

Menudo, you better not have ever called Rodney Harrison a dirty player. Not a big difference between the two.

So, I basically agree that he shouldn't be leading with his helmet, and you reply as if I'm defending it ?

I don't see Ray Lewis doing this at all. He seems to want to have a lot of big body shots, not head shots. Ray Lewis has never gently tackled anything and has never been accused as a headhunter... On the field.... Clay Matthews doesn't headhunt. Jared Allen doesn't headhunt. Pat Willis doesnt headhunt.

what the hell are you talking about? did you forget this play already? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7WkJnEzqM

he got fined $5k for his hit on Austin Collie too in the final game last year as well.... there.. he's a repeat offender.. why wasn't his second fine $50k or whatever the hell like Harrison?

here's Clay Matthews for you just a couple weeks ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZNDC6RDh5c

Jared Allen's been fined many times for going both low and high on QBs.. do a quick google search.

just face it. the meanest and most intimidating defenders in this league will not hesitate to knock someone's lights out if given the opportunity. it's been that way for as long as football has been around. you all can single out Harrison because he is the flavor of the week, but you can bet your ass those same guys mentioned above would have laid the same hit on Massaquoi if they were in the same position.

As I watch NFL RB and WR it appears that they drop their heads just prior to impact with a tackler. If I am already committed to a tackle of your midsection and you drop your head, into that area, there will be helmet to helmet contact. Enforcement of this rule will make defenders think about their approach to each tackle instead of being instinctive. Strict enforcement will change the game (not for the better).