[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy or Reality

i_am_the_swammi

I'll put it this way: I'm more upset when my fantasy team loses than when the Cowboys lose. Although I'm been a Dallas fan for 30-some years, I've been heavily involved in fantasy football only about the past dozen years or so, a time in which the Cowboys haven't done much. I'm very competitive, and fantasy football feeds that more than the Cowboys do.

This.....

It's alot easier for you fans who say you would rather your homer team win than your FF team when your team is winning 70% of there games and in playoff contention. A niners win is awesome and exciting for me as they are few and far between but who are we kidding they are no where near a playoff contender so a loss by them for a win in a big money league of mine is a fair trade these days :wacko: When their wins are coming in bunches again and that adrenaline is pumping for a contender again I will surely feel different. I still sit in front of the TV and watch every niner game as I do every year with just as much enthusiasm just with a little different attire :tup:

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

This.....

It's alot easier for you fans who say you would rather your homer team win than your FF team when your team is winning 70% of there games and in playoff contention. A niners win is awesome and exciting for me as they are few and far between but who are we kidding they are no where near a playoff contender so a loss by them for a win in a big money league of mine is a fair trade these days :wacko: When their wins are coming in bunches again and that adrenaline is pumping for a contender again I will surely feel different. I still sit in front of the TV and watch every niner game as I do every year with just as much enthusiasm just with a little different attire :tup:

Are teams are in the same divison, your still in. Althought being shut out by tampa is bound to leave a bad taste in ones mouth. Were in the weakest divison in the league a losing record could get you in the playoffs, sad but true. I do get what your say though.

I would say that it all depends on how much money you have invested in your fantasy team. I think most people that choose their home team over their fantasy team are in a league that had little to no entry fee.

That being said, when I played for $20-$30 dollars, I rooted for my home team, but once I started involving a lot more money, then of course my fantasy team > home team.

Edited by AJx88x

I was at the game when Cory Dillon set the singe game rushing record. I was pi$$ed becasue my opponnet had him in our fantasy league. That's when I realized it's all about the fantasy league. That and I live in Cincy so not much to hope for real football wise.

I root for my Fantasy dude to score the TD AND then on the ensuing PAT we get Unecessary Roughness against the Offense, assess the penalty on the kickoff forcing a kick from like the 20, resulting in a short field allowing for McCann to get the boys in FG range where they call a time out and nail the game winnimg FG.

Whew! Rooting on football is exhausting!

Edited by Jrick35

I was at the game when Cory Dillon set the singe game rushing record. I was pi$$ed becasue my opponnet had him in our fantasy league. That's when I realized it's all about the fantasy league. That and I live in Cincy so not much to hope for real football wise.

This is how I am. If Miles Austin scores a last-second TD for a Cowboys win, and my opponent has Austin and the TD gives him a win, I'm more pissed that I lost my fantasy game than happy that the Cowboys won. But it's probably because the Cowboys suck.

I would say that it all depends on how much money you have invested in your fantasy team. I think most people that choose their home team over their fantasy team are in league that had little to no entry fee.

That being said, when I played for $20-$30 dollars, I rooted for my home team, but once I started involving a lot more money, then of course my fantasy team > home team.

It's not a matter of money for most. People choose their home-team over fantasy team because they've rooted for the team far longer than their most recent contender in a fictional game of luck, no matter the sum of cash...

If you're letting cash be the determining factor in who you root for, then you're taking this game way too seriously. Any money spent should be looked at as entertainment budget, to give you something to root for in more games than just your home team... Yes, you play to win and it's nice to be the one who wins cash in the end, but it's still just a game of luck that you play to have fun. If you're trying to view it as an investment, then I think you'll find it to be a poor one.

This week in my $80 local with competitive friends, I watched my team fall to 5-6 by Michael Turner's last minute TD; and to make it worse it was vs. my brother. Ugghh... So yes, I am a little bummed today as I look at the standings, but at the time I was rooting Turner on all the way, because it contributed to the Falcons getting through a trap-game to get to 8-2...

I don't see how anybody who was a football fan before fantasy player can feel any differently when their home/favorite team is in the playoff hunt.

It's not a matter of money for most. People choose their home-team over fantasy team because they've rooted for the team far longer than their most recent contender in a fictional game of luck, no matter the sum of cash...

If you're letting cash be the determining factor in who you root for, then you're taking this game way too seriously. Any money spent should be looked at as entertainment budget, to give you something to root for in more games than just your home team... Yes, you play to win and it's nice to be the one who wins cash in the end, but it's still just a game of luck that you play to have fun. If you're trying to view it as an investment, then I think you'll find it to be a poor one.

This week in my $80 local with competitive friends, I watched my team fall to 5-6 by Michael Turner's last minute TD; and to make it worse it was vs. my brother. Ugghh... So yes, I am a little bummed today as I look at the standings, but at the time I was rooting Turner on all the way, because it contributed to the Falcons getting through a trap-game to get to 8-2...

I don't see how anybody who was a football fan before fantasy player can feel any differently when their home/favorite team is in the playoff hunt.

Yes, you were cheering for Turner to get that TD but if he hadn't, you would have been bummed that Atlanta lost, but, you would have had a grin at the thought you beat your brother and maybe still in contention with your local?

In general, I'll start out rooting for my guy to have a great game and score lots of pts but with the Eagles ultimately winning the game. I'm fairly sure this is the same for everyone. If the other team scores and it wasn't my fantasy player, I'll begrudge the fact that it wasn't him (hey, they already scored anyway, right). But, prior to the score, I'm all about the Eagles stopping them.

Now, if the Eagles are in a spot in the season where they can make the playoffs, I tend to focus a lot more on what the Eagles are doing than what my fantasy player playing the Eagles is doing. When it's a game against a division foe with the 1st place in the division on the line, I'm squarely behind the Eagles and don't really care too much about the fantasy player. Like this last game against the Giants I had Nicks in one league and was so into the game I didn't think at all about him scoring. I just wanted the Eagles to crush Eli and win the game.

If the Eagles sucked balls and were 2-9 or something, I'd be rooting for my fantasy player a little harder than I would if they were contending. If they were playing within the division, I'd still lean toward the Eagles if the game was on the line and it was a TD for my fantasy guy or a win for the Eagles. But, if they were playing out of division and sucked balls and had no shot at the playoffs, I think I'd have to root for my fantasy guy/team in that situation.

i have fond memories of that Thursday night. He singled-handedly won my FF playoff game for me.

both but if there's ever a conflict it's always the Pats. the beauty of it is the hedging - you win either way (though you may also lose either way)

The responses in this thread are very surprising. There are so many that choose their fantasy team over their favorite NFL team. The answer most commonly given was that you don't really have any "real" stock in your homer NFL team, but, you do in your fantasy team. That is a fair enough opinion, but, I actually feel bad that so many feel that way.

Steelers football, along with other sports teams, have been a big piece of enjoyment for my family over the years. Of course, there are other more important things that keep us close, but, sports teams have played a big part in our entertainment. My Dad went on disability after a heart attack in 2004. We were always extremely close, but, after that, we talked at least once a day, every day. It was rare that we didn't talk about the Steelers or Pirates during those conversations. It was just something that we shared a passion for. I looked forward to those calls every day, and my Mom told me that they were the highlight of my Dad's days. Growing up, we didn't really have much money, so, going to Steelers games was out of the question, because it just cost too much money. In 1997, I acquired two tickets to the Steelers-Broncos game in December. This would be the first Steelers game that me and my Dad went to. My Dad was in the Fantasy Playoffs, and he had both Kordell Stewart and Yancey Thigpen. Kordell ended up throwing for 3 TD's, all to Thigpen, and ran two in as well. The Steelers won, my Dad's fantasy team won, and to this day, I still get the chills when I think of our experience at this game. It was freezing cold at Three Rivers, but, we had a great time. My Dad, who was pretty reserved around strangers was hugging and high-fiving other Steeler fans, and he was on cloud nine.

I can also remember how bad my Dad felt for me, when the Pirates lost in 3 NL Championships, one on a heart-breaker to the Braves when Francisco Cabrera sent them packing. There were the many Steelers AFC Championship collapses (San Diego in '94, Denver in '97, Patriots in '01 & '04. He wanted me to enjoy the feeling of watching your favorite team get the championshp. Something he got to see both the Steelers & Pirates accomplish several times.

My Dad passed away in June of 2005. That was the year that the Steelers made the Playoffs as a 6th seed. They won on the road in Cincy, Indy & Denver that year, to make it to the Super Bowl. I cried after each one of those games, because the person I wanted to celebrate with the most, was gone. I wanted to high-five him, or call him to celebrate. When the Steelers made that Super Bowl, I got invites to many parties, some of which were in Pittsburgh. I decided that I wanted to stay home and watch the game in my basement, with my Dad. As we all know, that Super Bowl was not well played, and was very controversial. However, it will always mean a lot to me, as it makes me think of the passion that my Dad and I shared. I know how happy my Dad was looking down on me.

Many probably think that me & my Dad took sports, and our favorite teams too seriously. That may have been the appearance from the outside, as if you came to our house on a Sunday, me, my Dad & My Mom would all be decked out in Steelers gear. However, we always kept things in perspective. The games weren't "really" that important to us, it was the time we got to share watching and talking about our teams that meant a lot to us. It was the passion that we shared that made it great. To me, that investment will always mean more to me than any money, which is why rooting for the Steelers will always come first to me.

Tonight is the perfect storm for me.

The Steelers play the Ravens in a battle for first place. Clearly their biggest game of the year thus far.

My fantasy playoff life in my main money league will also be at stake. I will have Ward, Boldin & Ravens D, and he will have Roethlisberger.

I'll watch the game rooting entirely for the Steelers. However, I am human, and if the Ravens score with Bodlin, I'll think "Well, at least it was Boldin", but, I won't be happy. Since Boldin has sucked so bad lately, perhaps I don't have anything to worry about.

Tonight is the perfect storm for me.

The Steelers play the Ravens in a battle for first place. Clearly their biggest game of the year thus far.

My fantasy playoff life in my main money league will also be at stake. I will have Ward, Boldin & Ravens D, and he will have Roethlisberger.

I'll watch the game rooting entirely for the Steelers. However, I am human, and if the Ravens score with Bodlin, I'll think "Well, at least it was Boldin", but, I won't be happy. Since Boldin has sucked so bad lately, perhaps I don't have anything to worry about.

I had Manning, Wayne and Tamme going in a win and in situation today and rooted just as hard for Dallas today as I ever did. Screw Indy. :wacko:

I had Manning, Wayne and Tamme going in a win and in situation today and rooted just as hard for Dallas today as I ever did. Screw Indy. :wacko:

I hear you......I can't do it any other way.