[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers/Packers Game Thread

Chief Dick

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got some morning after thoughts:

Besides the obvious turnovers, I think the key to this game was the Packers getting out to the big early lead. The Steelers were successful running the ball, but, being behind most of the game, made them have to alter their game-plan. I think this ended up being the key to the Packers win. If the Steelers could have grinded out some long, time-consuming drives with their running game, it would have kept Aaron Rodgers on the sideline and the result may have been different.

One Steelers I want to give MAJOR props to is Doug Legursky. Starting his first game at Center, I thought he played extremely well. In fact, for the most part, the offensive line did a solid job. I think getting Colon & Starks back next year, this offensive line might gel into a solid one with some good depth.

The biggest need for the Steelers was magnified last night. Ike Taylor is a very good corner. In fact, I think he is a bit under-rated. Troy Polamalu is obviously phenomenal. However, that is where the secondary strength ends. Neither William Gay or Bryant McFadden are good enough to be starting corners. Ryan Clark can make some nice hits, but, he is also a liability in coverage. This area needs to be addressed in the off-season. The other obvious need is to get younger on the Defensive line. Ziggy Hood has developed, and he is going to be a good one. The rest of the defensive line is old or getting old (Hampton, Smith, Keisel, Hoke).

In an ideal situation, meaning there is worthy talent available when they pick, I would like to see the Steelers go like this in the draft:

1. CB

2. D-Line

3. Safety

4. O-Line

The Steelers are aging in some areas, but, there is still a lot of young talent here, with Mendenhall, Wallace, Sanders, Pouncey, Woodley, & Timmons. The Steelers need to fill a few of these holes, and hopefully they continue to put themselves in position to compete again in the future.