[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers/Packers Game Thread

Chief Dick

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what a GREAT game. The Steelers shot themselves in the foot with turnovers, but I think in the end the "luck" balanced out with Woodson and Driver going to the bench.

Maybe not the tightest game by EITHER team, but at the end of the day, I don't think either one has much to hang its head about either. Clean play (even the PFs were just dumb moreso than anything), hard-hitting, and the way it oughta be.

You know, I obviously feel a bit disappointed, as it is always tough to come that close, and not get the trophy. However, I'm really not that upset about it. One reason is the respect that I have for the Packers. Another reason is that I wasn't that disappointed with the Steeler's play. Down by 18 and 11 twice, they continued to come back and get into the game. They showed that they belonged. Aaron Rodgers was flat out phenomenal. Take away some big drops, and he still had a hugh game. The one drop by Jones might have been a long TD. The scariest thing about the Packers is that they are young, and just won a Super Bowl despite losing a lot of players to injury. I have a strong feeling that they will be hoisting that trophy again in the near future.

Super Bowl XLV had just 36 total rushing attempts...Since 1985 that is the fewest ever that 2 teams have combined for in the Super Bowl (not sure about prior to 1985)...but it is the 3rd straight SB with less than 40 combined rushing attempts.

2004	452005	582006	612007	422008	382009	372010	36

Not only that, they've set a new low (assuming that pre-85 rushing att were higher than 45) for 4 STRAIGHT years, and 5 times in the last 7.

Again, Thompson's vision showed that guys can step up and play. Even after Woodson went out other players came to play. How wrong I was to doubt that.

Howie Long said the "D" word. He said there's no reason they couldn't be back again next year.

Grant and Finley will be back. That will be BIG.

Congrats to the Packers...and yeah...even I have to say the "Belt" was okay to be worn at the end of the game. Wasn't in your face....just stating "Title Town" again.

Congrats to the Steelers too. At least this game was a competitive one.

another stat for those that might care....

since 1985 only 4 times have the Super Bowl winners been out-rushed attempt wise.

1995 the Steelers ran the ball 31 to the Cowboys 25 times (Steelers lost)

1999 the Titans ran the ball 36 times to the Rams 13 times (Titans lost)

2009 the Colts ran the ball 19 times to the Saints 18 times (Colts lost)

2010 the Steelers ran the ball 23 times to the Packers 13 times (Steelers lost)

so the Steelers have lost 2 of the 4 games since 1985 as the team that ran the ball the most...just an odd stat is all.

edit: fwiw, in 1988 and 1992 each team tied in rushing attempts

Edited by keggerz

Again, Thompson's vision showed that guys can step up and play. Even after Woodson went out other players came to play. How wrong I was to doubt that.

Howie Long said the "D" word. He said there's no reason they couldn't be back again next year.

Grant and Finley will be back. That will be BIG.

Congrats to the Packers...and yeah...even I have to say the "Belt" was okay to be worn at the end of the game. Wasn't in your face....just stating "Title Town" again.

Congrats to the Steelers too. At least this game was a competitive one.

I still wouldn't be so sure that Grant might not be a cap casualty

... I wasn't that disappointed with the Steeler's play. Down by 18 and 11 twice, they continued to come back and get into the game. They showed that they belonged.

Well, I think that the 3rd appearance in the past 6 yrs showed they weren't some fluky, lucky team. Nobody doubted they belonged.

Aaron Rodgers was flat out phenomenal. Take away some big drops, and he still had a hugh game. The one drop by Jones might have been a long TD. The scariest thing about the Packers is that they are young, and just won a Super Bowl despite losing a lot of players to injury. I have a strong feeling that they will be hoisting that trophy again in the near future.

Hell, the Steelers weren't exactly a picture of health coming in, and while I think age might affect their D, their offensive talent is on the youngish side. I wouldn't be surprised to see them meet again sooner rather than later.

Aaron Rodgers=Elite

Ran the numbers - I feel comfortable in using the verb "SMASHES" to describe what Aaron Rodgers' 112.6 postseason passer rating did to the previous record of 104.8.

Held by another Packer QB you might have heard of, Bart Starr.

I remember the Chargers being a lot of preseason faves...where were the Pack?

A LOT of people (well, Peter King at least) thought GB was going to make a run.

I think quite a few of them backed off after GB got hammered by injuries.