[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Player's Safety

DawgTalk

Really gotta wonder what was going throught he minds of the coaching/medical staff...

"Browns quarterback Colt McCoy's father, Brad, said today that Colt doesn't remember anything after taking a vicious helmet to helmet hit from Steelers linebacker James Harrison and that he never should've gone back in the game."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/..._medium=twitter

The problem remains that the NFL doesn't have truly independent medical professionals monitoring the health of players. When a team doctor is doing the evaluation or making the decision of WHETHER TO DO THE EVALUATION, there's an inherent conflict of interest. The doctor is paid by the team. The team wants its best players to play. If the doctors are "too cautious," it potentially hurts the team. That's the high and low of it.

Players and fans aren't without fault. The NFL has a culture where toughing out injuries is expected. Look at Peyton Hillis and Ben Roethlisberger. Hillis has been lambasted this year for not playing and Roethlisberger can now probably commit another few crimes before anyone says anything bad about him.

Anyway, the fix is easy, but the NFL isn't willing to do it. Or the teams won't let the NFL do it. Whichever.

Really gotta wonder what was going throught he minds of the coaching/medical staff...

"Browns quarterback Colt McCoy's father, Brad, said today that Colt doesn't remember anything after taking a vicious helmet to helmet hit from Steelers linebacker James Harrison and that he never should've gone back in the game."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/..._medium=twitter

Hard to say what goes on during the game, on the sideline with the trainers, players and coaches. But I do know that on the first play he came back, when they showed a close up he had this blank stare like "Sopapilla, where am I, what day is it." Then later after Harrison chases him out of bounds they have this little love pat session.

However, knowing how competitive many players are, and hearing stories like this from former players

"They tried to stop me from going back in by hiding my helmet, so I borrowed somebody elses"

I'm guessig that McCoy wasn't completely honest, said he felt ok, fudged his way throug some of the simple tests etc.

Also this is coming from his father, who is probably not an impartial observer.

And lastly, it comes from Mary Kay Cabot, who much like the ABJs own Marla Ridenour is a "journalist" who often writes stories trying to inject controversy and scandal everywhere, just to sell the story (very common these days).

similar story in the Akron paper (a little more jaded as Marla is known to do)

ABJ Browns & Player safety

Edited by stevegrab

Player safety is ALWAYS the number one concern.

ALWAYS

Damn, thats some crazy mankey ass bag of dicks coah. Walking, walking, ok that guy is convulsing, where was I going, yea, up stairs. HAHA Jeez

Colt did look like he had no clue what was going on. I was suprised that he got the next play off.

You're impying that his father wasn't being completely honest about the situation--could you please tell me what motivation you think his father has in lying about this?

His father is not unbiased, he's reacting out of concern for his son. I understand that, any parent would do that. Its been reported that he was showing symptoms of a concussion after the game. According to the coach he showed no symptoms after the hit, and passed all tests of the medical team so he was allowed to play. Based on the coaches statement, they followed the proper protocol.

The NFL will be investigating further. If they find the team didn't do the right thing I'm sure it will come out.

Until then we have a concerned parent, and the media running with that.

I guess I'm just being a homer, hoping that the team wasn't so stupid to ignore it if he in fact had a concussion at that time. But at this point there is no evidence that happened. Its not like Colt called his dad before being put back in and said "Dad I have a concussion and they are making me play." But that is how many are reacting.

I guess I'll just let it go for now, and see what the NFL says.

Pretty simple really. Ya got the $ to hire a full medical staff? Great! HIRE A FREAKEN FULL TIME NEUROLOGIST!

Agreed. And, there's no way that a medical professional should allow a player to fudge their way through a concussion evaluation. A doctor is trained to recognize symptoms even if a guy says "I'm fine."