[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Harbaugh sticking with Alex Smith?

rajncajn

Like I said, He is not Schaub but tracked close to him THIS season. Obviously, Foster and their running game was a significant game changer given the loss of Johnson and this clearly impacted their passing game giving them similar weapon quality to the 49's. The reason I said ceiling was Smith will have to work to get there and that means he will need to improve his yards per completion by around 2 yards. Of course he doesn't have anything remotely close to A. Johnson on the roster and no where near the experience of the offensive system at this point.

I simply said, in my view this is his ceiling but that it remains to be seen. I would select Schaub over Smith all day given his body of work and consistency of system. I rank Schaub in the 9-10 range as an NFL QB with a ceiling around 5-6. In fact, since people like to talk game manager, he is one of the best. Not flashy but extremely effective on a rapidly improving team with a great defense. I hated he got injured this year as they had a real chance to win it all in my view.

My view, based on Smith's completion percentages, 4k is within reach but that will depend on how much they open up the passing offense and improve at the WR position.

Didn't mean to imply he was Schaub only that his ceiling could be that good, I actually thought I made that point clear. :tup:

no worries grasshopper. But if you keep up with the Smith posts, I'm officially anointing you the A.Smith :nuthugger: of the Huddle..and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. :wacko:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no worries grasshopper. But if you keep up with the Smith posts, I'm officially anointing you the A.Smith :nuthugger: of the Huddle..and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. :tup:

And on that note, did anyone else notice that Matt Moore compared very favorably to Jay Cutler this season?

:wacko:

To sum up, PON thinks his own opinion trumps a whole boatload of legitimate statistics, so no surprise there.

Ice1 thinks Alex Smith had a really good season and trundled out a ton of stats to support that view.

Various people weighed in on Smith, rating him on a wide range.

Various others claim he hasn't had a real shot before this year due to crap coaches and a revolving coaching door.

FWIW, I'm with Ice1 and the people who think the SF revolving door has been the major factor. Smith has shown he has the ability to be a better than average NFL QB. He isn't Joe Montana and he's not going to be in the elite QB group either. However, he's going to do enough to help his team win games and, maybe more importantly, he's unlikely to lose them.

+1

As a fan of a team that has generally sucked for a number of years I have seen countless players with talent totally wasted by poor coaching and constant change. Draft a QB with the first pick, then give him a new set of coaches or offensive scheme every year, without much talent around him and expect him to improve. Heck even your Mannings and Rodgers would fail (or not flourish) under such programs.

Nobody is claiming the guy is great, just that he hasn't had a chance to develop before now. If Harbaugh thinks he is their guy going forward I'll buy that, instead of just saying "how is that possible, he sucked for year before this season where he didn't need to do much".

the apology was sarcastic.

"And not for nothing, that 30 yard bootleg for the score against the Saints was a better keeper QB run than anything your boy Rodgers did all year. And there's more to come. "

the above is copy/paste, the "anything" is between the quotes, I'll bold it for you.

somewhere on the previous page I answered the question. after giving it some thought, how about Flynn?

Ha! In my haste to write a poorly constructed sentence, the anything was referring to QB runs, not all plays from scrimmage. That's certainly Rodgers strength but it impressed me when Smith pulled that one off. I think it's a nice sign.

And if I'm drinking anyone's kool-aid it's Harbaugh's. If the team quits on him (which would be their third coach) I hope they clean house of the players and keep him. He's got it together.