[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peyton Manning . . . to the Colts?

CaptainHook

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It saddens me that the average Sports Center watching fan will blame Peyton for this chapter in his legacy; Irsay is crucifying Manning, plain and simple.

You're crazy.

How exactly is Iraay crucifying him? Iraay has to move on and he needs to brace the fans for it. Nothing more.

This article doesn't say "surgery" it just says "procedure". How major or minor is unknown.

I'm starting to wonder if Jim Irsay didn't have something to do with "leaking" this story - or tipping someone off to continue to try to justify or strengthen his stance and paint a darker picture of Peyton Manning. A few weeks ago I wouldn't even have thought about this - but the way things have been going down these past few weeks - it just keeps getting uglier and uglier.

I do think that this article really hurts Manning's position though. If a team was on the fence or willing to give it a shot (Arizona, Seattle, Miami) - I think this puts a big damper in things. No way would I sign this guy without giving him a thorough physical.

However - if Manning comes out and says it was irrelevant or minor - how about putting this WHOLE thing to rest and just hold a "pro-day" workout? End all this hoopla and bickering and just hit Jim Irsay in his pie-hole from 50 yards out (to the left)!

I am so far on the other side of this it's not funny.

This IS on Manning. I completely support the tact Irsay is taking.

This article doesn't say "surgery" it just says "procedure". How major or minor is unknown.

- how about putting this WHOLE thing to rest and just hold a "pro-day" workout? End all this hoopla and bickering and just hit Jim Irsay in his pie-hole from 50 yards out (to the left)!

I'm all for suspending all talk by anyone about Manning until Manning does this.

I'm not sure that I have seen anything so ridiculous when it comes to professional football. Well, if Manning recovers from his injuries and if Manning doesn't show any significant effects from missing 18 months or so of football and if Manning hasn't declined significantly due to his age and those other factors and if he comes to my team and if he can pick up a totally new system with totally new players in a matter of months and if he can stay healthy and if my team can figure out a way to pay him... we're going to the Super Bowl!

I know its the offseason, but goddam.

I'm all for suspending all talk by anyone about Manning until Manning does this.

I'm not sure that I have seen anything so ridiculous when it comes to professional football. Well, if Manning recovers from his injuries and if Manning doesn't show any significant effects from missing 18 months or so of football and if Manning hasn't declined significantly due to his age and those other factors and if he comes to my team and if he can pick up a totally new system with totally new players in a matter of months and if he can stay healthy and if my team can figure out a way to pay him... we're going to the Super Bowl!

:wacko:

The problem is we cannot get the media to stop diggina and reporting on every minor detail beause it is a huge story.

In some ways it does remind me of the whole Favre thing, when more often it was the media reporting somehting just to report it. Nothing had really changed, Favre wasn't being signed or even courted but every move he or his family made was told in the media. And no real honest info from any side involved seemed to matter.

Right now we have Irsay trying to make him and the Colts organization look good while on the verge of cutting the best player the (IND) Colts ever had. You have Manning trying to convince everybody that he can still play. And the media eating it all up, plus creating a bunch of other stories out of thin air.

While there are rumors out there that Manning and Irsay are discussing re-negotiating Manning's contract, I still believe it he's not with the Colts next season, he's with the Arizona Cardinals. Apparently the Vegas oddsmakers agree with me! :wacko:

LINK

"Las Vegas bookmakers have set odds on where he will land:

•Arizona Cardinals - 2/1

•Washington Redskins - 5/2

•Miami Dolphins - 3/1

•New York Jets - 7/2"

Edited by Shorttynaz

it's now getting really ugly...

:wacko:

You must have a different definition of "ugly" than I do. I actually think this is a good sign, if true. As a Manning fan and a Colts fan, I want him back, but at a cap friendly number, so that he can retire a Colt.

I saw on the ticker on NFLN yesterday that the Colts will not be able to watch Peyton throw until April as per the new CBA. What exactly does that mean?

According to the player news page at the huddle it states clearly that neither the new GM nor the new coach (or really anybody from the Colts organization) can watch Peyton work out before the start of offseason workouts. So I'm not sure how they are going to get info on how Peyton is throwing before the March deadline.

It says

Indianapolis Colts general manager Ryan Grigson and head coach Chuck Pagano are not allowed to watch QB Peyton Manning work out now because league rules prohibit coaches and front office personnel from watching players work out before the start of offseason workouts. Huddle Up: So the Colts will need to decide in about a week whether or not to give Manning $28 million without their new coach or GM having seen Peyton throw in person? You don't need a road map to see where this is headed...

I am thinking Seattle would be a good fit, if he is able to play.

I don't understand why I keep reading people (and a few analysts) saying Seattle is a good fit. Not that I'm against it - but Manning needs a domed statium and I would assume wants to go to a team who actually has a chance to push for a championship these next few years.. On top of that, I don't see Manning and Coach Double Rainbow getting along all that well..

I don't understand why I keep reading people (and a few analysts) saying Seattle is a good fit. Not that I'm against it - but Manning needs a domed statium and I would assume wants to go to a team who actually has a chance to push for a championship these next few years.. On top of that, I don't see Manning and Coach Double Rainbow getting along all that well..

I am looking at it from the view that he would have capable WRs and a sound O-Line. I don't really see why he would "need" a domed stadium. I do see how he would need a run first offense, though and Lynch had no problem running behind that O-Line.

I am looking at it from the view that he would have capable WRs and a sound O-Line. I don't really see why he would "need" a domed stadium. I do see how he would need a run first offense, though and Lynch had no problem running behind that O-Line.

Why does he need a run first offense, the Colts were never a run first offense. He needs a good OL and a decent running game, and a back who can catch. Not saying they don't have that in SEA, but confused as to why a prolific passer like Peyton would need (or want) to be in a run first offense. If he isn't going to be capable of doing most of what he did before, what value does he really have?

Why does he need a run first offense, the Colts were never a run first offense. He needs a good OL and a decent running game, and a back who can catch. Not saying they don't have that in SEA, but confused as to why a prolific passer like Peyton would need (or want) to be in a run first offense. If he isn't going to be capable of doing most of what he did before, what value does he really have?

Probably because his best days are behind him, and it would be smart for him to finish his career like Elway . . . a good QB with a strong running game. I think Seattle would be a good fit. So would the Jets and Dolphins. Cardinals, not so much.

Why wouldn;t he need a good run game? A strong running game would beneift him and the offense. He would be more efficient with a run first offense, not that the offense wouldn;t be suspect to throwing on first down. He cannot shoulder the entire load anymore. I would think that Manning knows that the Dallas Clark's of the world do not grow on trees, thus 4 WR/Dallas Clark TE sets are probably out of the question. Give him that extra blocker from the TE position and a run game and watch the play action be ultra successful. He needs play action ability. I also think KC would be a decent fit for Manning.

Why wouldn;t he need a good run game? A strong running game would beneift him and the offense. He would be more efficient with a run first offense, not that the offense wouldn;t be suspect to throwing on first down. He cannot shoulder the entire load anymore. I would think that Manning knows that the Dallas Clark's of the world do not grow on trees, thus 4 WR/Dallas Clark TE sets are probably out of the question. Give him that extra blocker from the TE position and a run game and watch the play action be ultra successful. He needs play action ability. I also think KC would be a decent fit for Manning.

I didn't say he doesn't need a run game, you said he needs a "run first offense" I asked why. There's a big difference between "good running game" and "run first offense". I don't see why any QB as prolific at reading defenses and throwing the ball needs a "run first offense".

I'm also not sure I buy into "his best days are behind him" many are considering him washed up and on the verge of retirement, with no real proof that he cannot play as he did before the neck injuries. Its just speculation.

To me when somebody says "this QB needs a run first offense" it implies that QB isn't going to be throwing much, just a game manager. That is not Peyton Manning, if his abilities are that greatly diminished I'd expect him to retire (rather than become a Trent Dilfer).

Edited by stevegrab

nice counter. If you would divulge to the rest of us, please list his QG rating and stand prior to 2012. 36rs old? he has a 3 y ear window to win another SB...I'd take that resume in a heart beat.

His interceptions were higher in 2010 than they had been in 8 years. His yards per attempt were at their lowest level since his rookie year. And he had career highs in attempts and completions. The decline had begun. And that was before he had at least 3 more neck surgeries. Could he have a couple more great seasons? Yes. Will any of them be better than his numbers when he was in his prime? No way. That is the definition of decline. I didn't say he's gonna suck. I said his skills are deteriorating along with his health.