[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Morris Claiborne's Wonderlic: 4?!?

Bronco Billy

I will concede this though, which ought to give you great glee, matt:

I was 100% wrong in averring that he is stupid. He's apparently not - he's apparently handicapped. For that, I am ashamed. I would have thought that a writer would have checked for extenuating circumstances when a score of that magnitude is registered, but regardless I was absolutely and incontrovertibly in the wrong there.

Hey Ted, what's your 40 time and vertical?

40 time is around a minute and my vertical is about 6 centimeters..i've been told if im chasing a doughnut I can blaze there and dive for it much quicker...but that's rumors.

I think I pulled a pinky typing this

Those tests are culturally biased...

I think there is also a correlation between a low wonderlic score and the number of children one has with different wimmen out of wedlock.

Cromartie - 12

Claiborne is in trouble.

I will concede this though, which ought to give you great glee, matt:

I was 100% wrong in averring that he is stupid. He's apparently not - he's apparently handicapped. For that, I am ashamed. I would have thought that a writer would have checked for extenuating circumstances when a score of that magnitude is registered, but regardless I was absolutely and incontrovertibly in the wrong there.

I believe that Matt was referring to your assertion that his low Wonderlick score means much in terms of his potential at the next level.

So I guess you're just being friendly with that comment, huh matt. After all, it was you who called me an extremely derogatory name a couple of weeks ago, right? Personally I could care less, but your response sure is hypocritical don't you think?

While you're gloating, could you also show me a top 20 NFL CB who had a wonderlic score that was even only twice Claiborne's score? Any top 20 CB with a wonderlic of 8 or lower will do. TIA

So I guess you're just being friendly with that comment, huh matt. After all, it was you who called me an extremely derogatory name a couple of weeks ago, right? Personally I could care less, but your response sure is hypocritical don't you think?

While you're gloating, could you also show me a top 20 NFL CB who had a wonderlic score that was even only twice Claiborne's score? Any top 20 CB with a wonderlic of 8 or lower will do. TIA

Rumor has it Deion Sanders scored a 7....

Revis scored a 10, which is impressive.

I think Patrick Peterson had a 9 last year - but that's still not in the ballpark of a 4.

LSU is known for their focus on educating their student athletes.

I rarely gloat. Tell you what though, the draft is in a few weeks, if Claiborne slides even a few spots to #9 or 10 overall, feel free to gloat your ass off. Further, if he turns out to be a bust because he lacks the mental faculties to grasp the playbook or keeps returning INT's the wrong way, then gloat daily til you reach 30,000 posts.

Those tests are culturally biased...

I think there is also a correlation between a low wonderlic score and the number of children one has with different wimmen out of wedlock.

Cromartie - 12

Claiborne is in trouble.

I was just wondering how Cromartie did in his score. He can barely read.

I think Patrick Peterson had a 9 last year - but that's still not in the ballpark of a 4.

What the hell difference does it make? 10 is considered illiterate. So Peterson scored 5 better than Claiborne, maybe he made more lucky guesses. Is Peterson exponentially smarter than Claiborne? Those are both pathetic scores.

Why isn't the big story today that Claiborne is sliding on everyone's boards? Don't you think scouts, GMs and coaches look at this stuff more closely than dudes on a FF board? If his 40 time was a few tenths slower, it would impact his draft stock a hell of a lot more than his wonderlic. Hell, he could refuse to take the damn thing and still probably get taken by the Bucs or Rams. I just read an article published today saying the Browns at #4 are considering him.

I'm not sure why you are so defensive. Is it really that farfetched that a NFL team might have reservations about burning a top 5 pick if they find out the kid can just barely do more than sign his name?

You're absolutely right, I don't know what I was thinking. My bad.

I was just wondering how Cromartie did in his score. He can barely read.

Can you imagine trying to get him to spell, hell, pronounce, prophylactic?

This is just absurd to say that 4 and 9 aren't in the same ballpark, and methinks you're using convenient logic that it just happens to be twice as high... So if one guy scores a 45 and another scores a 40, are you going to say that the second guy wasn't in the same ballpark?

Further, they say a 10 is what they consider "literate", so pretty much the difference between Peterson/AJ and Claiborne is maybe illiterate vs. maybe illiterate with a learning disability. For all we know, maybe AJ and Peterson are just better guessers, but regardless, we know they can play ball at a high level.

Even further, you haven't really acknowledged the fact that not only is there no positive correlation found between scores and performance, but there's actually a more pronounced negative correlation for CBs in particular. Regardless of whether that's a spurious correlation or not, it certainly doesn't support your initial view that it should make teams take pause on aa guy that's the clear #1 talent at an increasingly important position.

Education and the college degree NOT received by the likes of Sparky Anderson will surely inhibit Claiborne the same way. Is/was Tony LaRussa a better manager because he has a law degree?

Everybody's different. And, no, I am not in favor of everybody who participates getting a ribbon or trophy either. Sometimes (sometimes) education makes no difference on a playing field. Probably a lot more than what we realize or admit. Let's think of some players in the league who scored higher than a 4, or even a 9, and see how "smart" they are at staying out of jail.

Is it really that farfetched that a NFL team might have reservations about burning a top 5 pick if they find out the kid can just barely do more than sign his name?

Yes. Because until the NFL is played with pen and paper the score in and of itself means jack squat.

Gil Brandt talked about this at length the other day and had some great points. Among them was that at most this low score might trigger them to administer other tests to the guy to determine if he has a reading or other issue. CB in particular isn't a position that this means much to, it's far more of an instinctive and reactive skill-set. It was said crudely but quite accurately earlier "you - cover that guy". NFL players in general don't just read something and need to regurgitate it on a written test. They watch film, they review in meetings, then they do walkthroughs, then practice. Brandt made special note of Paul Brown's core coaching methodology - hear, see, write, practice, execute.

My sister is a special-ed teacher and HATES the word learning disability. She calls it a learning difference. You give one kid a pen-and-paper timed test and he might score awful, but give the same kid the test orally or via touch technology on tablet/phone format and they will do much better. It used to be we would just label the kid stupid, stamp it on his forehead, and give up on him. Now these kids get a much better chance.

This is just absurd to say that 4 and 9 aren't in the same ballpark, and methinks you're using convenient logic that it just happens to be twice as high... So if one guy scores a 45 and another scores a 40, are you going to say that the second guy wasn't in the same ballpark?

Beside the simple fact that 9 is 125% greater than 4, while 45 is 12.5% greater than 40 - so the comparison isn't remotely equivalent, by what basis do you assume that the wonderlic measurement is linear? Measurements of IQ generally are not linear - in other words, a person with an IQ of 140 has much greater intellectual capacity, rather than twice as much, as someone with an IQ of 70.