[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Will Leveon Bell's helmet keep me out of playoffs?

Lippy225

First off...I hope that he is alright. That was a big hit and looked scary. I just can't get over the fact that they negated the touchdown. I get why they made a rule about the play being dead when someone loses their helmet, but why in the end zone?? He crossed the line with the freakin ball. My games have been so close this year... and I hope if I do lose and miss the playoffs that it is by more than 6.1 points!

My absolute favorite is when the RB fumbles the ball at the two yard-line and the ball goes into the endzone.

How about when your RB runs toward the end zone untouched, and then sits down on the one yard line - because he's a 'smart' player and that insures his team the win - and completely screws your FF team!

BAB - what would happen if the RB lost his helmet and in the act of forward progress after losing his helmet fumbles the ball? Then would you be championing forward progress after losing the helmet? It's a difficult rule to part and parcel every potential outcome and legislate away any potential negative consequences while preserving positive ones. Do we all think he deserves a TD in this instance ... yes ... but there are unintended consequences if that rule is modified and the next time it happens with the opposite outcome we'll have some screaming that they lost two points and their championship because of a stupid rule.

Nothing to do with FF...everything to do with negating a good play.

To answer your question, if the ball comes out before it crosses the goal line or the runner is down, then yeah, it should be a fumble.

The rule as it stands encourages defenders to head hunt at the goal line. If you can pop his helmet off, you dont have to tackle him.

I think the day will come soon when this is expanded to a dead play as soon as any player on the field (or involved with the tackle) loses a helmet. There was a play last night where that happened, one of the 3-4 defenders trying to tackle the player lost their helmet, and the runner (AJ?) was having their forward progress impeded. The refs seemed to blow the whistle quicker and stop the play.

Do we really want plays to continue in any form with a player not wearing a helmet potentially being contacted by others with helmets?

Not me. I'm fine with whistling a play dead for the safety of the players. Otherwise if they allow some continuation (falling forward or whatever) people are going to continue hitting the guy, and somebody is going to get their head split wide open someday.

I think the day will come soon when this is expanded to a dead play as soon as any player on the field (or involved with the tackle) loses a helmet. There was a play last night where that happened, one of the 3-4 defenders trying to tackle the player lost their helmet, and the runner (AJ?) was having their forward progress impeded. The refs seemed to blow the whistle quicker and stop the play.

Do we really want plays to continue in any form with a player not wearing a helmet potentially being contacted by others with helmets?

Not me. I'm fine with whistling a play dead for the safety of the players. Otherwise if they allow some continuation (falling forward or whatever) people are going to continue hitting the guy, and somebody is going to get their head split wide open someday.

I don't know , is it any more dangerous then being able to tackle a player by his hair ?

Think about it , I player running at full speed and someone grabs his hair while falling to the ground , neck snaps

Unless you are lucky like Andre Ellington http://nfl.si.com/20...ellington-hair/

This isn’t the first time a player has been brought down by his hair. In 2003, the NFL implemented a rule declaring that it’s legal to to grab a player’s hair anywhere on the field as it’s considered to be part of the uniform.

Edited by MustOfBeenDrunk