[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jonathan Dwyer Arrested - domestic violence

SecondString

LOL ... I suspect that domestic violence has been a long time issue in the NFL ... but recent events have tuned up everybody's sensitivity to the issue and there is no sweeping incidents under the rug with a super hot media spot light shining on them at the moment.

Probably right...and there may be some of the abused who now feel empowered to out the abuser because of this.

The whole "guilty until proven innocent" act in the NFL is pretty tiresome. Due process? What is that?

I agree, but the NFL has a policy about how the team and players are perceived. Though something like Rice or Peterson's case with publicized images/video should not be set aside regardless. Suspending indefinitely is not putting them in jail, garnishing wages, putting them under house arrest, and so on. You're a manager of a McDonalds, a security tape catches an employee hitting a customer, and the tape is posted online. Are you supposed to keep that employee on staff? Do you think people will want to go into your McDonalds? If in this case you do think the employee should be fired, wouldn't it hold true to do the same thing if the video was not seen by the public? If a lot of these players are vindicated they could easily come back at the NFL and sue. Yeah of course the owners and league are hypocrites, lettting honda get by. Now they are too worried about fans protesting. The majority of NFL fans do not want women to be beaten until they're unconscious. Rice may be innocent until proven guilty, but should the league have to risk it? If so why?

The whole "guilty until proven innocent" act in the NFL is pretty tiresome. Due process? What is that?

Innocent until proven guilty applies in courts of law. There is nothing to prevent employers from firing employees that are having a negative impact on the organization ... employers aren't required to provide "due process" if they choose to suspend/fire an employee that is bad for business.

Edited by Grits and Shins
  • Like 3

Innocent until proven guilty applies in courts of law. There is nothing to prevent employers from firing employees that are having a negative impact on the organization ... employers aren't required to provide "due process" if they choose to suspend/fire an employee that is bad for business.

True, every state except Montana has "at-will" employment.

It is everywhere in the NFL and every sport for that matter. 22/32 camps in the NFL reported some time of domestic dispute with one of their players. That means that well over half of the teams in the NFL had at least one player involved in some kind of domestic dispute. That was just in camp. And that was just the ones that were reported. Domestic issues are always ugly, but they are part of life. Ask any cop what the majority of their calls are for in any city. Heck, just watch an episode of COPS.

Targetting individual players in the NFL does nothing and solves nothing. But this media mob frenzy will continue until people get tired of hearing it. it's now a fad. It's now popular to equate NFL players with domestic abuse.

And to make matter worse, mark my words, you are going to start seeing any dame that dated an NFL player claiming he beat her up in an attempt to get 5 mins of fame and some $$$

Domestic abuse is a very real and very serious issue. But Targetting individual players in the NFL and burning them at the stake as some kind of isolated monster and then assosiating it with some connection to the NFL is nothing more than mob mentality. Meanwhile these guys are going to lose thier jobs because they need counceling and guidence.

I heard a caller on a radio station today ask this question: If I am a plumber and I get in a domestic dispute with my wife, is the company I work for going to fire me and make sure I will never work in plumbing again? No. Of course not. And that is why this entire witch hunt is so ridiculous.

Edited by Alphashado
  • Like 1

The two highest profile cases had pretty strong evidence:

• Rice - video evidence of the actual crime

• Peterson - photographic, visual, and electronic (text messages) evidence of abuse, that Peterson subsequently admitted to.

Doesn't sound like a witch hunt to me.

It is everywhere in the NFL and every sport for that matter. 22/32 camps in the NFL reported some time of domestic dispute with one of their players. That means that well over half of the teams in the NFL had at least one player involved in some kind of domestic dispute. That was just in camp. And that was just the ones that were reported. Domestic issues are always ugly, but they are part of life. Ask any cop what the majority of their calls are for in any city. Heck, just watch an episode of COPS.

Targetting individual players in the NFL does nothing and solves nothing. But this media mob frenzy will continue until people get tired of hearing it. it's now a fad. It's now popular to equate NFL players with domestic abuse.

And to make matter worse, mark my words, you are going to start seeing any dame that dated an NFL player claiming he beat her up in an attempt to get 5 mins of fame and some $$$

Domestic abuse is a very real and very serious issue. But Targetting individual players in the NFL and burning them at the stake as some kind of isolated monster and then assosiating it with some connection to the NFL is nothing more than mob mentality. Meanwhile these guys are going to lose thier jobs because they need counceling and guidence.

I heard a caller on a radio station today ask this question: If I am a plumber and I get in a domestic dispute with my wife, is the company I work for going to fire me and make sure I will never work in plumbing again? No. Of course not. And that is why this entire witch hunt is so ridiculous.

Brilliant.

I've made the same point here and other forums, and it is ignored by most.

The two highest profile cases had pretty strong evidence:

• Rice - video evidence of the actual crime

• Peterson - photographic, visual, and electronic (text messages) evidence of abuse, that Peterson subsequently admitted to.

Doesn't sound like a witch hunt to me.

Witch hunt not in that they are not guilty but people want more harsh punishment because they are public figures and because of the evidence. Where is the media and public outcry over the average Joe that beats his woman or kids, and does it regularly and far more severe beatings? There is none, because it isn't covered by the media, not sensational enough, not enough ratings.