[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Players to watch: Camp/Preseason Standouts

bud29

Does the signing of Veteran James Jones cut into T. Williams upside this year ?!?!

Tyler Higbee - Rams TE. He's being talked up big time in camp, and he looked good in the first preseason game. I'll probably snag him late.

Josh Ferguson - Colts RB - I mentioned it in another thread, but he's been practicing with the 1's and taking handoffs from Luck. He could have that Ahmad Bradshaw type role in the Colts offense that was extremely productive up until his injuries.

Does the signing of Veteran James Jones cut into T. Williams upside this year ?!?!

My guess is no as Jones has lost more than a step. The only reason to think yes would be he's a vet and whatnot. But like I said it's my guess. Jones was having trouble separating from defenders in practice. Williams was routinely beating defenders deep and stood out as a "take the top off the defence guy"...so? It could go either way. The Chargers haven't had a true burner type in a long time. Why not now? :shrug: Then again McCoy is really on the Hot Seat this year and may not want to risk it. We'll see I guess.

My guess is no as Jones has lost more than a step. The only reason to think yes would be he's a vet and whatnot. But like I said it's my guess. Jones was having trouble separating from defenders in practice. Williams was routinely beating defenders deep and stood out as a "take the top off the defence guy"...so? It could go either way. The Chargers haven't had a true burner type in a long time. Why not now? :shrug: Then again McCoy is really on the Hot Seat this year and may not want to risk it. We'll see I guess.

Gotcha, im gonna keep my eye on the Williams kid then. :tup:

Some IDP stuff -

Chiefs UDFA LB Justin March made some noise during camp last year, but suffered a season-ending knee injury before the regular season began. He's back at it this year, and has been taking 1st string reps at ILB next to Derrick Johnson. We'll see what happens when last year's starter Josh Mauga comes back (injury).

DE Chris Jones (yeah, that one) has also looked very good. Not likely to get much playing time this year because the Chiefs are stacked at the position, but someone to keep an eye on. http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/8/18/12508076/heres-why-chris-jones-has-the-chiefs-excited-about-his-potential

Edited by bud29

Charles Johnson looks to be the 1B starting WR for the vikings and is going undrafted

That's what people were saying last year and thank god I didn't buy that. Although I think he's claimed that he was injured all season. I know the Treadwell hype is huge right now as well, how much value could Johnson really carve out in Teddy's offense?

Some IDP stuff -

Chiefs UDFA LB Justin March made some noise during camp last year, but suffered a season-ending knee injury before the regular season began. He's back at it this year, and has been taking 1st string reps at ILB next to Derrick Johnson. We'll see what happens when last year's starter Josh Mauga comes back (injury).

DE Chris Jones (yeah, that one) has also looked very good. Not likely to get much playing time this year because the Chiefs are stacked at the position, but someone to keep an eye on. http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/8/18/12508076/heres-why-chris-jones-has-the-chiefs-excited-about-his-potential

Another IDP note.... Packers LB Blake Martinez. Super-cerebral, can cover and stuff the run, and will be on the field a LOT even as a rookie for the Packers. I am bummed I whiffed on him in all 5 of my dynasty leagues. He's going to be a good one. Think Luke Kuechly-lite.

Flying under a lot of radars still is lions rookie rb Dwayne Washington. After a slow reported start to camp he has been impressive through his first two preseason games. Had a 97 yard kickoff return td in his first game and last night ran in a 5 yard touchdown and added a two point conversion. He is a physical specimen as well and was a combine standout. Worth a stash in dynasty leagues imo.

Edited by Crazysight
  • Like 2

Like we're not gonna notice what you did there.

Oh c'mon, that's not fair. He has 2 active posts and joined yesterday. Getting ground-breaking advice like 'David Johnson could be poised for a big year' could win me my league!! Let the man speak.

:woot:

Another IDP note.... Packers LB Blake Martinez. Super-cerebral, can cover and stuff the run, and will be on the field a LOT even as a rookie for the Packers. I am bummed I whiffed on him in all 5 of my dynasty leagues. He's going to be a good one. Think Luke Kuechly-lite.

He was certainly on my radar in rookie drafts, although I didn't get him in any leagues either. Most of the time, I chose to wait another two rounds or so and take Devondre Campbell from ATL. Early favorite to start at WLB, and was going practically undrafted early on. KJ Wright is a popular comparison - athletic, aggressive, and good in coverage - just 'ok' instincts, though. Would benefit from strong MLB play to keep him clean, hopefully Deion Jones can provide that. Both Jones and Campbell have looked solid in camp and preseason play.

I think everyone knows about Tajae Sharpe already, so I'll throw out an IDP guy:

Kevin Byard, S, 3rd round rookie out of Middle Tennessee State. He had 19 interceptions (4 TDs) in 49 games in college, picked off one in the first preseason game, and has a few picks in training camp (including 2 the day after the first game). He's a ballhawk. Right now he's behind Rashad Johnson at FS, but Johnson is only on a 1-year deal, so Byard could very well end up the starter come next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I think everyone knows about Tajae Sharpe already, so I'll throw out an IDP guy:

Kevin Byard, S, 3rd round rookie out of Middle Tennessee State. He had 19 interceptions (4 TDs) in 49 games in college, picked off one in the first preseason game, and has a few picks in training camp (including 2 the day after the first game). He's a ballhawk. Right now he's behind Rashad Johnson at FS, but Johnson is only on a 1-year deal, so Byard could very well end up the starter come next year.

Man, I had to scan through my 5 dynasty leagues because I was fairly certain I had grabbed him in at least one. No such luck. Definitely remember reading up on him and was very impressed. Johnson is a stopgap kind of guy who's perfect to bring young guys along. He'll be a DB coach someday, book it. Really like Byard.