[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hypothetical What If

KevinL

According to ESPN, if a team is in a BCS conference and is in the top 4 in the BCS Standings, they are guaranteed a spot. We have heard all year that a non-BCS conference team is guaranteed a spot if they finish in the top 6.

What if Oklahoma loses again, but stays in the top 4?

We would have 9 teams guaranteed spots right?

Six conference champions. Oklahoma & Cal as top-4 BCS teams. Utah as a top-6 non-BCS team.

Oklahoma is the strongest team in the Big 12 and I fully expect them to win, but we all thought that last year as well. I don't want this to become a flame-war or ignorant predictions whether or not it will happen. We can all agree there is a chance, however small, that it will happen.

Does anybody know who makes the BCS if it does?

I would think OU would drop out of the top 4 IF they lose the Big 12 Championship game, just like Auburn will IF they lose the SEC Championship game.

I'm hoping that USC, OU and Auburn all lose their next game and watch as the BcS tries to keep Utah out of the Championship as the only undefeated team. Maybe that will help to kill the beast and pave the way towards a playoff.

I would think OU would drop out of the top 4 IF they lose the Big 12 Championship game, just like Auburn will IF they lose the SEC Championship game.

I'm hoping that USC, OU and Auburn all lose their next game and watch as the BcS tries to keep Utah out of the Championship as the only undefeated team. Maybe that will help to kill the beast and pave the way towards a playoff.

567521[/snapback]

Boise St. is still undefeated as well, how bout UTAH vs Boise St.?

567521[/snapback]

OK if OU falls out then Texas becomes a top-4 team and we still have 9 teams with "automatic" bids, correct?

6 conference champions, 2 (Cal & OU/Tex) non-champions in top 4, 1 non-BCS in top 6.

OK if OU falls out then Texas becomes a top-4 team and we still have 9 teams with "automatic" bids, correct?

6 conference champions, 2 (Cal & OU/Tex) non-champions in top 4, 1 non-BCS in top 6.

570230[/snapback]

A non BCS team in the top 6 is guaranteed a BCS berth. A top 4 team who doesnt win one of the BCS conferences is not guaranteed anything. If say Texas loses to A@M, and Utah moves to #5, and Boise St moves to #6, Cal will not be eligible for a BCS game. Boise St and Utah will get the at large bids.

Texas @ #5 has no shot at a BCS game, unless it passes #4 Cal because Utah is guaranteed one of those spots being in the top 6 and outside the BCS conferences. A Texas loss hurts Cal and Texas win could hurt Cal, if it can continue to gain ground on them in the polls

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Thanks Sarge, that wasn't what I read earlier. I went looking again just now and found this:

"The rule that would allow either Cal or Texas to get a BCS at-large spot by being ranked in the top four is contingent upon a spot still being available after a previous rule is applied." ESPN article

So you are right, top 4 teams are only guaranteed if the spots are available.

Edited by KevinL

OK here we go.... USC loses to ND, Auburn loses the SEC championship...... OU wins the Big-12, Texas wins out. Does UT jump Cal?????? it would be safe to say that Cal would be at 2 and UT at 3 or maybe UT at 2 being their only loss would be to #1 OU. Hell yeah I'm all for this OU vs UT for the NC, no way OU can lose.......Stoops has the Mac Brwon play book for idiots from his pee wee days...... :D:DB)

OK here we go.... USC loses to ND, Auburn loses the SEC championship...... OU wins the Big-12, Texas wins out. Does UT jump Cal?????? it would be safe to say that Cal would be at 2 and UT at 3 or maybe UT at 2 being their only loss would be to #1 OU. Hell yeah I'm all for this OU vs UT for the NC, no way OU can lose.......Stoops has the Mac Brwon play book for idiots from his pee wee days...... :D  :D  B)

571435[/snapback]

a major long shot, but d@mn that would shut some mouths. 2 Big 12 Powers playing for the National Championship. What most dont seem to realize is the National Championship game this yr was played in October in Dallas. The winner of that game will be this yrs National Champion. OU won it, and OU will win it all.

a major long shot, but d@mn that would shut some mouths.  2 Big 12 Powers playing for the National Championship.  What most dont seem to realize is the National Championship game this yr was played in October in Dallas.  The winner of that game will be this yrs National Champion.  OU won it, and OU will win it all.

571506[/snapback]

:D

Edited by BIG A

What most dont seem to realize is the National Championship game this yr was played in October in Dallas.  The winner of that game will be this yrs National Champion.  OU won it, and OU will win it all.

571506[/snapback]

I guess, USC and Auburn should just forfeit? :D

That WITHOUT question is the DUMBEST statement i have EVER seen posted.

Once again you have outdone yourself with your lack of intelligence,complete and utter stupidity and boyish homerism. To think the Texas/OU game was a NC type game.......... :D The Georgia/Auburn game was much closer if you'd like to compare.

OU will lose to USC or Auburn.........Texas will lose to .........whomever , and your great (self-proclaimed)analysis will once again be worth squat!

With comments like that,why would anyone give this fool any credibility? He just keeps on yacking and won't SHUT UP!!

Then why do it, man? :D

You feel like you rile them...they feel like the rile you, and for the rest of us, it's pretty lame.

571658[/snapback]

hey I didnt attempt to rile them up. The post name is a hypothetcial, and I posted what very well could happen. If they get riled up, that is on them. I just posted how easy it is to rile them up as it wasnt even my intention, yet it happened.

They cant lay off the Big 12 and OU to save their life. i already said I didnt want to discuss the Big 10 and last yr, yet that is all they seem to want to talk about, and that the Big 12 sucks. Those idiots cant let it go. So that is on them, not me.

And I still dont see how losing 21-14 in LSU's bakyard is getting humiliated. Some just dont get it. Humiliated is when....... Well there I was, about to go back to a topic I said I wouldnt discuss. :D

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Texas is going to lose to A&M this Friday anyway.  USC will lose one of it's 2 remaining games and OU will play Auburn for the title.

571885[/snapback]

Texas wont lose to A@M, but the USC losing and OU playing Auburn would be very cool. Personally I dont care who OU plays, its going to be cool watching them win it all Jan. 5.

USC will lose one of it's 2 remaining games and OU will play Auburn for the title.

571885[/snapback]

Is this prediction more from a lack of respect for USC, or do you think that either ND or UCLA are much better than their records? It would require a total meltdown by USC, in all 3 phases of the game, and the best game of the season for their opponent to win.

I think you're very wrong, but you could make a lot of money if you're right (if you're willing to put your money where your mouth is.....)

Edited by Coffeeman

Is this prediction more from a lack of respect for USC, or do you think that either ND or UCLA are much better than their records?  It would require a total meltdown by USC, in all 3 phases of the game, and the best game of the season for their opponent to win.

I think you're very wrong, but you could make a lot of money if you're right (if you're willing to put your money where your mouth is.....)

571965[/snapback]

I think he is wrong as well, but Notre Dame did beat Tenn and Michigan on the road. Either they are that good, or those teams are that bad.

USC is getting better every week and are simply too talented to lose any of their remaining games. Listening to Bob Davie talk though you would think that ND can win this game easily. One stat that jumps out though is that ND is something like 15-0 after a bye week. :D

I like USC to finish undefeated and win the NC. This just in...Matt Leinart is going to win the Heisman.

I think he is wrong as well, but Notre Dame did beat Tenn and Michigan on the road.  Either they are that good, or those teams are that bad.

571977[/snapback]

UT was leading until their 2nd QB in as many weeks got hurt and their #3 threw a pick for a TD on his first series. Michigan just got spanked by OSU. I can't fathom a ND upset over USC. It would be about as random as one of the week sisters from the Big-12 North beating your beloved and well rested Sooners.

Is this prediction more from a lack of respect for USC, or do you think that either ND or UCLA are much better than their records?  It would require a total meltdown by USC, in all 3 phases of the game, and the best game of the season for their opponent to win.

571965[/snapback]

Actually a meltdown in ONE phase of the game could cost em a win. Look at the OU vs OSU matchup, the 14 pts given up by special teams almost cost em dearly!!!!