[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DRAFT 2005: South Carolina's Williamson on the ris

WaterMan

DRAFT 2005: South Carolina's Williamson on the rise

By PETE IACOBELLI, AP Sports Writer

April 21, 2005

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Right before NFL scouts and coaches broke for the day at South Carolina's indoor practice facility last month, they cleared the field and called for one more speed drill from Troy Williamson.

The one-time track prospect smiled and obliged.

Williamson hadn't even thought much about football until his junior year of high school. But in five seasons he has turned himself into one of the best receiving prospects in Saturday's NFL draft.

It's Williamson's speed -- he was clocked at 4.38 seconds in the 40-yard dash -- and work ethic that moved him up to a likely high selection.

``I've got to be ready to play and do my part,'' said Williamson, who is giving up his final season and the chance to catch passes for new South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier.

The decision looks better every day. Some mock drafts have Williamson going as high as No. 12 to San Diego. Most have him locked into the first round as the next receiver after Michigan's Braylon Edwards and Southern Cal's Mike Williams.

One NFL general manager, St. Louis' Charley Armey, called Williamson the best player in the draft. ``Nobody can cover him,'' he said this week.

All this for someone who caught only 91 passes and 13 touchdowns in college. Still, Williamson has shown enough to interest NFL teams, several of which have flown him in for visits.

``The thing right here, you've got to pace yourself and then prepare for draft day to come,'' Williamson said. ``Because when draft day comes, it's time to get back to work.''

Williamson has never been afraid of hard work to achieve his goals.

He was a speedy star at Silver Bluff High School, where he won state track championships in the 100 and 200 meters. Convinced to try football, Williamson became an all-state player at running back and receiver. He turned down offers from Clemson and Tennessee to attend South Carolina, despite the more conservative attack of coach Lou Holtz.

Williamson led the Gamecocks in receptions and touchdown catches his final two years. Although those totals of 71 receptions for 1,263 yards and nine touchdowns might not have matched what he could've gotten this coming season with Spurrier in control, Williamson headed to the pros.

``Of course that's something you consider,'' Williamson said. ``But you've got to look at yourself and your goals and the stuff you want to accomplish.''

There were moments where Williamson's talent and smarts shone through. Two seasons ago, Williamson cut past two Virginia defenders after catching a quick slant and took it 99 yards for a touchdown, the longest pass reception in South Carolina history.

This year, Williamson caught late, game-winning touchdowns at Kentucky and against Arkansas to help the Gamecocks qualify for the postseason, although the bowl chance disappeared because of a massive fight in the season-ender at Clemson last November.

That was it for Williamson. He had thought about the NFL since his first college season and was ready to move.

Williamson's former high school coach, Al Lown, said along with the receiver's speed comes a toughness to succeed. ``I think the NFL recognizes that,'' he said.

Williamson already has gotten a dose of NFL life. He has trained in Miami with fellow South Carolina players Rod Wilson, Andrea Gause and Jason Capers. ``Those people are there pushing me,'' Williamson says, ``making me the kind of person I am now.''

Miami, with its flashy nightlife, was vastly different for Williamson than Jackson, the small town of fewer than 1,700 where he grew up.

``More traffic, a lot of different stuff,'' Williamson said. But because he's likely to wind up in a larger city once he's drafted, ``you got to get used to it,'' he said.

I say Vikes should jump on him if they don't trade up for Edwards\Williams. He's got the 

deep threat ability that Culpepper needs.

788656[/snapback]

Heck, drop down a couple spots to add a later pick, grab Williamson, and then take Clayton at 18.

Burleson, Williamson, & Clayton would be a potentially nice trio for years to come.

Mike Morris from KFAN has the Vikings taking him at #7. He has correctly predicted the last two 1st round picks for the Vikings.

I would like to see them trade down and add a pick if this is truely the guy they want but Morris seems to think if Washington can't trade up for A Smith that they would take Williamson at #9 so the Vikings need to take him at #7.

Mike Morris from KFAN has the Vikings taking him at #7.  He has correctly predicted the last two 1st round picks for the Vikings.

I would like to see them trade down and add a pick if this is truely the guy they want but Morris seems to think if Washington can't trade up for A Smith that they would take Williamson at #9 so the Vikings need to take him at #7.

789425[/snapback]

This is pretty much my thinking as well. It'll be reflected in the next mock, coming very soon.