[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Old School WWF

whomper

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zia dropping heaps of wrestling stuff on us. :D

The Von Erichs are wrestling royalty in Texas.  Its just sad to think of all of the tragedy that family went through. 

i dont know what I hated more "Leapin" Lanny or "The Genius"

957534[/snapback]

My baby sister of 11 yrs had a crush on Kerry Von Erich.

I thought Lanny played another wrestler. Thanks for the reminder.

Lanny wrestled both as "Leaping" Lanny Poffo, and then later was repackaged with the gimmick of "The Genius", and occasionally tagged with Mr. Perfect, the late Curt Hennig.

I remember seeing some of the old WCCW stuff on ESPN. Asides from the Von Erichs, there was General Skandar Akbar, the Missing Link, One Man Gang, Eric Embree, "Iceman" King Parsons, the great tag team of Chris Adams and Gino Hernandez (again, both have since passed away), and many others.

With the way wrestling is today, I miss the old territories, the rivalries seemed a lot more intense and were more entertaining. As for the new guys out today, some of the ones in the WWE nowadays that I have watched in the last couple years in the Indy scene here in MN are Shaun Davairi, who was recently teamed up with the now defunct gimmick of Muhammad Hassan, and now another guy I used to watch here called "Kamikaze" Ken Anderson has been on Smackdown wrestling as Ken Kennedy. Great to see those young guys make it!

One other I saw here, and he's now wrestling in NWA-TNA, and was the former Ring of Honor champion is Austin Aries. The guy has a world of talent, and is a pretty humble dude too. If you ever get a chance to see him in a match, don't miss it.

Back to old school AWA, one of the greatest and bloodiest fueds ever there was Mad Dog Vachon against Jerry Blackwell. Ahhh, memories.

I remember seeing some of the old WCCW stuff on ESPN.  Asides from the Von Erichs, there was General Skandar Akbar, the Missing Link, One Man Gang, Eric Embree, "Iceman" King Parsons, the great tag team of Chris Adams and Gino Hernandez (again, both have since passed away), and many others.

957824[/snapback]

Another great one from the WCCW/UWF was "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert, who has also since passed.

Back to old school AWA, one of the greatest and bloodiest fueds ever there was Mad Dog Vachon against Jerry Blackwell.  Ahhh, memories.

957824[/snapback]

This is the stuff I remember!

I don't remember what alliance it was but I recall a tag team from long ago called the Kangaroos or something like that. Had bush hats on and boomerangs. I'm not talking about those Bushwackers either. :D

Another great one from the WCCW/UWF was "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert, who has also since passed.

957840[/snapback]

He was DA MAN!!!!

I've got 2 tapes with about 4 hours of UWF footage on each. Hot Stuff is AWESOME! Man, it's amazing how good Hacksaw Duggan was back then. And don't forget the tag team, I think it was the Blade Runners, of the men who would later become the Ultimate Warrior (after a stint as the Dingo Warrior), and another who became known as the man named Sting, who went on to a very good career in WCW and was made a star in the first ever Clash of the Champions by the Nature Boy Ric Flair in what was a phenomenal match.

This is the stuff I remember!

I don't remember what alliance it was but I recall a tag team from long ago called the Kangaroos or something like that. Had bush hats on and boomerangs. I'm not talking about those Bushwackers either.  :D

957872[/snapback]

You aren't thinking of the Kiwi Sheepherders are you? That team went on to become the Bushwackers when the signed with the WWF, before that I only remember seeing them in the NWA.

Anyone else here remember the Moon Dogs? I thing the main ones were Moondog Rex and Moondog Spot, and came to the ring carrying what looked like chewd up ham bones.

Someone mentioned Haystacks Calhoun.

How bout Unlcle Elmer and Cousin Junior.  :D

957803[/snapback]

Haystacks....YES!

Uncle Elmer and Cousin Junior....No.

But how about:

Mitsu Arakawa,

Bobo Brazil

Verne Gagne

Nick Bockwinkle

Ivan Koloff

Blackjack Lanza

Wilbur Snyder

Billy Red Cloud

Dr. X (The first masked wrestler?)

In the late 50's/early 60's my Bro and I would watch them on Sat. nite. My mom used to make us Steak Tartare for the matches. Mmmmmmmmm!

How can you beat red meat and wrestling? :D

Haystacks....YES!

Uncle Elmer and Cousin Junior....No.

But how about:

Mitsu Arakawa,

Bobo Brazil

Verne Gagne

Nick Bockwinkle

Ivan Koloff

Blackjack Lanza

Wilbur Snyder

Billy Red Cloud

Dr. X (The first masked wrestler?)

In the late 50's/early 60's my Bro and I would watch them on Sat. nite.  My mom used to make us Steak Tartare for the matches.  Mmmmmmmmm!

How can you beat red meat and wrestling? :D

957986[/snapback]

Yeah, I mentioned Ivan and Nikolai Koloff earlier...ahh...the memories!

Guest aqualung
The local news stations gave out the results in the sports reports.  When one station stopped doing this, there were many complaints of depriving them of "sports". :D

957218[/snapback]

Ringside Rosie! :D

Yeah, I mentioned Ivan and Nikolai Koloff earlier...ahh...the memories!

957993[/snapback]

Missed that. Someone mention the lugies being spat at the audience. We had 3rd row ringside once! It was pretty disgusting! :D

You aren't thinking of the Kiwi Sheepherders are you?  That team went on to become the Bushwackers when the signed with the WWF, before that I only remember seeing them in the NWA.

Anyone else here remember the Moon Dogs?  I thing the main ones were Moondog Rex and Moondog Spot, and came to the ring carrying what looked like chewd up ham bones.

957877[/snapback]

Nope, wasn't the Kiwi SH. This had to be a good 30 - 35 yrs ago. Guys had black trunks with a kangaroo or something on them. Used to watch them late Saturday night with grandad.

I definately remember the Moondogs. Didn't Albano manage them? Or was it the Grand Gizard? :D

Bay Area Bonbers!

957997[/snapback]

:D

• 6 months later...
How can anyone leave out Jessy"the body" Ventura and Adrian Adonis?

We were ringside at a match, Jesse had climbed over the ropes and hung his hat and boas on the turnbuckle. Some teen age kid jumped up and grabbed one of the boas and tried to take off. Before he took two steps, Jesse vaulted over the top rope, grabbed the kid and gave him a quick jab in the mouth, and told him to sit back down in his seat and he better still be sitting there when the match was over. By the time the match ended, his lip has swollen up to the size of a golf ball. Kid was shaking in fear all over the place...Jesse left the ring and just grinned at the kid as he left, thought he was going to fall out of his chair and pass out with just the look. :D

957209[/snapback]

Interesting bit of trivia:

My dad's cousin is Jesse Ventura. I've only met him twice.

At a family gathering once, when I was like 10, he suplexed me into a pool. Kind of stung a little. I've never really talked to him since then, although he did send a present when I got married a few years ago.

After seeing some wrestling chatter in Nsabs thread I went back to the archives and figured id give this a bump

1360936[/snapback]

I didn't even notice the dates. This was my first time seeing this thread.

There were some really flaming wrestlers back then. Adorible Adrion Adonis, Leaping Lanny Poffo, Barry O (who would get the crap beat out of him every Saturday morning), and the Bumble Bees.