[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Folding Big Slick

Grits and Shins

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last Friday night I had a very similar situation in my local Music Row game. I am BB. UTG just calls the BB. SB calls BB. everyone else folds. UTG is a pretty decent player but plays alot more hands than I do. SB is probably the worst card player that I have ever seen. He calls on the river with 8 high, crap like that. But he has been the chip leader at this table for most of the 2 hours or so. But now he is short stacked.

I look down to find Big Slick. I raise to 5XBB. I want to get heads up with SB since I know he will call and he is likely to not have squat. But UTG immediately calls me. SB goes all in, which is only my 5XBB raise plus another 3XBB. With those odds, I now have to call even though UTG has me worried. UTG just calls the re-raise. Flop comes 4-4-K. Great flop for me. I am first to act on the side pot between UTG and me. I immediately move all in to make him think I am bluffing at it. This could have been a mistake, if he was giving me credit for a hand. He thinks about it for a while and says I cant lay this down and calls my all in. So now we have 2 big pots.

I flip over Big Slick. UTG flips of K-10 suited. So, I take the side pot when turn and river are blanks. Guess what the jack ass in SB has? Bullets! The one time he wakes up with a hand is against me! so, he takes the main pot and I get the side pot. I am glad it worked out with the side pot, but I thought I would take down both.

It's not ... because BC won the hand with A-A, and I had A-K

1272965[/snapback]

Must not have been me then. I don't go all-in very often and one of the few times i did, I had AA. Since BC won the one you are talking about, if it would have been me I would have been put out in that hand. Since I finished 2nd, it must have been Puddy or DMD.

Must not have been me then.  I don't go all-in very often and one of the few times i did, I had AA.  Since BC won the one you are talking about, if it would have been me I would have been put out in that hand.  Since I finished 2nd, it must have been Puddy or DMD.

1273013[/snapback]

Then it must have been Puddy ... because I busted DMD out ...

Last Friday night I had a very similar situation in my local Music Row game. I am BB.  UTG just calls the BB.  SB calls BB.  everyone else folds.  UTG is a pretty decent player but plays alot more hands than I do.  SB is probably the worst card player that I have ever seen.  He calls on the river with 8 high, crap like that.  But he has been the chip leader at this table for most of the 2 hours or so.  But now he is short stacked. 

I look down to find Big Slick.  I raise to 5XBB.  I want to get heads up with SB since I know he will call and he is likely to not have squat.  But UTG immediately calls me.  SB goes all in, which is only my 5XBB raise plus another 3XBB.  With those odds, I now have to call even though UTG has me worried.  UTG just calls the re-raise.  Flop comes 4-4-K.  Great flop for me.  I am first to act on the side pot between UTG and me.  I immediately move all in to make him think I am bluffing at it.  This could have been a mistake, if he was giving me credit for a hand.  He thinks about it for a while and says I cant lay this down and calls my all in.  So now we have 2 big pots.

I flip over Big Slick.  UTG flips of K-10 suited.  So, I take the side pot when turn and river are blanks.  Guess what the jack ass in SB has?  Bullets!  The one time he wakes up with a hand is against me!  so, he takes the main pot and I get the side pot.  I am glad it worked out with the side pot, but I thought I would take down both.

1273004[/snapback]

What is UTG thinking calling with K-10 suited. Sounds like a whole table of idiots

Any suggestions on an efficient way to organize a notebook for your poker playing?

1273172[/snapback]

IN addition to just a section to write down notes on particular hands you play, have a section, and this can easily be entered into Excel that lists where you were playing, the games, the stakes, how long you played, your results and any other notes that may have affected the situation, ie, number of players at the table, etc.

After building a fairly substantial "situation" notebook like this you may be able to start identifying patterns of when you do well and when you do poorly. Maybe you notice that you are usually a winner when you play for 3 hours or less, but if you go to 4 hours or more, you start losing. Or you find that you win playing at Chuck's house but lose when you are hosting the game. Things like that help you identify the games that will give you the best situation.

Then, keep notes on individual hands and how you play them. just list starting hand, your position, your action and the results of the hand, trying to detail the action on each street and what flopped or was on the board for each player if playing stud.

Tracking online is very easy and most sites can do automatic downloads of hand history's to your computer, and this information can be imported into several programs out there. Then you have at your fingertips statistics on the hands you play, each of your sessions and, almost as important, statistics on your opponents. Not always as helpful online due to the quantity of players, but, if you get to a point where you are playing a guy you have played before, it is always nice to have some statisitics and hand histories there to remind you how he plays.

IN addition to just a section to write down notes on particular hands you play, have a section, and this can easily be entered into Excel that lists where you were playing, the games, the stakes, how long you played, your results and any other notes that may have affected the situation, ie, number of players at the table, etc.

After building a fairly substantial "situation" notebook like this you may be able to start identifying patterns of when you do well and when you do poorly. Maybe you notice that you are usually a winner when you play for 3 hours or less, but if you go to 4 hours or more, you start losing. Or you find that you win playing at Chuck's house but lose when you are hosting the game. Things like that help you identify the games that will give you the best situation.

Then, keep notes on individual hands and how you play them. just list starting hand, your position, your action and the results of the hand, trying to detail the action on each street and what flopped or was on the board for each player if playing stud.

Tracking online is very easy and most sites can do automatic downloads of hand history's to your computer, and this information can be imported into several programs out there. Then you have at your fingertips statistics on the hands you play, each of your sessions and, almost as important, statistics on your opponents. Not always as helpful online due to the quantity of players, but, if you get to a point where you are playing a guy you have played before, it is always nice to have some statisitics and hand histories there to remind you how he plays.

1273400[/snapback]

I have never kept a notebook ... seems to me like it would interfere with your play AND slow the game down?

I have never kept a notebook ... seems to me like it would interfere with your play AND slow the game down?

1273465[/snapback]

Not at all. The notes aren't all that detailed. I'll add when I review them or during a hand I'm not playing. Its maybe a sentence or 2.

Not at all.  The notes aren't all that detailed.  I'll add when I review them or during a hand I'm not playing.  Its maybe a sentence or 2.

1273575[/snapback]

good info here. i just copy and paste the hand number into a text file, jot down some short hand and the size of the pot and then review them when I have some down time. It's extremely helpful.

A lot of people like to look at the big hands they've won. I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I mostly review my losing hands and see where I went wrong and try not to go down that road again. Since I've been reviewing my losing hands, my win rate has gone up dramatically. It's amazing how much you can improve by looking at your poor hands.

good info here. i just copy and paste the hand number into a text file, jot down some short hand and the size of the pot and then review them when I have some down time. It's extremely helpful.

A lot of people like to look at the big hands they've won. I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I mostly review my losing hands and see where I went wrong and try not to go down that road again. Since I've been reviewing my losing hands, my win rate has gone up dramatically. It's amazing how much you can improve by looking at your poor hands.

1274346[/snapback]

Agreed

Nothing like reading so I called his all in with a 3 outer and hit it on the river.

I'm so lucky :D

Agreed

Nothing like reading so I called his all in with a 3 outer and hit it on the river.

I'm so lucky  :D

1274352[/snapback]

All that does is reinforce bad playing.