[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UFC: Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracy

H8tank

So that was the announcement last night?

1270810[/snapback]

Yes, at one point I thought I was going to break my TV if I heard "an historic announcement" one more time. :D

The fight should be intriguing though. Hughes' freakish strength vs Gracie's experience. I would never bet against Royce.

So that was the announcement last night?

How old is Gracie?

1270810[/snapback]

I think Gracie is around 38 or so.

1) Are there going to be special rules?

2) Will they let him wear the gi?

1270929[/snapback]

No special rules, just the rules in the UFC nowadays. I doubt Royce will be wearing a gi as he has gotten away from that. He beat a 600lb dude in Japan a few months back as Royce hasn't exactly been retired.

He's 39 and has a record of 13-1-2 (from UFC website so maybe UFC only record).  Can't seem to find what fight that one loss was though.

1271748[/snapback]

A Japanese guy beat him and a couple of Gracie's brothers.

They started calling him the Gracie Slayer or somesuch.

A Japanese guy beat him and a couple of Gracie's brothers.

They started calling him the Gracie Slayer or somesuch.

1271759[/snapback]

Supposedly it was an epic bout as well from what I've read.

In Royce's announcement, Royce said "This is my house, I built it!" Sweet. I can't wait until May.

He's 39 and has a record of 13-1-2 (from UFC website so maybe UFC only record).  Can't seem to find what fight that one loss was though.

1271748[/snapback]

man. Wow - I kind of remember Shamrock fighting Gracie and somebody from his corner throwing in the towel for him.

I guess not.

man.  Wow - I kind of remember Shamrock fighting Gracie and somebody from his corner throwing in the towel for him. 

I guess not.

1272183[/snapback]

Royce beat him with a heel hook the first time they fought, if memory serves me. The second time, it was 35 minutes (again, if memory serves) and was declared a draw.

IMO, this could be a very boring fight. Hughes will dominate standing up but will still go for the takedown. I don't see H®oyce shooting on Hughes but it will get to the ground. On the ground, Royce can control quite a bit but Hughes will sprawl & brawl. In strict submission, Royce would win but he's going to try to take Hughes into his guard and Hughes doesn't care where he strikes from as long as he is on top. Royce will cover well and any mistake Hughes makes will be exploited so Hughes will stay tight and not take many chances.

There is a rumor going around the NW fight scene that Royce may fly Dennis Hallman down to train with. (Hallman has beaten Hughes twice).

Good God...90 minutes?  Hughes and his UFC 5 5-minute rounds is gonna be in trouble.  :D

1272486[/snapback]

If Royce gets on the ground in control, he defends as well as anyone and will control until a mistake is made. That type of fight can go on and on and on and on. Try to find film of Jeff Monsen in the annual Abu Dhabi tournament. Jeff is incredibly strong and just doesn't allow his opponents any movement once on the ground. Boring fights to watch.

Two of my NHB losses came vs a former wrestler who was very good on the mat. He never submit me or did any damage to me but he completely kept me from making any offensive move until time expired and he won the decisions. Not exciting fights but effective. There is generally a feud between JJ practitioners and wrestlers...there are great fighters from both sides. In those fights though, he just locked me up, or remained covered tight enough that I couldn't do anything.

If Royce gets on the ground in control, he defends as well as anyone and will control until a mistake is made.  That type of fight can go on and on and on and on.  Try to find film of Jeff Monsen in the annual Abu Dhabi tournament.  Jeff is incredibly strong and just doesn't allow his opponents any movement once on the ground.  Boring fights to watch.

Two of my NHB losses came vs a former wrestler who was very good on the mat.  He never submit me or did any damage to me but he completely kept me from making any offensive move until time expired and he won the decisions.  Not exciting fights but effective.  There is generally a feud between JJ practitioners and wrestlers...there are great fighters from both sides.  In those fights though, he just locked me up, or remained covered tight enough that I couldn't do anything.

1272495[/snapback]

Jeff will be in UFC 57 in February!