[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Third Annual Huddle Chess Debacle

billay

IMHO, Billay lost that game castling kingside.  Sky's attack was very kingside focused, and Billay could have made that a much more interesting game with the unorthodox castle.

Moving the king would have helped at the end, but it was over.  The kingside attack was too strong.  An unmolested King's Gambit is going to open HUGH opportunities for attack!!  I prefer to attack it early and often...

1387654[/snapback]

You're probably right, but at the time, nothing had yet opened up for sky on the kingside and I was still hoping that he was going to make a wrong move in the center. I would not open this way against sky again, but I find less experienced player are likely to get a little confused against the english opening.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually... that opening is a 'defense'. A very old opening. Left a move out, but it pretty much played out they way it should and is always worthwhile if black castles kingside.

Name of opening is: Stonewall Defense. Once it is set up white is supposed to attack from the queenside... :D but billay let me change things in the middle.

1387662[/snapback]

I know that the move progression didn't follow King's Gambit, but that's roughly where you ended up. If that was supposed to be a Stonewall defense, you moved through and out of it quickly and efficiently based on what was available on the board. There were some advanced tactics in there, and it was a brutal assault on the king's castle. Again, I fear the Sensei!

Billay, I hear what you are saying. I thought you were delaying castling as long as you did 1) to try and take over the tempo of the game and 2) to see where Sky's main attack was going to come from. It just seemed when I replayed the game that you jumped into the teeth of the attack. Once white starts throwing kingside pawns forward and opens up a lane for his Kingside rook to join in on the fun, that flank can become really tough to defend!!

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Wow, you guys need to get laid more. :D

:D I try to remember how many spaces my King can move and you guys are talking about gambits and Stonewalls. :D

FWIW, it's pure jealousy on my part. :D

1387754[/snapback]

My brain can only handle so much analysis and memorization. I have this longstanding intention to go through and try to memorize a number of openings, but I can't bring myself to do it. It just doesn't interest me that much. love to play though

Very interesting game....

;Title: Yahoo! Chess Game

;White: skylive5

;Black: hughones2002

;Date: Mon Mar 27 15:40:05 GMT 2006

1. e2-e4 g7-g5

2. d2-d3 h7-h6

3. f2-f4 g5xf4

4. c1xf4 b7-b5

5. b1-c3 a7-a6

6. c3-d5 d7-d6

7. c2-c4 f8-g7

8. a1-b1 g8-f6

9. f1-e2 h6-h5

10. d5xf6+ g7xf6

11. e2xh5 f6-h4+

12. g2-g3 h4-f6

13. h5-g4 b8-c6

14. g4xc8 d8xc8

15. g1-f3 c6-d4

16. o-o e7-e5

17. f4-e3 c7-c6

18. f3xd4 e5xd4

19. f1xf6 d4xe3

20. d1-f3 c8-d8

21. b1-e1 a6-a5

22. e1xe3 a5-a4

23. e4-e5 a4-a3

24. e5xd6+ e8-f8

25. f6xf7+ f8-g8

26. e3-e7 a3xb2

27. f3-g4++

Lot's of twists and turns.... :D

No sign of McNasty, Doggy, Sgt. Ryan, or polk. 

You guys still playing?

1391965[/snapback]

Sarge was here earlier....

None of the above have played any games? Wow. Tough playing four games in one day. :D

Still waiting for LosG and Bronco to show up.... hopefully I can get at least one out of the way today.

Well, I am beginning to understand why this is called "The Debacle"

I have competed in several types of game leagues. I generally prefer the assigned opponents route as you have gone here Billay, but that only works when people make an active effort to get their games in.

A suggestion for next time would be to assign a timeframe for each round, and ask people to get in as many games as they can in that timeframe against the player pool. The top 8 victory getters can then advance to single elimination. If there are ties, you could break the tie with the person that has more victories as black, the lowest number of total moves for their voctories (people would have to post games for that), or have a playoff.

Maybe there are other ways that this could go more smoothly. I'm not knocking anyone. People get busy with real life stuff, and that's more important, but when the opponents are assigned like they are it can become difficult to change up mid stream to help people get games in.

Well, I am beginning to understand why this is called "The Debacle"

I have competed in several types of game leagues.  I generally prefer the assigned opponents route as you have gone here Billay, but that only works when people make an active effort to get their games in.

A suggestion for next time would be to assign a timeframe for each round, and ask people to get in as many games as they can in that timeframe against the player pool.  The top 8 victory getters can then advance to single elimination.  If there are ties, you could break the tie with the person that has more victories as black, the lowest number of total moves for their voctories (people would have to post games for that), or have a playoff.

Maybe there are other ways that this could go more smoothly.  I'm not knocking anyone.  People get busy with real life stuff, and that's more important, but when the opponents are assigned like they are it can become difficult to change up mid stream to help people get games in.

1393072[/snapback]

'Tis true, Nick. Historically, this has been a dificult thing to get through. You have some good ideas here though, and I will try to implement some of them next year.

There's a thin line between hoping to entice those who have an intrest and having a pool of players who are committed to finishing the thing in a timely fashion. I'll send a batch of PM's to those who have not yet played. I'll put a timeframs on the thing and we'll just proceed with the records that we have.