[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BATTLE OF THE IDPs - Battle #3

Who would you draft / bid on?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Standard Re-draft League

• Julius Peppers, CAR
    • Aaron Schobel, BUF
  2. 2. Keeper / Dynasty League

• Julius Peppers, CAR
    • Aaron Schobel, BUF

After a brief travel-related hiatus... it's time for the third installment of IDP BATTLES, where we take two very similar IDPs and through discussion, determine who the Huddlers think is most worthy of drafting or bidding in auction leagues - both in re-draft and dynasty formats.

---

Julius Peppers is probably one of the most freakish athletes in the NFL or professional sports period. Aaron Schobel is probably one of the most underrated, unknown and under-appreciated IDPs out there.

Let's first review a few merits of each:

Julius Peppers, CAR (darin3)

1. As stated earlier, Peppers is a freakish athlete, capable of making any play on the defensive side of the ball.

2. A sacking machine; in his 4 years in the league, he's posted totals of 12 (as a rookie, in 12 games), 7, 11 and 10.5. He's only getting better, so expect those sacks to pile up.

3. Is always ready to make the "big play", which may lead to defensive TDs

4. With his freakishly long arms and quick reflexes, is one of the better pass-batting DEs.

5. Peppers is the heart and soul of this always-tough Panther defense.

Aaron Schobel, BUF (keggerz)

1. WHO? No not Matt the TE that played for the Bengals and now plays for Philly. Aaron is probably one of the best DL that you never heard of. All Schobel does is produce and he is getting better. After this year you can bet that everyone will know who AARON SCHOBEL is.

2. Aaron is a 5 year pro that hasn't missed one game and during his 5 years he has improved his solo tackles every year. With the amount of time the Bills defense will be spending on the field again this year I have no problem seeing Schobel matching, if not improving on his 54 solo tackles from last yr.

3. Schobel has averaged 64 total tackles and 10 sacks for the past 4 seasons. The scary part is that he seems to just be hitting his stride.

-----

In dynasty formats, you gotta think that Peppers, with his incredible upside, is the choice. In redraft leagues, though, no one would look at you sideways for taking the very consistent Schobel. Thoughts? :D

Edited by darin3

In dynasty formats, you gotta think that Peppers, with his incredible upside, is the choice. In redraft leagues, though, no one would look at you sideways for taking the very consistent Schobel. Thoughts? :D

it should also be noted that Peppers is one failed drug test away from a year suspension thus making him a bit of a concern come draft time(both redraft and dynasty) :D ...

fwiw I own both these guys in DW2 :D

The one step away from 1 year suspension - causes me to falter for a second but to honest-I would take either of them in a redraft or a dynasty. It is very very close but I think I would go Peppers first and then Schobel. This is a tough one. :D

Schobel has improved on his tackles 5 yrs straight. Can he improve on 54 solos? Buffalo's offense needs to sputter again. If you're in a 2-pt tackle league, I can see a guy taking Schobel first.

I would take Peppers first though, just because he brings the big play TD, high sack potential. He's already improved his game against the run. Teams would just run at him in the beginning. He's still very young and I think his game is going to age like fine wine. He's just so talented, he has to be picked first.

Last year was my first IDP experince and I drafted Peppers. I certinly dont know as much as you guys about IDP, but one thing I know for sure is that J. Peppers sucked big time. He is so overrated, and was probably my worst pick of the entire draft. I ended moving him for D. Burgess around the middle of the season and my team improved dramticly from that point foward

Last year was my first IDP experince and I drafted Peppers. I certinly dont know as much as you guys about IDP, but one thing I know for sure is that J. Peppers sucked big time. He is so overrated, and was probably my worst pick of the entire draft. I ended moving him for D. Burgess around the middle of the season and my team improved dramticly from that point foward

Peppers certainly had a down year last year. As such, he may be UNDER-rated by guys like you that were unfortunately burned by him last season.

Peppers an athleticly gifted guy with Mike Vick similarities.

That's actually somewhat of a good analogy in some respects. He's certainly a freak, but can be an all-or-nothing guy.