[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Francisco Liriano

Puddy

As a lifelong Tigers fan, I never root for other teams, especially in our division. However, I do root for specific players and I have been rooting for Liriano since his injury. He was so special as a rookie two years ago (the same year Verlander was a rookie) that I've been hoping they can compete against each other for their careers. Here's to hoping the kid makes it all the way back.

Francisco Liriano passes another test in Twins’ 3-1 victory over OriolesPreview | Box Score | Recap

1 hour, 34 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintFORT MYERS, Fla. (AP)—Francisco Liriano’s fourth start of spring training was encouraging for the Minnesota Twins.

Hoping to break camp with the team 15 months after elbow surgery, Liriano pitched four hitless innings Sunday in Minnesota’s 3-1 victory over the Baltimore Orioles. The left-hander struck out five and walked two in a scoreless outing.

“The first inning was a little bit like his last start,” Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. “The second inning, he started letting it go.

“The ball was moving pretty good. There was a little more progression. The slider had less tilt and more snap to it. He’s stretching out fine. He was better out there than the last time. We’ll see how he does Friday.”

Liriano’s fastball averaged 91-92 mph and topped out at 93-94, Gardenhire said. Liriano also worked on his slider. He threw 68 pitches and said about 12 were sliders.

Liriano, who went 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA as a rookie in 2006 until getting hurt, has lowered his spring ERA in each of his past three starts. He lowered it this time from 8.10 to 5.06.

Orioles starter Daniel Cabrera, meanwhile, dropped his spring ERA from 3.46 to 3.12. He struck out three and walked four in 4 1-3 innings.

Cabrera allowed three runs, one earned, and five hits. He made two fielding errors that hurt him.

“I thought he held things together pretty good,” manager Dave Trembley said. “Obviously, the fielding bugaboos hurt him. On the second one, I think he was trying to turn it before he caught it.”

Twins outfielder Jason Pridie went 2-for-4 with two runs. Joe Mauer, hitting .355 this spring, went 0-for-3 with a walk and scored a run.

Baltimore’s Chris Heinz, a former Twins catcher, started at first base and went 1-for-3 with a double and his team’s only run.

Trembley said he came away impressed with Liriano.

“I saw him in the minor leagues,” Trembley said. “It looks like he’s getting his arm strength back. He had a lot of movement on his pitches. His changeup looked real good.”

Today' column in the Star Tribune isn't as optimistic. Also, there's something wrong with this kid's head, IMO.

The Twins' most talented pitcher, Francisco Liriano, will probably remain in Fort Myers when the team travels north.

Sunday was Liriano's time to encourage the Twins' staff after being a disappointment for much of the spring. And he did, throwing a fastball in the low 90s and cutting loose his best sliders of the spring, even if they were far from the scythes of 2006.

"That was exciting today, but we're very leery," manager Ron Gardenhire said. "We want to do the right thing with this young man. There were glimpses today of good stuff. He was still winging it, misfiring it quite a bit, but it was better misfires this time than last time."

Saturday, Gardenhire detailed the many ways he and Anderson have felt deceived by Liriano in the past. Liriano downplayed the conflict.

Asked why he left instructional league last fall without telling Gardenhire and Anderson, Liriano said: "I wanted to stay, but at the same time I wanted to go home, because I spent the whole summer down here. I was here probably six months ... I don't know why. I just went home. I was feeling frustrated. My arm was kind of hurt by that time; it was bothering me a lot."

Gardenhire isn't the only one confused by Liriano, who's affable but seems to contradict himself or befuddle listeners whenever talking about his injury or decisions.

Today' column in the Star Tribune isn't as optimistic. Also, there's something wrong with this kid's head, IMO.

sounds like he's got a little manny ramirez in him. of course, if he performs well, like manny usually has, people will just chalk it up to "francisco being francisco". if he continues to struggle much -- with injuries, control, getting people out -- that sort of trait doesn't bode well. i love watching the kid pitch, so i hope it comes back together for him this year.

• 2 years later...

Once again, I hate it when it happens against the Tigers but it looks like Liriano is completely back. He's been dominant the last few games. No way any team is beating the Twins for the division crown this year. I didn't post it hear but I was completely baffled when most preseason pundits had the Twins struggling this year. The only question to me was if Nathan could be replaced. That lineup is just sick. And now with Liriano back, this division is not going to be close IMO.

Once again, I hate it when it happens against the Tigers but it looks like Liriano is completely back. He's been dominant the last few games. No way any team is beating the Twins for the division crown this year. I didn't post it hear but I was completely baffled when most preseason pundits had the Twins struggling this year. The only question to me was if Nathan could be replaced. That lineup is just sick. And now with Liriano back, this division is not going to be close IMO.

I hope you are correct, but its been in the Twins nature to make things interesting (if not hard on themselves) in recent years. I got a feeling it will be close at the end again. Maybe this year doesnt go to Game 163, but I dont see the Twins running away with it the way a lot of people are predicting right now...

• 3 weeks later...

Man, what is it with the Yankees? It's past the point of just saying that they have the Twins' number... it's in their (the Twins) heads. They simply can not beat this team. Meanwhile, I believe Detroit took 3 out of 4 from NY this week. I have a feeling this is going to be another close race in the AL Central.

Liriano has struggled a bit, the last couple of outings. Hopefully, he can bounce back and continue to have a nice year... If the Twins can get close to 15 wins from him, I really like their chances.

• 3 months later...

Huge win for the Twins tonight.... lots of story lines:

- First walk-off win in Target Field history.

- Twins blow a 4-0 early lead, a 5-4 late lead, go down 6-5 in the 10th, then win 7-6 on Jim Thome's 581st career home run.

- Ozzie's decision not to bring Thome back comes back to bite him, in a big way.

Huge win for the Twins tonight.... lots of story lines:

- First walk-off win in Target Field history.

- Twins blow a 4-0 early lead, a 5-4 late lead, go down 6-5 in the 10th, then win 7-6 on Jim Thome's 581st career home run.

- Ozzie's decision not to bring Thome back comes back to bite him, in a big way.

:wacko:

• 1 month later...
No way any team is beating the Twins for the division crown this year. I didn't post it hear but I was completely baffled when most preseason pundits had the Twins struggling this year. The only question to me was if Nathan could be replaced. That lineup is just sick. And now with Liriano back, this division is not going to be close IMO.

:tup::wacko:

I hope you are correct, but its been in the Twins nature to make things interesting (if not hard on themselves) in recent years. I got a feeling it will be close at the end again. Maybe this year doesnt go to Game 163, but I dont see the Twins running away with it the way a lot of people are predicting right now...

I stand corrected :wacko:

• 7 months later...
And Gopher sat him tonight in HOTD...

:tup: Unbelievable. He had been singled-handedly killing my ERA, the first month of the season. I should have known he would do something great as soon as I left him on the bench. :wacko:

:tup: Unbelievable. He had been singled-handedly killing my ERA, the first month of the season. I should have known he would do something great as soon as I left him on the bench. :wacko:

FWIW, I wouldn't have started him either.