[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UNC vs DUKE

Do Work Son

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

::wacko:

Seriously though, this game is probably for a #1 seed unless they both step on their dicks before the season is done.

The Dukies better step up there game. They been struggling lately. If they play like they did the last few games the tarheels are gonna have a field day against them.

Dicky V: OHHHHHHHH, this kids sensational BAYBEEEEE....This is why he was player of the year BAYYBEEE.....Nobody on this duke team can stop MR HANSBROUGH .

I think you let Hansbrough have his points jack up the defense on the other players and hit the outside shots.

Probably their best recipe for success. Deny Hansbrough the ball if you can but if you challenge every shot he'll end up shooting 15 freethrows. The key is hitting the outside shots as Duke lacks a solid inside scoring threat. Should be fun to watch.

UNC 78

Duke 66

Any Dookies lookin' for action? Duke is the most overrated team in the country this season.

tru dat - UNC should take them down. Dook is a limited squad

Imagine what Coach K could do with UNC's talent tho......... he is 10x the coach old Roy is

Heels by 7-10 points

Edited by wildcat2334

Anybody who knows a thing or two about this rivalry can tell you that, when they meet, records and rankings get thrown out the window. We've all seen Duke upset NC in the past when the difference in talent was far more significant than it is this year, and vice versa. Coach K always has his team prepared for games against the Tarheels... should be a good game.

That said, like I stated in the NCAA hoops thread, Duke is far too "guard-oriented" once again this year to do much damage in the post-season. If they do end up getting a 1 or 2 seed in the big dance, they will more than likely be my pick as top seed to most likely get knocked out in the first two rounds, just like they were last year.

tru dat - UNC should take them down. Dook is a limited squad

Imagine what Coach K could do with UNC's talent tho......... he is 10x the coach old Roy is

Heels by 7-10 points

I wouldn't go that far and, in college, it's not fair to completely give a coach credit (at least not one at a high profile program like Duke) for doing so much with so little. Coach K has every recruiting advantage possible, up to and including mad TV ads that run during the tourney (see Amex). If he can't figure out how to put together elite teams in this era, that's his problem, not something he should be given a free pass for. It's the same thing that so many would say about Nellie, even when he was coach and GM. Despite the fact that he did a crappy job of putting teams together, everyone would give him the same props. "Imagine what he could do..."

He's developed a really bad rep for failing to develop dynamic big men and that's going to continue to cost him recruits at that position. If you're 6'10", he's going to try and turn you into a enforcer, whether you have the body/game for it or not. Just this morning, I was reading in the local paper about two recruits that he went after really hard and ended up at other schools. Either of whom, had they signed, would have given him an answer inside tonight. My guess is that neither is 7 ft and wide so neither want to spend 3 years being forced into a position they have no chance of playing at the next level.

Does that mean that he can't coach? Certainly not. And obviously he showed this past summer what he can do with the best players in the US. Thing is, there was also a collective concern to reverse the recent bad trend of our hoops squad. So, not only did he truly get to choose from basically anyone he wanted (which hasn't been the case in many past teams), but dudes came knowing that this time, we weren't going to just try to get by on rep.

Regardless, I'll give you that he's likely a better game coach than Roy, but Roy's doing a much better job adapting to the modern game. Unlike K, Roy is trying to build an entire team out of coach's sons that lack the athleticism to compete at the elite level. That doesn't mean he can't coax a few remarkable games out of them and there's little reason to say that can't happen tonight. In fact, I'm nervous as hell. Whenever there's a ton of tangible reasons why the Heels should roll Dook, I'm always nervous. Because those are precisely the times when one of those mules goes 8-11 from 3 pts and the Devils pull one off.

Also, as Gopher said, there's been plenty of times when the teams weren't even close to evenly matched and the underdog stepped up and won. It's cliche, but you can throw records or squads out the window with these two.

I like Roy - i think he is great for the game - and a genuine coach that cares

but at the same time for my money, one of the more overrated coaches in recent memory - especially in game - dood had some especially nice choke jobs at KU - and I know underachieving coaching- I have lived and died on Lute and UA's early NCAA exits.......

I think Coach K will get two PF this year instate, Ryan Kelly and Mason Plumlee both go about 6'10 and ranked #3 and #6 , at their position, nationwide.

We'll see how that works out for him. I do know that Scout.com has UNC at #1 and Duke at #8 for that class, so it looks like he's not going to make up any ground.

Hopefully, for their sake, those two are suited to play nearly exclusively as 4s, rather than tall 3s or hybrids because that's what they're going to be doing. They're not the only highly touted guys taller than 6'8" that he's gotten ahold of lately but they all end up having to try to act like bangers, even if they're not.

What it seems he needs to do if he wants to recruit and develop dynamic 4s (unless he can find another elite college level 5 like... damn, I'm forgetting his name but he played along with Reddick of late) is to at least bring in some tall wide body who is there for nothing more than a free education at a great school and does nothing more than grab boards and use 5 fouls, so these guys don't turn into the next Josh McRoberts, Shavlik Randolph, or whats his face who left for Villanova.

We'll see how that works out for him. I do know that Scout.com has UNC at #1 and Duke at #8 for that class, so it looks like he's not going to make up any ground.

Hopefully, for their sake, those two are suited to play nearly exclusively as 4s, rather than tall 3s or hybrids because that's what they're going to be doing. They're not the only highly touted guys taller than 6'8" that he's gotten ahold of lately but they all end up having to try to act like bangers, even if they're not.

What it seems he needs to do if he wants to recruit and develop dynamic 4s (unless he can find another elite college level 5 like... damn, I'm forgetting his name but he played along with Reddick of late) is to at least bring in some tall wide body who is there for nothing more than a free education at a great school and does nothing more than grab boards and use 5 fouls, so these guys don't turn into the next Josh McRoberts, Shavlik Randolph, or whats his face who left for Villanova.

True, but barring early exits by Henderson or Singler (which I doubt) Duke is returning almost everyone (Paulus & Mcclure are done) next season. I'm not positive but I believe Hansbrough, Lawson, Ellington, Green, & Ginyard will all be gone. That makes up a lot of ground.

True, but barring early exits by Henderson or Singler (which I doubt) Duke is returning almost everyone (Paulus & Mcclure are done) next season. I'm not positive but I believe Hansbrough, Lawson, Ellington, Green, & Ginyard will all be gone. That makes up a lot of ground.

Granted, but Thompson actually played like a male when Hansbrough was injured earlier, the two Freshmen have looked very good at times, Zeller was also highly touted and lost for the year early and, actually, Ginyard might get a redshirt (they're making an appeal). Add to that the fact that it's hard to have the #1 rated recruiting class and not have some guys ready to contribute....

Certainly, they won't be nearly as loaded next year, but it's not going to be like they're completely starting from scratch either.

There is no doubt that UNC is deep but losing 4 potential NBA players is losing a lot.

I'm not saying it isn't. My initial point was that Roy is out recruiting K and it appears that isn't going to change for at least another year. That's really it. Well, that and the fact that UNC is going to be dangerously good for a team that just lost the four you mentioned.

Of course, they managed to be pretty damned competitive the year after they won it all and lost their top 7 scorers.