[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Giants/Phillies

Bier Meister

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats guys..... not the epic game i was hoping for (regardless of result)

honestly this is an epic series no matter what at this point...you guys call it torture but man it is hard to breathe during these games. Happy to be going back home but man we still need to get our bats going.

honestly this is an epic series no matter what at this point...you guys call it torture but man it is hard to breathe during these games. Happy to be going back home but man we still need to get our bats going.

i don't know..... if these teams had more history in the playoffs, i'd agree. this game in particular was sloppy on both sides and had a little controversy. if this were a tighter game i could appreciate it more (win or lose).

i don't know..... if these teams had more history in the playoffs, i'd agree. this game in particular was sloppy on both sides and had a little controversy. if this were a tighter game i could appreciate it more (win or lose).

defense aside the pitching and how close every game really has been is what lead me to write what I did.

Well a foul ball and some mistakes in the third decided this one!

You're exactly right....and if you had anyone other Sandoval playing third, it would have been a double-play, you'd have been out of the inning, and the Phils would have had every reason to be irate. You got a gift, and gave it away. In a game where every run made a difference, I was shocked to see a defensive liability put at third. For good measure, he also had a throwing error later in the game (that fortunately didn't cost them again).

The game was a microcosm of the entire series: some shoddy fielding, some poor balls/strikes umping, some timely hitting, some critical LOB, and plenty of white knuckles. I expect much of the same in game 6.

I posted after Game 2 we needed to win just one game to get home-field back...we got it. Now its time to flex, for our arms to start firing, for our playoff-tested experience to show, and the home crowd to take its toll on the visitors.

defense aside the pitching and how close every game really has been is what lead me to write what I did.

The game was a microcosm of the entire series: some shoddy fielding, some poor balls/strikes umping, some timely hitting, some critical LOB, and plenty of white knuckles.

this is why i don't find this an epic series.

Great series. Im glad you guys, as homers, are enjoying it. SF had them right where they wanted them . Ace on the mound at home to seal it but with Halladay on the other end it made it anyones game. Back to philly. Great pitching match ups still. Good stuff :wacko: Good luck fellas

You're exactly right....and if you had anyone other Sandoval playing third, it would have been a double-play, you'd have been out of the inning, and the Phils would have had every reason to be irate. You got a gift, and gave it away. In a game where every run made a difference, I was shocked to see a defensive liability put at third. For good measure, he also had a throwing error later in the game (that fortunately didn't cost them again).

The game was a microcosm of the entire series: some shoddy fielding, some poor balls/strikes umping, some timely hitting, some critical LOB, and plenty of white knuckles. I expect much of the same in game 6.

I posted after Game 2 we needed to win just one game to get home-field back...we got it. Now its time to flex, for our arms to start firing, for our playoff-tested experience to show, and the home crowd to take its toll on the visitors.

Speaking of this, it reminds me how much I think the 2-3-2 format actually magnifies the home-field advantage rather than lessening it like I'd imagine is the intention. It's hard to win 3 straight in the post-season and the team that has the 3 home games is put in a position where they're forced to in order to keep serve. Compare it to if the Giants had stolen one in Philly (as they did), then come home and held serve in their two games. If last night's was in Philly, they'd still have a home game to look forward to.

Speaking of this, it reminds me how much I think the 2-3-2 format actually magnifies the home-field advantage rather than lessening it like I'd imagine is the intention. It's hard to win 3 straight in the post-season and the team that has the 3 home games is put in a position where they're forced to in order to keep serve. Compare it to if the Giants had stolen one in Philly (as they did), then come home and held serve in their two games. If last night's was in Philly, they'd still have a home game to look forward to.

I agree to an extent.

On the other hand, if home team's hold serve as intended, the home-field advantage puts a team in a spot where they have their backs against the wall for two straight games (three, in the Phils case).

Not sure there's much advantage in knowing you have to play, essentially, two games of error-free baseball, get timely hitting, and great pitching, all at once or your season is over. While I and the Phils feel good that it is coming back to Philly on track, I am sure the Giants like their chances knowing they need to win just one game with Sanchez and Cain on deck.

Seems like a win-win for both in terms of each team liking their chances?

My wife and I start vacation tomm and she said we should head up to Philly and go to the game. Part of me really wants to go and part of me likes the fact that they last and only MLB playoff game I went to was game 6 in 1980.

so now I have to decide if we should drive the 5-6 hours up or not.

My wife and I start vacation tomm and she said we should head up to Philly and go to the game. Part of me really wants to go and part of me likes the fact that they last and only MLB playoff game I went to was game 6 in 1980.

so now I have to decide if we should drive the 5-6 hours up or not.

no way I'd pass up the chance to see my team, at home, in the NL championship

no way I'd pass up the chance to see my team, at home, in the NL championship

odds a in favor of doing it at this point but still need to talk thru the final details and secure the tickets...waiting to hear if my dad wants to go too and then will move forward quickly.

odds a in favor of doing it at this point but still need to talk thru the final details and secure the tickets...waiting to hear if my dad wants to go too and then will move forward quickly.

If you make the trip, PM me if you need help with a hotel or receommnedations. Might be tight getting a room, depending whats going on in the city, but I cna make some calls if you need me to.

Oh, and can you have your wife call my wife? :wacko: