[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shaquille O' Neal retired

Furd

Pretty much the only Laker I could have imagined coming to the C's and have me unabashedly rooting for him.

A true entertainer and a beast of a player when he put his mind to it

I remember like it was yesterday the day they announced he was coming to play for the Lakers. I was at - of all places - Fenway Park - for batting practice and me and my buddy that I was road trippin' with went ape-schit... and of course the resident C's fans didn't like that too much. :tup:

Dude was an absolute beast. My wife met him at a charity event and said he was so nice, and his hands were like... HUGE. :wacko:

I'm sick of all the media labeling him as the 4th or 5th best center to ever play the game. I see no reason why he couldn't be in the conversation for the best ever. Put Shaq in the 60's and see what happens. I'm not putting down Wilt or Russell, or necessarily saying they aren't better players than Shaq, but to automatically put him behind them and say he isn't on their level is incorrect to me. Also, the guy single-handedly kept the NBA afloat in the immediate post-Jordan era. He should be on every short list ever created. It was a treat to watch his career. Also, the best basketball player with the media and fans that I've ever seen. He'll be missed.

• 2 weeks later...

Had he the dedication to have worked on his game or his fitness he might have been the best ever. In truth he was an athletic freak, a force of nature, but unfortuantely with the basketball skills of a fairly average H.S. player.

Of course had he drive that might have come with anger or petulence as it sometimes does and we would have missed his gentle good humor.

In the end being considered among the top 5 centers of all time is lofty praise indeed. Kareem, Wilt, Russell, and then probably Shaq followed by some combination of Walton, Robinson, Malone, Olajawon, Lanier, Sabonis, Duncan, Miken, Ewing, Reed, Smit, Dawkins, Gilmore, Cowens, and some four or five other guys I have neglected to mention such that someone will undoubtably give me feces, thats fine company.