[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NHL draft and trades

The Darkside

wow, one day from the first round of the nhl draft and the Flyers make some major moves ,

Jeff Carter for the 8th overall, a 3rd rounder and Voracek (1st rd -7th overall) last year.

sending Richards to LA for Schenn, simmonds and a 2nd rounder. to make room for another bad contract to Bryzgalov. (9 yrs 51 mil ) for a 5.7 mil cap hit.

Brad Richards was asked to waive his no trade today in dallas and refused. going to be intresting draft tomorrow night.

I knew Carter was going to be gone in order to sign Bryz, I was suprised they moved Richards as well. I heard rumors though that he and Pronger did not get along very well. I know they have some good young talent on that team, but that's a lot of points to make up for next season.

Can't wait to see the Wild take another mighty leap into mediocrity tonight. :wacko:

free agency opens at noon tomorrow. Brad Richards is going to be one very rich man , and with plenty of teams way below the cap floor, there will be some very rich middle of the road players in the next few days just so teams can make it to 48 million.

Lots of talk that the Bolts and Stamkos are not close on a deal. Flyers in particular are rumoured to be offering a RFA offer sheet to him , TBay said it will match any offer but what if its a one year for the max salary this year (12-13 mil) the flyers would lose 4 first round picks if the bolts could not match , but with that talent , giving up the 25-30th overall pick probably will not matter to land a player like Stamkos.

Which happens first, Richards signing with someone or Stamkos leaving Tampa? That could be significant because if the Lightning can't hold onto Stamkos and Richards still hasn't made up his mind it would make a lot of sense to try and bring him back into the fold. It's a hugh loss in terms of the age and long term future of your team though.

I'm also curious as to where Erhoff ends up. I saw he basically told the Islanders to F off so they dealt his rights to Buffalo. Nothing more enjoyable than seeing the Isles get snubbed by a player once again.

I'm actually kind of excited about the prospects for MN this year. Hopefully they can keep either Theodore or Harding. Both want to start, but Theodore has a better chance of latching on as a #1 somewhere while Harding still has to show he can play after the surgeries last season. It would be nice to keep one of the two and let Hackett develop another year in Houston, but you never know. I still think trading Khudobin was a mistake. We also could use a veteran D man, not necessarily one with great offensive skills, but a solid - stay at home kind of guy to shore up what was bit of an issue last year. We won't make a splash in acquiring any major offensive talent I'm sure, this is Minnesota after all.

FWIW, I liked the draft day trade of Burns for Setoguchi, a prospect, and a first round pick.

I was readingTBAY was in the hunt for Richards , but if they sign stamkos to say 7 mill then Richards at min 7-8 mil, that only leaves them 3.5 mill under the cap, with a couple more roster players needed. They could do it , and be great , but there 3rd-4th lines and a decent backup goalie would suffer.

I think they need a 21 yr old Stamkos signed long term more than an over paid Richards for the next 6 years . Unless Tbay sees this as a chance to get max value (4 first round picks) out of a player they cant afford. or like you said , perhaps they make a run at Richards and once the rangers sign richards to a 1 billion over the next 150 years , they will sign stamkos.

The new sabers owner seems to have F-U money, he is paying who and want he wants, getting creative again with deals, Erhoff deal includes a 8 mil signing bonus and a 2 mil base salary, and then another 5 mill bonus next year and 3 mil base. 15 mil in guarenteed bonus money.

I was surpirsed by the Sharks-Wild Deal but I think the wild got the best of that one. The Cam Barker realesing is one that got me, I cant believe he regressed that much in two seasons ,to got from what everyone thought would be a top 4 d-man to no team at all.

Which happens first, Richards signing with someone or Stamkos leaving Tampa? That could be significant because if the Lightning can't hold onto Stamkos and Richards still hasn't made up his mind it would make a lot of sense to try and bring him back into the fold. It's a hugh loss in terms of the age and long term future of your team though.

I'm also curious as to where Erhoff ends up. I saw he basically told the Islanders to F off so they dealt his rights to Buffalo. Nothing more enjoyable than seeing the Isles get snubbed by a player once again.

I'm actually kind of excited about the prospects for MN this year. Hopefully they can keep either Theodore or Harding. Both want to start, but Theodore has a better chance of latching on as a #1 somewhere while Harding still has to show he can play after the surgeries last season. It would be nice to keep one of the two and let Hackett develop another year in Houston, but you never know. I still think trading Khudobin was a mistake. We also could use a veteran D man, not necessarily one with great offensive skills, but a solid - stay at home kind of guy to shore up what was bit of an issue last year. We won't make a splash in acquiring any major offensive talent I'm sure, this is Minnesota after all.

FWIW, I liked the draft day trade of Burns for Setoguchi, a prospect, and a first round pick.

I think the better move for the Wild is to let Theodore go and make Harding (provided he is healthy) the primary backup to Backstrom. They already have so much $ tied up in Backstrom that having a backup of Theodore's calibre (and price) is too expensive for a team that is far from being a contender. It would be nice to keep JT, but I think they gotta give Harding another chance to prove he can play. If he's still hurt or just flops, then I think they can safely close the book on him. If he shows some of the same ability he has before, they may have options to get something for him (or use him).

I find myself liking the trade as well. Burns still has a lot of ability and potential, but hasnt been the same player since those concussions. He was one of only a few bargaining chips at Fletcher's disposal that had any value toward bringing in some scoring so I think they had to do it. Hopefully, Setoguchi can provide some sniping ability on Mikko's right that Antti Missthenetagain never could. Sounds as though a lot of hockey people like Coyle so we'll see how he develops. And adding that additional first rounder (Phillips) was nice. He had some pretty good numbers in the Q though it is the Q and we've certainly seen players who scored a lot there top out as grinders (S Villeux comes to mind). So we'll see. SJ gets MN's #2 next year I believe, too.

I was readingTBAY was in the hunt for Richards , but if they sign stamkos to say 7 mill then Richards at min 7-8 mil, that only leaves them 3.5 mill under the cap, with a couple more roster players needed. They could do it , and be great , but there 3rd-4th lines and a decent backup goalie would suffer.

I think they need a 21 yr old Stamkos signed long term more than an over paid Richards for the next 6 years . Unless Tbay sees this as a chance to get max value (4 first round picks) out of a player they cant afford. or like you said , perhaps they make a run at Richards and once the rangers sign richards to a 1 billion over the next 150 years , they will sign stamkos.

The new sabers owner seems to have F-U money, he is paying who and want he wants, getting creative again with deals, Erhoff deal includes a 8 mil signing bonus and a 2 mil base salary, and then another 5 mill bonus next year and 3 mil base. 15 mil in guarenteed bonus money.

I was surpirsed by the Sharks-Wild Deal but I think the wild got the best of that one. The Cam Barker realesing is one that got me, I cant believe he regressed that much in two seasons ,to got from what everyone thought would be a top 4 d-man to no team at all.

Tampa lost Richards before because they had too much tied up in a couple players IIRC. Be interesting to see what they do.

As far as Barker, he quickly became my least favorite player on the Wild and I am happy to see he will no longer be stinking up the ice nor pressbox. That guy plays like he just has no interest at all. That trade will always be a knock against Fletcher and even moreso if Leddy turns into a stud.

ETA: Harding re-signed to 1yr deal. Makes sense.

Theodore to the Panthers.

Bruno to the Hawks

And friggin Jagr back in the NHL with Philly???

Edited by Delicious_bass

I think the better move for the Wild is to let Theodore go and make Harding (provided he is healthy) the primary backup to Backstrom. They already have so much $ tied up in Backstrom that having a backup of Theodore's calibre (and price) is too expensive for a team that is far from being a contender. It would be nice to keep JT, but I think they gotta give Harding another chance to prove he can play. If he's still hurt or just flops, then I think they can safely close the book on him. If he shows some of the same ability he has before, they may have options to get something for him (or use him).

I find myself liking the trade as well. Burns still has a lot of ability and potential, but hasnt been the same player since those concussions. He was one of only a few bargaining chips at Fletcher's disposal that had any value toward bringing in some scoring so I think they had to do it. Hopefully, Setoguchi can provide some sniping ability on Mikko's right that Antti Missthenetagain never could. Sounds as though a lot of hockey people like Coyle so we'll see how he develops. And adding that additional first rounder (Phillips) was nice. He had some pretty good numbers in the Q though it is the Q and we've certainly seen players who scored a lot there top out as grinders (S Villeux comes to mind). So we'll see. SJ gets MN's #2 next year I believe, too.

Tampa lost Richards before because they had too much tied up in a couple players IIRC. Be interesting to see what they do.

As far as Barker, he quickly became my least favorite player on the Wild and I am happy to see he will no longer be stinking up the ice nor pressbox. That guy plays like he just has no interest at all. That trade will always be a knock against Fletcher and even moreso if Leddy turns into a stud.

ETA: Harding re-signed to 1yr deal. Makes sense.

Theodore to the Panthers.

Bruno to the Hawks

And friggin Jagr back in the NHL with Philly???

I was on board with everything the Flyers did until they signed Jagr....::tup: what a waste and this move contradicts everything they have done this entire offseason....:wacko: I HATE FRIGGIN JAGR...

I was on board with everything the Flyers did until they signed Jagr....::lol: what a waste and this move contradicts everything they have done this entire offseason....:tup: I HATE FRIGGIN JAGR...

They are grabbing former Pens, so, that they have players who know how to win championships. :wacko:

They are grabbing former Pens, so, that they have players who know how to win championships. :wacko:

By that logic, the Wild must be trading to San Jose in order to get guys who know how to get to the playoffs.

In all seriousness though, Havlat for Heatley sounds good for the Wild. Granted Heatley is getting up there, but at least now we have a legit scoring line.

ETA: I just found out they are the same age, so....ooops on thinking Heatley was much older.

Can't believe all the ham and egger goalies that got signed before Vokoun too, and boy did he take a hit on salary. I thought he'd be one of the first to go, outside of Bryz, who I don't think is all that much better, if at all. While I'm not a big fan of the Caps, I hope Vokoun can at least give them a respectable presence between the pipes this season. That guy has played really well on a crappy Florida team for a while and deserves a break.

Edited by SeductiveNun

Heatley could be a steal for the WIld, the only concern is a guy that good but cant stay more than a couple years anywhere , seems like he is not a great team guy.

- Flyers get rid of Richards and Carter , then turn around and sign JAGR???

- The caps sending Semyon Varlamov to the AVS for what will more than likely will be a lottery pick , then signing Vokoun for 1.5 mill. what a steal for the Caps.

- all in all i was shocked at the deals Dale Tallon was throwing out, I see now why Chicago was in cap hell after winning the cup and still was until Tallon was nice enough to take Campbell's deal to Florida.

Edited by The Darkside

Championships? Do the Penguins have guys on the roster who were on the team in 1992?

Championships? Do the Penguins have guys on the roster who were on the team in 1992?

No. However, they do have plenty of players on the roster from their team that won the cup two years ago. :wacko:

Stanley Cup Winners currently on the Penguins roster:

Craig Adams

Matt Cooke

Sydney Crosby

Pascal DuPuis

Marc Andre Fleury

Eric Goddard

Tyler Kennedy

Kris Letang

Ben Lovejoy

Evgeni Malkin

Brooks Orpik

Jordan Staal

Dustin Jeffrey

Chris Kunitz

To name a few.

Stanley Cup Winners currently on the Penguins roster:

Craig Adams

Matt Cooke

Sydney Crosby

Pascal DuPuis

Marc Andre Fleury

Eric Goddard

Tyler Kennedy

Kris Letang

Ben Lovejoy

Evgeni Malkin

Brooks Orpik

Jordan Staal

Dustin Jeffrey

Chris Kunitz

To name a few.

And how many of them have been on more than one team that won the cup? (even setting aside that they weren't on the Penguins when they won the others) You know - championships.

And how many of them have been on more than one team that won the cup? (even setting aside that they weren't on the Penguins when they won the others) You know - championships.

:wacko: Just admit that you forgot that they won it two years ago, and we can move on.

Just to be a little pedantic

Craig Adams (Hurricanes and Pens)

Chris Kunitz (Ducks and Pens)

:wacko: Just admit that you forgot that they won it two years ago, and we can move on.

I didn't forget sh*t.

You're the guy that said that the Penguins know how to win "championships" even though they have one cup in the last 18 years or so.

Edited by Furd

I didn't forget sh*t.

You're the guy that said that the Penguins know how to win "championships" even though they have one cup in the last 18 years or so.

Ah, good point...... I did say the plural "championships". I honestly thought you forgot, but, it looks like you busted me. :tup: Nice work.

E.T.A. I also forgot you were from Detroit, which means there is no way you didn't remember two years ago. :lol: It also allows you to rip a team that has only won one cup in the last 18 years. :wacko:

Edited by Menudo

Ah, good point...... I did say the plural "championships". I honestly thought you forgot, but, it looks like you busted me. :lol: Nice work.

E.T.A. I also forgot you were from Detroit, which means there is no way you didn't remember two years ago. :rofl: It also allows you to rip a team that has only won one cup in the last 18 years. :wacko:

I still have the red ass from that series. :tup: