[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car experts part II

tazinib1

I got this problem with my battery. I don't know if its a short somewhere or not but my battery keeps going dead overnight. Its a brand new battery and I've had it charged 2x's now. Its not my alternator since I got that replaced a few months back. Sometimes I can operate my windows with no keys in the ignition, sometimes not. What in the world could be draining my battery?

The alternator was my first thought but you said you replaced that, so not sure. How about loose battery terminals?

I got this problem with my battery. I don't know if its a short somewhere or not but my battery keeps going dead overnight. Its a brand new battery and I've had it charged 2x's now. Its not my alternator since I got that replaced a few months back. Sometimes I can operate my windows with no keys in the ignition, sometimes not. What in the world could be draining my battery?

I am definitely not a car expert, but it doesn't sound like the alternator if the battery is going dead overnight when the car isn't running. The bolded sounds like your problem. My dad had a car that would do this. The problem was that something in the ignition was broken and you could turn the power on without a key in the ignition. You couldn't start the car but you could turn on the power which would drain the battery. I don't know what the exact problem was because he never got it fixed. He just made sure that the ignition was in the off position when he took out the key.

Sounds like a bad ignition switch which is leaving accessories on when in the off position.

I'm gonna get it checked out today. This sounds like a scenario that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

My first car had a bad voltage regulator in it. Sometimes my 8 track player would speed up because of it. I think that the mechanic that put the battery in it crossed some wires that messed it up. Nowadays, I think the voltage regulator is in the alternator. I know that tbimm has you covered here, but when you said that you're radio was wacky, it brought me back to memory lane.

Well since they were factory battery cables, they were tightened as far as they could go. When I bought a new battery before leaving to Canada for 10 weeks, I cleaned off the battery cables. Come to find out, the terminals were a tad smaller than my original battery. So there was no tight connection. And I also found out that my battery was never dead, I just dropped it off at Auto Zone to charge and picked it up as usual. Nobody their informed me I was charging a perfectly good battery :lol:

The guy at the shop found it humorous. I am probably the least mechanically inclined person in history.

Edited by tazinib1

[offtopicrant] Why in the fack are there like 8 different types of wiper blade arms? There should be one -- the J-hook. Slide that bitch on there, takes 2 seconds. No need for all the adapters. This isn't difficult. [/offtopicrant]

[offtopicrant] Why in the fack are there like 8 different types of wiper blade arms? There should be one -- the J-hook. Slide that bitch on there, takes 2 seconds. No need for all the adapters. This isn't difficult. [/offtopicrant]

F'n engineers!

F'n engineers!

I truly believe that they sit around smoking a bong & come up with ways to make it as hard a possible to work on cars. You should see some of the things we have to do to fix certain vehicles.

I truly believe that they sit around smoking a bong & come up with ways to make it as hard a possible to work on cars. You should see some of the things we have to do to fix certain vehicles.

Yep, anything you should be able to access yourself, like the air filter, turn signal bulbs, it's all these convoluted screws with weird heads or 10 clips that have to be connected in a certain sequence. That's how they get ya, sons of bitches. :shakesfist:

Man you aint kidding here. Batteries in fender wells. Alternators buried so deep that half the car has to come apart to get em out. Starters underneath intake manifolds. Don't even get me started on the LS and SC 400 by Lexus. Working on those things in like peeling and onion. Just pull off layers of plastic until you get to the actual engine. Oh yeah and how can you leave out the rack and pinion in the Trail Blazers and Envoys where they go through what amounts to a tunnel in the freakin oil pan itself.

You know of which I speak.

Man you aint kidding here. Batteries in fender wells. Alternators buried so deep that half the car has to come apart to get em out. Starters underneath intake manifolds. Don't even get me started on the LS and SC 400 by Lexus. Working on those things in like peeling and onion. Just pull off layers of plastic until you get to the actual engine. Oh yeah and how can you leave out the rack and pinion in the Trail Blazers and Envoys where they go through what amounts to a tunnel in the freakin oil pan itself.

You know of which I speak.

+1,000,000

Sometimes I just shake my head in disbelief when you have to take the entire front of the car off just to replace a headlight bulb.

Tonight I blew a tire on my way home from LA. I got home too late to go get a replacement so I'm riding on a doughnut. Just so happens that my my next door neighbor has almost the identical car as mine. Same year but she has an LS series and I have a GS I think. So I ask her if I could borrow her doughnut cause I got a gig in the morning and won't have time to get a new tire. Same size tire, every thing should be ok right? WRONG!!!! The Wheel is about an inch too small so I can't get the lugs into the wheel. ITS ALMOST THE SAME FREAKEN CAR!!!!! Kinda reminds of what cell phone companies do with their chargers. New phone? You need a new charger...forget about using your old one. It won't FIT!!!