[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cameron Meredith

banerak

4 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I was not familiar with the name, when I looked up his stats I was surprised that such a productive player was unknown to me, not sure how that happened.

He was an easy guy to miss.  The Bears were horrible.  Meredith had 2 nice games in weeks 5 and 6.  And then he didn't do anything until week 14.  By the time he looked roster worthy in week 15 or 16, most fantasy owners weren't still looking at free agents much.  He seems like a guy who maybe isn't very good but was the beneficiary of the Bears not having anyone to throw to except Jeffery.  He seems way overvalued at his current adp of 79.21.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I was not familiar with the name, when I looked up his stats I was surprised that such a productive player was unknown to me, not sure how that happened.

But based on his stats, and the fact that Bears don't have a lot of other talent at WR I highly doubt this guy is a sleeper, at least not in the sense that I use the term (unknown to most and unlikely to be drafted until the last few rounds).

Meredith is still going very late in drafts so he could still be considered a sleeper.  I drafted him as my WR6 on Saturday.

Just now, michaelredd9 said:

He was an easy guy to miss.  The Bears were horrible.  Meredith had 2 nice games in weeks 5 and 6.  And then he didn't do anything until week 14.  By the time he looked roster worthy in week 15 or 16, most fantasy owners weren't still looking at free agents much.  He seems like a guy who maybe isn't very good but was the beneficiary of the Bears not having anyone to throw to except Jeffery.  He seems way overvalued at his current adp of 79.21.

Way overvalued?  On FFC his current ADP in standard scoring is 9.06, 102 overall.   How many team WR1 players are you going to be able to get that late?  Meredith and Britt are two of the best ones I can think of.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Way overvalued?  On FFC his current ADP in standard scoring is 9.06, 102 overall.   How many team WR1 players are you going to be able to get that late?  Meredith and Britt are two of the best ones I can think of.

We don't know that he'll be Chicago's best receiver.  At this point he looks like the least junky of a bunch of junky receivers on a team with either a junky quarterback or a rookie quarterback.  That's not much of an endorsement.  When looking at FFC's adps (and I'm not sure their adps are accurate since they don't explain where they get their adps), wide receiver probably isn't the best position to draft in the 9th round.  Tight end has nice value.  Zach Ertz and Hunter Henry both have adps lower than Meredith.  Ben Roethlisberger and Samaje Perine also have lower adps than Meredith.

1 minute ago, michaelredd9 said:

We don't know that he'll be Chicago's best receiver.  At this point he looks like the least junky of a bunch of junky receivers on a team with either a junky quarterback or a rookie quarterback.  That's not much of an endorsement.  When looking at FFC's adps (and I'm not sure their adps are accurate since they don't explain where they get their adps), wide receiver probably isn't the best position to draft in the 9th round.  Tight end has nice value.  Zach Ertz and Hunter Henry both have adps lower than Meredith.  Ben Roethlisberger and Samaje Perine also have lower adps than Meredith.

I managed to take Meredith in double digit rounds after I took Ertz in the 10th round and after Rivers.  I feel he has great upside for a pick that late, especially since he's listed as the WR1 for the Bears.  Right now he's most experienced Bear's receiver, the other guys are all new to the team.  I know it could be a toss up for who finishes at the top but the best receiver is most likely going to put up 1,000 yards and Meredith is that guy right now.

History has not been kind to undrafted wide receivers.  They seem to always have a low ceiling.  It is a success story if they can just be a starter on a team.  There isn't one receiver anywhere near elite in the NFL right now that went undrafted.  Victor Cruz was undrafted but isn't good at this point.  Willie Snead is the cream of the crop of UDFAs currently in the NFL.  I like the players I draft to have the potential to be elite.  I don't consider a receiver who gets 70 receptions, 1,000 yards, and 6 touchdowns to have much value.

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

History has not been kind to undrafted wide receivers.  They seem to always have a low ceiling.  It is a success story if they can just be a starter on a team.  There isn't one receiver anywhere near elite in the NFL right now that went undrafted.  Victor Cruz was undrafted but isn't good at this point.  Willie Snead is the cream of the crop of UDFAs currently in the NFL.  I like the players I draft to have the potential to be elite.  I don't consider a receiver who gets 70 receptions, 1,000 yards, and 6 touchdowns to have much value.

I'd love to see your list of drafted WR and their numbers at the end of the season, have a hard time believing every WR you have exceeds those numbers. Seeing lots of good WR from 2016 with numbers at that level or lower

• Like 2

I don't consider a receiver who gets 70 receptions, 1,000 yards, and 6 touchdowns to have much value.

I might be misinterpreting you here but that's WR2 territory for sure, at least in standard leagues.

Last year 1,000yds and 6 TDs would have been around WR20-23. Last year was a bit rough for WR so let's be conservative and say it's low-WR2/WR3 territory. If you play in a 3WR or 3WR+flex then those stats definitely have value.

• Like 1

There were 14 WRs last year that had 1,000 or more yards.  How many did you have on your roster?  That's not many WRs that have value according to your standards.  There are quite a few WRs that were under your criteria that I bet many would think still have plenty of value.   Michael Thomas seems to be a pretty coveted player yet he didn't reach those numbers.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, stethant said:

I might be misinterpreting you here but that's WR2 territory for sure, at least in standard leagues.

That could be Meredith's ceiling.  He will very likely do worse.  Maybe even flop.  The best UDFA wide receiver currently in the NFL is Willie Snead who was the 32nd highest scoring wide receiver last year.  And he has Drew Brees throwing to him, not Mike Glennon.  There a ton of wide receivers who get close to that.  I'm not investing draft capital into a player who will get me a 10% or 20% upgrade over a waiver wire flavor of the week.  I draft players with elite potential.

53 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I'd love to see your list of drafted WR and their numbers at the end of the season, have a hard time believing every WR you have exceeds those numbers.

I like to use high draft picks on wide receivers.  Wide receivers are a predictable commodity.  I usually have 3 wide receivers in the first 4 rounds.  I usually have 4 wide receivers by round 7 and do not draft another unless it's flyer in round 14.  I'll draft Meredith Baxter Birney in round 14.  I like to use waiver wire moves on wide receivers since several receivers who do well in the first few weeks end up having solid seasons.  If you draft 6 or 7 wide receivers, you won't have the roster space to be active in free agency at the wide receiver position.  Round 9 is a perfect place to draft a tight end and a quarterback.  Possibly a second tight end.  Or maybe a running back like Sameje Perine or CJ Prosisse.  Not some bum who is lucky just to have a job in the NFL.

43 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Michael Thomas seems to be a pretty coveted player yet he didn't reach those numbers.

Michael Thomas had 92 receptions, 1,137 yards and 9 touchdowns.  Unless you are taking about the Michael Thomas I went to high school with.  He definitely didn't reach those numbers.  He was lucky to graduate.

Edited by michaelredd9

3 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Michael Thomas had 92 receptions, 1,137 yards and 9 touchdowns

That's what he finished over the 17 week NFL season but very few fantasy football leagues have a game in week 17.  I go by my league's stats which only counts the first 16 weeks since those are the only ones that count.  There were only 14 WRs that finished with 1,000 or more yards receiving and Thomas was not one  He had 82 catches for 981 yards and 8 TDs.

5 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

That could be Meredith's ceiling.  He will very likely do worse.  Maybe even flop.  The best UDFA wide receiver currently in the NFL is Willie Snead who was the 32nd highest scoring wide receiver last year.  And there a ton of wide receivers who get close to that.  I'm not investing draft capital into a player who will get me a 10% or 20% upgrade over a waiver wire flavor of the week.  I draft players with elite potential.

If I can get a player near the double digit rounds that is most likely going to be the number one player on his team at a position then that means value for me.  If I still need to draft a QB or TE then those positions are going to take priority of course but if I'm just filling in bench spots I'll take him.  I'd much rather have him over a second QB or TE like some people are doing. 

If you only draft elite WR (3 in first 4 rounds while most other owners probably have 2 or less as some will draft RB/QB too) then maybe the guy isn't of any value. But that is hardly a common thing for most owners. The whole "he's undrafted and undrafted guys have no success" is baffling, but again I guess true if all you covet is elite WRs.

Marques Colston was nearly undrafted (252nd pick out of 255) , and he had a pretty good career. And while Cruz may not be so good now he was before. Some other good ones Wayne Chrebet, Drew Pearson, Wes Welker, Rod Smith.

Meredith has some value to many fantasy owners.

21 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

That could be Meredith's ceiling.  He will very likely do worse.  Maybe even flop. 

On this we agree 100%. My main league is with a bunch of Chicago homers and I'm very confident they will fall on this sword for me.

6 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Cruz Wayne Chrebet, Drew Pearson, Wes Welker, Rod Smith.

That is literally all of the good UDFA wide receivers in the history of the game.  I'm impressed by the Drew Pearson reference.  You probably Google searched "best undrafted wide receivers ever" to get that list.  So once every 4 or 5 years, an undrafted wide receiver does become elite or at least semi-elite.  Cameron Meredith has a 5% chance to enter the Hall of Fame of UDFA wide receivers.

Edited by michaelredd9

4 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

That is literally all of the good UDFA wide receivers in the history of the game.  I'm impressed by the Drew Pearson reference.  You probably Google searched "best undrafted wide receivers ever" to get that list.  So once every 4 or 5 years, an undrafted wide receiver does become elite or at least semi-elite.  Cameron Meredith has a 5% chance to enter the Hall of Fame of UDFA wide receivers.

Yes I did a search to get the list, because I knew there were some but wasn't sure why they were. I also remembered Colston being pretty elite despite not being drafted high at all, seeing how low he went he comes close to qualifying as undrafted.

Just seems odd to dismiss an entire category of players (undrafted), but based on your "I only draft elite WRs" I suppose it makes sense. Also don't recall ever hearing a fantasy owner say they only draft elite playes at a position. Meredith had good enough numbers and if he's the WR1 he'll have value for most fantasy owners, and I'll be looking at him in later rounds.

7 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Who is expecting to get a HoF player late in the draft?  All I care about is finding a guy that can put up WR1 or WR2 numbers occasionally or possibly be trade bait.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Who is expecting to get a HoF player late in the draft?  

Hall of Fame of UDFA wide receivers.  The entry requirements are way less stringent than the real HoF.  No undrafted wide receiver is in the real Hall of Fame.

4 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Also don't recall ever hearing a fantasy owner say they only draft elite playes at a position.

People have been using their first two picks on running backs for decades.  If you use your first few picks on a certain position, it doesn't make sense to keep drafting at that same position.  I've never seen much value in low-end receivers.  And I like having roster spots open at wide receiver to be active in free agency.

1 minute ago, michaelredd9 said:

Hall of Fame of UDFA wide receivers.  The entry requirements are way less stringent than the real HoF.  No undrafted wide receiver is in the real Hall of Fame.

Ahh...  That makes more sense.  Regardless of that, I don't even need that caliber of player.  Like I said, I just need a guy that I know can put up WR1 numbers occasionally.  Whether I draft Meredith would depend on a lot of things so I'm not saying that everyone should be taking him.  It depends on the situation and what your roster looks like.

Glennon may be terrible, but Meredith put up big numbers with Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley throwing passes once Kevin White and Alshon Jeffery were injured. Therefore, I don't think the "Glennon sucks" argument holds water.

Having said that, I agree with the idea that Glennon keeps any Bears WR from being elite (WR1). If you really want a guy with that kind of upside, you need to look where the QB play, scheme and situation support it. Even UDFA receivers can potentially achieve low end WR1s status if those factors align. 

Does Kevin White effect in any way Meredith's production? 

I mean I know White's be an absolute disaster I just wish the huddle would not print S like this "Huddle Up: Injuries have caused White to miss 28 of his first 32 games, but the former first-round pick could end up being Chicago's No. 1 receiver if he can stay healthy. He is worth the risk as a WR4." 

Do I need to read the Wheaton and Cruz one as well.. is it going to say something to the effect of 'Cruz is salsa'ing his way to WR1 in Chicago'.. lol.

Everything I have read and heard on the local sources is the wide outs have been hot garbage.  Meredith and the rest of the squad have been consistently failing to get any real separation from coverage since training camp.  White has been noticeably worse from what I've heard, and the phrase bust has been mentioned several times by some of the local pundits.   Meredith is probably the best draft bet, but I wouldn't have anything more then mediocre or slightly worse expectations.