[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Random Off-season Signings

darin3

Didn't think this deserved its own thread, and figured there will be signings like this that could prompt some discussion.

Patriots signed TE Troy Niklas, formerly of the Cardinals, to a one-year contract.
Niklas was the 52nd overall pick in the 2014 draft and is still just 25. However, he suffered a number of high-ankle sprains as a rookie and missed most of 2016 with a wrist injury. He's big (6'6/270) and strong (27 bench reps) with long arms but is a mediocre athlete and real injury-prone. If Niklas can stay healthy, he could push for No. 2 tight end duties for the Patriots. 
Apr 4 - 3:56 PM

Always liked this guy in the TE dead zone of Arizona.  Dwayne Allen was a complete bust in NE and with Gronk's injury proclivity, I would think Niklas could garner some attention.

8 minutes ago, kdko said:

Couldn't find a thread for it in the forums, I thought Pouncey being signed by the Chargers was a good move.  I think Gordon and Ekeler can both improve more this year.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22837201/los-angeles-chargers-center-mike-pouncey-agree-2-year-contract

The Bolts have a couple of good young OLs they added in last year's draft too.  They may actually hit another one in this draft.  Good things for Melvin Gordon.

Free agent Eric Decker is visiting the Ravens on Thursday

Decker has also visited the Raiders, but he has struggled for real interest despite finishing last season well for the Titans. The Ravens have added John Brown and Michael Crabtree this offseason, but they still could use some pass-catching help. Decker caught 54 passes for 563 yards and a score last season in Tennessee.

Decker was a bust in TEN but that offense really didn't use the chain-mover much.  Could things be different in BAL?  Or somewhere else?  Maybe this guy's tank is on E.

Sucks ass, is that code for something? I've seen at least one Eagle fan say he dropped a ton of passes, but I cannot find good passes dropped stats info to do some comparison to other WR.

Doesn't seem like a horrible WR and was pretty good his first 2 years. In his 4 year career he catches 65% of all targets. He had a down year last year with the Bills, and missed 6 games. Even so his average in 4 years is 62-750-5 and the first 2 years in PHI were more like 75-950-8.

He may not be elite, but if he sucks ass so do a lot of other NFL WRs.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Sucks ass, is that code for something? I've seen at least one Eagle fan say he dropped a ton of passes, but I cannot find good passes dropped stats info to do some comparison to other WR.

Doesn't seem like a horrible WR and was pretty good his first 2 years. In his 4 year career he catches 65% of all targets. He had a down year last year with the Bills, and missed 6 games. Even so his average in 4 years is 62-750-5 and the first 2 years in PHI were more like 75-950-8.

He may not be elite, but if he sucks ass so do a lot of other NFL WRs.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MattJo00.htm

69.4% last year, but he only had 25 catches.  His catch % rate overall in his career is pretty good.  Looks like the guy can't stay healthy though.  Hands aren't the biggest problem.

Edited by kdko
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Ugh I traded Matthews away for peanuts a week or so back.  Oh well.  At least he's going to a place where there appear to be a ton of cooks in the kitchen.  Pun semi-intended.

Moving from Cooks thread:

Matthews is nowhere near as crafty as Edelman.  No way he replaces him.  This is just another example of the Pats bringing in talented castoffs to see if they mesh.  I can see Matthews working out but he is not going to replace Edelman nor will he provide what a guy like Hogan provides.  

There's still guys like Dorsett that could command targets too.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Jordan Matthews' hands are soft.  Everything about him is smooth.  But he is a player who has had boneheaded drops.  In his first 3 years, he dropped 6, 5, and 6 passes according to Fox Sports.  He had 2 drops last year in limited time.  A lot of his drops over his career should have been simple catches.  Bill Belichick won't tolerate a lot of bad drops.  But being on the Patriots might help Matthews gain some focus.  Here is a video of the Eagles 2015 dropped passes.  Here is a video of the Eagles dropped passes in the first nine weeks of 2016.  Matthews has some doozies in both videos.  His drops in the 2016 video aren't as bad as his 2015 drops.  So maybe he improved over that span.

I might draft Matthews late.  But more likely, Matthews is a player I will target as a street free agent early in the season while he is only playing 30%-40% of snaps.  He will be a WR4 as long as Edelman is healthy.  But Edelman has at least a 50% chance of incurring a season-ending injury.  Whoever plays slot receiver with Tom Brady produces.  Last year, Danny Amendola only played 49.87% of offensive snaps in the regular season.  He had 61 catches, 659 yards, and 2 touchdowns.  In his three playoff games, Danny had 26 catches, 344 yards, and 2 touchdowns.  That is some very high per/snap production for a journeyman receiver.  If Matthews plays 70%-80% of snaps, he could potentially be a top-10 fantasy wide receiver.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Snead is going to the Ravens  

Ravens signed Willie Snead, formerly of the Saints, to a two-year, $7 million contract.
The deal includes a $2 million signing bonus. Since Snead was a restricted free agent, the Saints had the option to match his offer sheet, but they declined. Snead was foiled by a suspension, injuries, and a lack of playing time last season, but he was a consistently productive part of New Orleans' passing attack in 2015 and 16, racking up 141 catches for 1,879 yards and seven touchdowns those two seasons. He is a good get for a team which needs as much help in the passing game as they can find. Apr 23 - 10:38 AM

2 minutes ago, Caveman_Nick said:

They love their castoffs.  Matthews, Dorsett, Patterson, and Britt, all first or second round talents, and each one hoping to resurge so they can get paid somewhere else.

I could see any of those guys jumping up based on opportunities in that offense.  Patterson and Dorsett are my favorites at this point.

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Looks like Snead is going to the Ravens  

I doubt Snead will have much of a fantasy impact but he is another nice signing for Flacco.  Like Crabtree, Snead is an unathletic, physical receiver who doesn't get much separation but plays with intensity and has great hands.  Crabtree and Snead can both handle a Flacco fastball.  Flacco still has a rocket arm and is at his best when he can be a gunslinger.  The Ravens also tried for Jarvis Landry who has similar receiving traits as Crabtree and Snead.  Ozzie Newsome definitely had a certain type of receiver that he was going to try to get this off-season.

Edited by michaelredd9

39 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

I doubt Snead will have much of a fantasy impact but he is another nice signing for Flacco.  Like Crabtree, Snead is an unathletic, physical receiver who doesn't get much separation but plays with intensity and has great hands.  Crabtree and Snead can both handle a Flacco fastball.  Flacco still has a rocket arm and is at his best when he can be a gunslinger.  The Ravens also tried for Jarvis Landry who has similar receiving traits as Crabtree and Snead.  Ozzie Newsome definitely had a certain type of receiver that he was going to try to get this off-season.

Calvin Ridley may land there too.