[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jason Witten to retire?

tazinib1

34 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

A couple of quality tight ends and/or wide receivers will still be cut from other teams.  Some good bargains can be had in August and September.  Dallas seems the most likely place for them to land.  Too bad Dez burned his bridges with Dallas.  Dallas could really use him at a reduced price.

+1

As the quality of run blocking and the quality of their pass catchers goes down, the incentive to use Zeke in the pass game goes up.  Only getting 30 to 40 catches significantly hurts his fantasy value when multiple other running backs are getting 80+ catches.  It would be nice if the Cowboys' offensive ineptitude helps Zeke average 3 or 4 catches per game.  He hasn't been bad in the pass game.  He caught 68.4% of passes with 1 drop last year.  He caught 82.4% of passes with 1 drop his rookie year.

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps the single most disappointing aspect of Witten's retirement is this. Neither Romo nor Witten will taste the sweet juice of a SB of which both owe their broth of bitter to a singular moment. Of all the opportunities that fell away from the fumbled snap, to the all the years in between where Romo to Witten with their patented seam route for big firsts and touchdowns. The call on 4th and 1 against the Packers was the culmination of years of crushing thievery. It is known by all who watch football that Dez Bryant caught the ball over the top of the defender, powered his way towards the endzone and tried to pound the ball over the goal line. While in doing so made more then three football moves while controlling the ball even after the force of pounding over the goal line. I believed at the time that this single point in their history could well of been the play that took Romo, Witten and Dez into the history books for making one of the great plays in playoff history propelling them to the Superbowl. However, after watching what Rodgers did to us in Dallas 2 years ago, I have capitulated to the fact that Romo and Witten were to end their careers as perhaps the greatest Cowboys at their position. Romo for all the passing records and Witten as perhaps the Goat of TE's for the Cowboys. Rodgers throw to the sideline the year before last just sickened me and forced me to accept the fact that had Dez were given the catch we still did not have the defensive prowess needed to close the game out against Rodgers.

That being said, for all the joy, heart break and frustration it seems that Witten's career just flew by. I remember it like yesterday him breaking his jaw and playing through the pain. Watched as he got his helmet knocked clean off in Philly but rumbled down field none the less helmet-less towards the goal line in Philly. Witten always found a way to get open despite having the speed of an average lineman. His blocking ability will be missed. It is truely a shame that he won't play in the SB. He is and was the best pro and a leader of our football team. 

Witten, you will be missed. I thought he would play at least one more year but I suppose the sinew has lost it's strength and won't allow him to push on for one last campaign. Well done Witten, well done. Thank you for all the memories and I wish you well in life after Cowboys. 

On 5/26/2018 at 2:20 PM, Cowboyz1 said:

I have capitulated to the fact that Romo and Witten were to end their careers as perhaps the greatest Cowboys at their position.

Witten, definitely.  Romo at best #3 behind Staubach and Aikman.  I'm not sure I would put Romo much above Danny White. 

Fair or not from a statistical standpoint, playoff wins and Super Bowls bear consideration when you're talking about NFL QBs.

37 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Witten, definitely.  Romo at best #3 behind Staubach and Aikman.  I'm not sure I would put Romo much above Danny White. 

Fair or not from a statistical standpoint, playoff wins and Super Bowls bear consideration when you're talking about NFL QBs.

I agree with you there. Playoff and SB wins are key but I still have to put Romo in  a class all by himself when it comes to play making and stats. Maybe not ahead of staubach but certainly ahead of Aikman. Loved watching him play and I saw all three play in my lifetime. Shame Romo and Wit couldn't get to the dance but I have to believe that was due in part to the bad calls against the cowboys and no calls on defense. Yep conspiracy.

Oh God Cowboy fans still crying about that no TD by Dez in the playoffs. That was consistent with the calls being made at that time, nobody was robbed or treated wrong.

Romo greatest Cowboy QB, no way.  Its the Romo slobberfest in overdrive.

6 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Oh God Cowboy fans still crying about that no TD by Dez in the playoffs. That was consistent with the calls being made at that time, nobody was robbed or treated wrong.

Romo greatest Cowboy QB, no way.  Its the Romo slobberfest in overdrive.

My opinion on that play is that there were still about two minutes remaining (maybe a little more?), and Dallas hadn't stopped Rodgers all second half.  Their defense was gassed, and as we've seen in two games since, Rodgers would have had no trouble slicing them up one more time.

9 hours ago, Cowboyz1 said:

I agree with you there. Playoff and SB wins are key but I still have to put Romo in  a class all by himself when it comes to play making and stats. Maybe not ahead of staubach but certainly ahead of Aikman. Loved watching him play and I saw all three play in my lifetime. Shame Romo and Wit couldn't get to the dance but I have to believe that was due in part to the bad calls against the cowboys and no calls on defense. Yep conspiracy.

No way Romo is ahead of Aikman.  Aikman was all business when it came to his job.  Romo definitely lacked Aikman's drive and professionalism.  Remember the little trip to Cabo with Jessica Simpson during the playoffs in 2008? Not that I blame him, mind you....but still, man, there's plenty of time for those shenanigans after the season.

• Like 1