[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chris Godwin

michaelredd9

Chris Godwin has a lot of physical talent.  Is he going to breakout in his second year or are there too many mouths to feed?

Chris Godwin 'making a lot of plays' each day 
Jun 12 - 10:12 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/12201/chris-godwin

The Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud singled out sophomore WR Chris Godwin among his Bucs' standouts this spring.
Per Stroud, Godwin "makes a lot of plays every day" in practice and has shined into minicamp. Godwin has been the subject of constant praise throughout the offseason after he finished his rookie year on a high note down the stretch and performed admirably in spot starts. OC Todd Monken has said Godwin has earned the right to start and should see heavy snaps in three-wide sets if the coaching staff allows him to leapfrog Adam Humphries as the No. 3 wideout. Jun 12 - 10:12 PM
Source: Chris Godwin on Twitter  (That should say Rick Stroud on Twitter)

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

Chris Godwin has a lot of physical talent.  Is he going to breakout in his second year or are there too many mouths to feed?

Outside of Evans, no one else there should be considered vested. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Def. said:

Outside of Evans, no one else there should be considered vested. 

DeSean Jackson might not be a great fantasy wide receiver but he is a great real football wide receiver.  He is one of the best deep threats in the NFL.  PFF gave him a grade of 82.5 last year which was the 16th best wide receiver grade overall.  Absent an injury, Godwin passing up DeSean for 2 receiver sets isn't realistic.  The Buccaneers also potentially have 2 very good tight ends.  Jameis Winston likes throwing to tight ends.  They are bound to use 2 tight end sets at least some of the time.  And Humphries isn't going to completely disappear.  He did catch 73.5% of his targets last year.  As things stand now, I think Godwin projects to getting 50% of snaps.  But I do think he is a player who could go from borderline roster-worthy to a WR2 if an injury occurred to Evans or Jackson.

15 hours ago, darin3 said:

From what I'm reading Jackson could be gone prior to his contract expiring after the '19 season.  Could be pure message board speculation, though.

It makes sense that DeSean will be gone.  Godwin has the speed to replace him.  He was a great deep ball receiver in college.  Clearly, the Buccaneers wanted to put an emphasis on getting chunk yardage plays by adding DeSean and Godwin last year.  Mike Evans is also a good deep ball receiver because of his ability to come down with contested balls.  Unfortunately, Jameis Winston is a poor deep ball passer.  His bread and butter is short passes especially crossing routes.  Last year, Winston's adjusted completion percentage ranked 2nd in the NFL on short passes (0-9 yards) but his adjusted completion percentage ranked 25th in the NFL on deep passes (20+ yards).  Having 3 good deep threat wide receivers is wasted on him.  If DeSean didn't have $7.5 million guaranteed of his $11 million salary, he could have been cut this year.  With the emergence of Godwin, DeSean being traded later this off-season is still within the realm of possibility.  I don't think it would be impossible to find a trading partner willing to spend $11 million on DeSean if that team thinks they are lacking a legitimate deep threat receiver.

Edited by michaelredd9

Godwin is a strong dynasty hold. If DJax can still play, his owner will start getting annoyed by week 6 or so and he will be a strong buy at dirt cheap prices. I expect some flashes from Godwin this year, but 2019 is going to be his breakout year.

• 3 months later...

Chris Godwin has the the 7th highest PFF grade for a receiver this season.  He has touchdowns in 3 games.  I am dropping him in 2 leagues.  There are too many mouths to feed in Tampa Bay.  Godwin has only gotten 50% of snaps in each of the last 3 games (for some reason he got 70% of snaps in week 1).  Slot receiver Adam Humphries has been playing more than 70% of snaps.  Tampa has 4 good receivers and 2 good tight ends.  That is about 3 too many mouths.   Godwin needs injuries to Evans and/or Jackson to be a worthwhile fantasy start.

If the leagues I owned Godwin in required 3 receivers in the starting lineup, I would gladly keep him as my 5th receiver.  But I am only required to start 2 receivers in these 2 leagues.  Tier 3 wide receivers have virtually zero value in leagues that require only 2 receivers to be started.  I think it is best to roster only 3 or 4 wide receivers in these leagues.  I can always pick up a serviceable wide receiver off of the waiver wire if injuries happen.  I'm done with Godwin until next year or until some injuries occur this year.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Chris Godwin has the the 7th highest PFF grade for a receiver this season.  He has touchdowns in 3 games.  I am dropping him in 2 leagues.  There are too many mouths to feed in Tampa Bay.  Godwin has only gotten 50% of snaps in each of the last 3 games (for some reason he got 70% of snaps in week 1).  Slot receiver Adam Humphries has been playing more than 70% of snaps.  Tampa has 4 good receivers and 2 good tight ends.  That is about 3 too many mouths.   Godwin needs injuries to Evans and/or Jackson to be a worthwhile fantasy start.

If the leagues I owned Godwin in required 3 receivers in the starting lineup, I would gladly keep him as my 5th receiver.  But I am only required to start 2 receivers in these 2 leagues.  Tier 3 wide receivers have virtually zero value in leagues that require only 2 receivers to be started.  I think it is best to roster only 3 or 4 wide receivers in these leagues.  I can always pick up a serviceable wide receiver off of the waiver wire if injuries happen.  I'm done with Godwin until next year or until some injuries occur this year.

try a trade or package and trade, rather than a drop. Godwin has perceived value for sure.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 2:28 AM, michaelredd9 said:

If DeSean didn't have $7.5 million guaranteed of his $11 million salary, he could have been cut this year.  With the emergence of Godwin, DeSean being traded later this off-season is still within the realm of possibility.  I don't think it would be impossible to find a trading partner willing to spend $11 million on DeSean if that team thinks they are lacking a legitimate deep threat receiver.

Dallas could sure use Jackson now.  He would be WR1 for Dallas.  Maybe...Just Maybe.... they at least look at it before the trade deadline.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XFlash said:

Dallas could sure use Jackson now.  He would be WR1 for Dallas.  Maybe...Just Maybe.... they at least look at it before the trade deadline.

DeSean has been playing great.  He has the highest PFF grade for a wide receiver this year.  It should be easy to trade him if they want.  One obstacle is that GM Jason Licht and HC Turd Cutter are fighting for their jobs.  They aren't likely to want to make a trade for the future.  But with Godwin being a perfect replacement for DeSean, a trade does make a lot of sense.  Maybe ownership will force their hand.