[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Preventing Overcoaching?

Schleprock

For the past 3 weeks, I've been the second highest scorer in our league, only to have been beaten by the highest scorer. I've already clinched a playoff berth, but I'vebeen noticing a bad trend in my coaching decisions.

Two weeks ago, started Lloyd instead of Bennett (difference of 13 points and a win).

Last week started Bennett instead of McCareins (difference of 7 points and a win).

This week started Bennett instead of Smith (difference of 14 pts. and counting, currently trailing by 33 w/ Walker to go Monday night).

In each case, I tried to play a matchup and got burnt. The frustration level is *** near the boiling point. Outside of dumping all the marginal starting players back into the pool (and sticking w/ about 12 men of my 20 man roster), what other suggestions could you offer?

How does everyone cope w/ the failure of the owner to perform as opposed to the failure of your players to perform? I can't take this any more..... :D

Grits,

Take your crap elsewhere. Consider yourself the first, and only, member of MY distinguished ignore list. As a parting shot, I traded both Horn and Smith for Pittman and Faulk respectively. Go take your f'ing high horse somewhere else.......

Grits,

Take your crap elsewhere.  Consider yourself the first, and only, member of MY distinguished ignore list.  As a parting shot, I traded both Horn and Smith for Pittman and Faulk respectively.  Go take your f'ing high horse somewhere else.......

579637[/snapback]

:D

Welcher. Glad I'm not in a league with someone like you with no ethics.

Ya know Grits, you're a f'ing moran. A welcher is a person that doesn't honor a wager. A renegger is a person that goes back on a promise.

Anyhow, you clearly didn't read my post as it stated that BOTH of the mf'ing trades were honored. How's that "welching" as you would put it?

Dumbass......

Ya know Grits, you're a f'ing moran.  A welcher is a person that doesn't honor a wager.  A renegger is a person that goes back on a promise. 

Anyhow, you clearly didn't read my post as it stated that BOTH of the mf'ing trades were honored.  How's that "welching" as you would put it?

Dumbass......

579644[/snapback]

You didn't have to actually welch or renegg ... the fact that you thought it was okay to do so demonstrates your total lack of ethics

With the guys you're talking about, playing match-ups makes sense. You're just not getting real lucky right now. If you were talking about sitting studs in favor of match-ups then it would be a coaching problem.

Relax, if you've already clinched a playoff spot in spite of 2 consecutive losses, you'll be fine.

Hindsight is always 20/20. The first thing you have to do is distinguish between your bad management calls from just bad luck. I don't get down on myself for making a move that passes the logic test, or is based on solid background info/knowledge. If it backfires due to freakish circumstances, that's just the way life is in FF. A perfect example..I played Reggie Wayne this week instead of a RB like Antowain Smith at the flex position. Guy has had 6 TDs in last 9 games, plays for the most prolific pass O against the 22nd ranked pass D, and his QB throws for 6 TDs. Yet he scores 4 pts for me. What can I do? I made the right choice..It just didn't work

However, there's a fine line that demarcates savvy decision-making from over-coaching. Personally for me, I seem to cross that line when I get too involved with a particular team by reading 'inside' articles about it. That makes me overlook some of the deficiencies of the players from that team that are on my roster.

The other thing I do to avoid over-coaching is I take gambles only when the potential upside is substantially higher, and the gamble is needed for me to stay competitive in a given week. For example, playing Brooks over Carr this week might've earned me a few extra points this week due to Atlanta's week pass D, but I know that Brooks has thrown for >2 TDs only twice all season. So the potential upside is limited.

So looking at matchups helps, but try to look at the bigger picture. Focus on what you have to do overall to win any given week. Do this maybe by comparing your lineup with your opponent's position by position. Put rough numbers around what you think each guy will score. Then see where taking a gamble might put you over the top.

Maybe you're doing these things already. In that case, just keep doing them. Hope this helps..

Edited by Glabra

Glabra,

Thanks for trying to put things into perspective. I'm just fuming that seemingly "smart" decisions have cost me, yet people that adjust their lineups (and view the site) only once a week pull off miracles (ie, Rudi going for 200+yds and 2 TD's). I try to think that if my team scores it's average or thereabouts, and the other team does as well, then I should have a good idea of what kinds of decisions to make for my own team (either aggressive or conservative). Looks like the other teams are just hitting it out of the park while I'm whiffing at fastballs down the center of the plate.

Your perspective is very well received.

I try to  think that if my team scores it's average or thereabouts, and the other team does as well, then I should have a good idea of what kinds of decisions to make for my own team (either aggressive or conservative).  Looks like the other teams are just hitting it out of the park while I'm whiffing at fastballs down the center of the plate.

perspective  A WORD TO LIVE BY

579658[/snapback]

The last 2 weeks for you can be summed up in 2 words, FANTASY FOOTBALL.

In my redraft league, after 5 weeks, I was averaging 88pts/game and sitting in 1st in my division at 4-1. I'm still averaging 88pts/game and am 4th overall in pts scored but have had 740pts scored on me in the last 6 games. I lost all six and am now 4-7, barely alive mathematically.

2 words, FANTASY FOOTBALL.

For the past 3 weeks, I've been the second highest scorer in our league, only to have been beaten by the highest scorer.  I've already clinched a playoff berth, but I'vebeen noticing a bad trend in my coaching decisions.

Two weeks ago, started Lloyd instead of Bennett (difference of 13 points and a win).

Last week started Bennett instead of McCareins (difference of 7 points and a win).

This week started Bennett instead of Smith (difference of 14 pts. and counting, currently trailing by 33 w/ Walker to go Monday night).

In each case, I tried to play a matchup and got burnt.  The frustration level is *** near the boiling point.  Outside of dumping all the marginal starting players back into the pool (and sticking w/ about 12 men of my 20 man roster), what other suggestions could you offer?

How does everyone cope w/ the failure of the owner to perform as opposed to the failure of your players to perform?  I can't take this any more..... :D

579627[/snapback]

I did notice a trend in your decisions--they all involved Bennett...that may be the problem---Bennett and the Vikes RB situation is high risk/high reward...you have been given a reality dose of the high risk of the formula...twice you started Bennett and lost 21 points...once you started someone other than Bennett and you lost 13--so playing Bennett every time would have gotten you 1 out 3 wins...not playing Bennett would have got you 2 out of 3 wins....try not playing Bennett unless you are 100% that Smith is out or that Bennett sucked Tice's d!ck...if you have other options at this Flex(it is Flex right?) position, try all else before starting Bennett...JMHO... :D

Make rules for yourself and then stick to them.

Such as avoiding situations like Minny's run game if you have any other options at all.

The chance of one back or the other stealing carries, catches or TD's is too great to risk if you don't have to.

Also, never, ever become close minded on who to play.

It sounds like you might have been holding onto Bennett until he got healthy and that you were just looking for a reason to justify this by playing him. If I'm wrong I apologize. If I'm right consider this point.

And be patient if you have the option.

If you've been sitting on someone, just waiting for them to get healthy or a chance to start, maybe you should wait for for them to get one good game under their belt before you pull the trigger to start them. If you have any other options it might be better to miss a players 1st good game than to plug him into your lineup week after week hoping for his 1st big game. I had Julius Jones and knew he was playing 2 weeks ago. I had been holding him all year and I needed RB help. But I didn't play him against the Ravens. Then, after seeing him play against Baltimore I realized that he would get a ton of carries against the Bears. So by being patient I got 10 points from a different RB the week Jones scored 8 against Baltimore but I found out it would be completely safe to start him the next week against Chicago his game where he scored me 27 points.

I used to miss game after game because I thought I had figured something out only to find out I'm only half as smart as I thought I was. This year I have been much more disciplined in my decision making and I am going to make the playoffs in both of my leagues.

Just food for thought.

I've thought about this a lot, and had a conversation with a league owner.

We have a 1QB;2RB;3WR/TE;1PK;1D lineup.

I am of the opinion that you need to stick with your high draft picks in the early going, even if they are not producing right away. Otherwise, why did you pick them?

This starts to change after the first month and new trends begin to appear. I try to lock in my QB, 1 RB and 2 WRs, who I know are starters regardless of matchups and ONLY fuss with the #2RB and #3WR/TE.

As for D's, my buddy plays the matchups every week, while I prefer to leave a team in and let them ride any hot streak.

2004 example: I took Caroline as the 2nd D overall. Wasted pick. Fortunately I took the Falcons, who started off white hot. I started Car for the frist 5 weeks, hoping they'd get out of their funk. After a zero point week in week 5, I 'benched' them until Atlanta's bye week. It was clear who the hotter team was. Now, after yesterday I think I might go to matchups because Car seems to have it together, and Atlanta hits the road.

Here's a good example of overcoaching: the guy who had R Wayne, played him this week, after benching him last week for his big game. When he told me he'd bench hinm for week 11, because 9+10 were such big games his logic was 'he was due for a low scoring game.' I'd rather keep playing the hot hand UNTIL you see the cool down instead of trying to anticipate it. Maybe it costs you a game, but maybe it doesn't.

'The more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.'

Read it. Learn it. Live it.

Pope's .02.

First, ASYS. This list includes probably 12-16 RB's, 10-12 WR's, and 6-8 QB's.

Then, depending on what's left to make decisions on, look at who the better, more consistent player is, and unless he has an unfavorable matchup, start him as well.

Pretty simple really. Put the best team on the field each week and more times than not you will have started the right players.

Just wanted to add for clarification, that the Bennett I'm referring to is Drew (WR, Titans) not Michael (RB, Min.).

I guess the biggest problem I have is the last minute "tinkering". In an effort to squeeze every last point from my team, I end up micromanaging. You should see the evolution of my golf swing as a frame of reference to my incessant tinkering.

Leading the league in scoring, yet barely scraping together a .500 record is just nuts. I'd feel better off if either the scoring reflected the record, or the record could reflect the scoring.

Thanks for the ideas. Except Grits, of course.