[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lamont Jordan or Steven Jackson...

Baron

Who will score more TDs?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who will score more TDs?

• Steven Jackson
    • Lamont Jordan

I have the chance to get LJ or SJ in my keeper league. We on ly get points for TDs and bonus for the length of TDs. Usually players on high scoring offenses - like the Colts, Rams, Chiefs or the Vikes - produce best numbers in our system. Which player would you take?

I voted for LJ because Steven Jackson will still give away some carries and scores to Faulk, and I think the Raiders offense will be explosive this year especially with the off-season acquisition of Moss.

Almost a jump ball, IMO. Not that Jackson has truly proven himself, but thus far Jordan has looked good mostly in a change of pace RB role & has never been asked to be a starter/carry a rushing game.

Granted, Turner has the rep as a "run first" coach, Martz as a "pass first" coach ... both however, have a history of riding "one RB" during a season when they have had the luxury of having that "one RB" manage to stay healthy ... and even with Martz, that "one RB" (Faulk of course) generally gets nice TD numbers ... looking back, I'd have to say that Turner is more inclined to ride that RB into the ground in a season or two, probably due to the "run first" philosophy.

If you really think that Jordan can stay healthy for the entire year getting 17-20 carries per week, then you might be looking at Stephen Davis 1999 numbers (1405/17) on the high end or more probably Stephen Davis 2000 numbers (1218/11) ... doubt that you see Terry Allen 1996 numbers (1353/21) ... I think there is a fair chance that you get Terry Allen 1997 numbers (724/4) as I'm not convinced that Jordan will hold up to the weekly pounding.

Jackson looks to be a fair bet for Faulk 2001 numbers (1382/12) to me (maybe less yards, similar or better TDs), despite Martz' comments that Marshall will play a "significant" supporting role.

Not sure when you say "keeper league" if you mean "keeper for 1-2 years" or "dynasty as in keep forever". Were the choice mine, I'd probably go with Jackson & hope he's around producing for more than 1-2 years.

Edited by ts

...Not sure when you say "keeper league" if you mean "keeper for 1-2 years" or "dynasty as in keep forever". Were the choice mine, I'd probably go with Jackson & hope he's around producing for more than 1-2 years.

826885[/snapback]

Thanks, ts, we can keep 8 players forever.

I voted for LJ because Steven Jackson will still give away some carries and scores to Faulk, and I think the Raiders offense will be explosive this year especially with the off-season acquisition of Moss.

826585[/snapback]

Yep, probably LJ.

Voted for Jordan. I've heard several "experts" note that Jackson lacks the "drive" necessary to be a pure stud RB in the NFL. Add in the fact that Mad Martz is at the helm - a notorious pass-first coach, and all signs post to Jordan. Jordan's always been a workhorse - prototypical size/speed for a Turner-led offense. The acquisition of Moss will only open things up more for Jordan.

With Faulk getting older I feel like Jackson will get more carries over time! I think once the season starts you will see what I'm talking about! I think this season people will be surprised at his out put this year!

Here's an article that may help you out with your decision.

STL – HC Martz: RB Faulk/RB Jackson Could Split Carries 50-50

Full Article

Clipped from Saint Louis Post-Dispatch Q&A with head coach Mike Martz

by Bill Coats 6/05/05

Q: What convinced you that Steven Jackson was ready in just his second

NFL season to take over for Marshall Faulk as the No. 1 running back?

A: I think it's important for Marshall more than for Steven to have

Steven take over. Marshall's role will be very significant. It's not

limited. It's what he wants it to be. But it's important for Marshall

to get Steven in this role so that he can mentor him and they can kind

of feed off each other.

It allows us to use Marshall maybe even in a different role, too, out

of the backfield. Maybe both of them in the backfield. But the whole

idea here is, as soon as we made that decision, it's not an issue

throughout the offseason for anybody. Marshall suggested this during

the (2004) season as a way of helping Steven, so he's not always

looking over his shoulder and makes one mistake and he's coming out

(of the game), that kind of thing. He's just ready to do it, and

Marshall's ready to have him step into that capacity. And yet, this

could be a 50-50 deal throughout the season.