[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This will go over well.

H8tank

Once Considered Unthinkable, U.S. Sales Tax Gets Fresh Look

Levy Viewed as Way to Reduce Deficits, Fund Health Reform

With budget deficits soaring and President Obama pushing a trillion-dollar-plus expansion of health coverage, some Washington policymakers are taking a fresh look at a money-making idea long considered politically taboo: a national sales tax.

Common around the world, including in Europe, such a tax -- called a value-added tax, or VAT -- has not been seriously considered in the United States. But advocates say few other options can generate the kind of money the nation will need to avert fiscal calamity.

At a White House conference earlier this year on the government's budget problems, a roomful of tax experts pleaded with Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner to consider a VAT. A recent flurry of books and papers on the subject is attracting genuine, if furtive, interest in Congress. And last month, after wrestling with the White House over the massive deficits projected under Obama's policies, the chairman of the Senate Budget Committee declared that a VAT should be part of the debate.

I am so glad we won't have any new taxes on the middle class.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ss=rss_politics

I really don't have a problem with this. At least this way the illegals would be paying for their health care. And a portion of every set of 20" rims sold would also go to health care. Ideally we would get rid of the income tax first.

In theory, I support some form of a consumption tax over an income tax. I realize though that something needs to be done to lessen the regressive nature of such a tax though.

How about replacing SS and Medicare withholdings with a national sales tax?

Yes, all the current taxing programs will be in place, they'll spin all their 'only the rich' crap again, as they add a national sales tax, tax soda, tax snack foods, etc. Tax cars that don't get 38mpg, build more toll roads, when will we hear the campaign for the National Lottery?

In theory, I support some form of a consumption tax over an income tax. I realize though that something needs to be done to lessen the regressive nature of such a tax though.

How about replacing SS and Medicare withholdings with a national sales tax?

So you really think they would ELIMINATE other taxes in favor of a new tax? :wacko: Not happening.

Yes, all the current taxing programs will be in place, they'll spin all their 'only the rich' crap again, as they add a national sales tax, tax soda, tax snack foods, etc. Tax cars that don't get 38mpg, build more toll roads, when will we hear the campaign for the National Lottery?

As Mitt Romney would say, they aren't taxes...they are user fees.

this would be a really bad idea for the left. because if they did it and it worked alright, it would be pretty easy to get to abolishing the income tax whenever republicans get back in power. and the last thing they want is to abolish the income tax, that is where they get to do all of their social engineering.

this would be a really bad idea for the left. because if they did it and it worked alright, it would be pretty easy to get to abolishing the income tax whenever republicans get back in power. and the last thing they want is to abolish the income tax, that is where they get to do all of their social engineering.

:wacko:

News flash: all forms of taxation are a means of social engineering. From the imposition, to the collection, to the spending. Its just a matter of degree, and whether or not you concur with the social engineering agenda that's being advanced. And for at least 9 out of 10 people, that question simply comes down to whether they will pay more or less than they currently do. Everything else is semantics.

Edited by yo mama

News flash: all forms of taxation are a means of social engineering. From the imposition, to the collection, to the spending. Its just a matter of degree, and whether or not you concur with the social engineering agenda that's being advanced. And for at least 9 out of 10 people, that question simply comes down to whether they will pay more or less than they currently do. Everything else is semantics.

if you just take a flat percentage on every sale, you really have very little power as a government to "engineer" anything. in fact, such a system basically neuters you of any power to tinker short of changing the tax system back to something where you CAN tinker. now if they start taxing the sale of "good" things less, and "bad" things more, yeah, I guess a sales tax can be manipulated to political ends just as much as the income tax is. and sure, there are plenty of proposals going around to do just that. but in general, I do think taxing based on the consumption of goods and services is less invasive and open to manipulation than taxing your pay stub.

Only if you define social engineering so broadly as to encompass every act anyone could ever possibly do.

if you just take a flat percentage on every sale, you really have very little power as a government to "engineer" anything. in fact, such a system basically neuters you of any power to tinker short of changing the tax system back to something where you CAN tinker. now if they start taxing the sale of "good" things less, and "bad" things more, yeah, I guess a sales tax can be manipulated to political ends just as much as the income tax is. and sure, there are plenty of proposals going around to do just that. but in general, I do think taxing based on the consumption of goods and services is less invasive and open to manipulation than taxing your pay stub.

Bingo.

And for at least 9 out of 10 people, that question simply comes down to whether they will pay more or less than they currently do. Everything else is semantics.

Exactly why the flat/fair tax fanatics want it - they think they will pay less.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Exactly why the flat/fair tax fanatics want it - they think they will pay less.

You're really to old to bother... but I want the Fair Tax to cover illegals, underground employment, self employed who under report, etc. The Fair Tax taxes all them the same.

Why don't you want it? I assume it's because you are incapable of understanding it, and much prefer the current system of everybody sending their paychecks in and the gov't deciding who gets what.

And for at least 9 out of 10 people, that question simply comes down to whether they will pay more or less than they currently do. Everything else is semantics.

when you're talking about defining good and bad behavior and then incentivizing it, there's a little more to the issue than whether person A ends up paying more or less. it really is fundamentally about the roles of government and individual in the social contract.

Its not that simple. And even if it were, I think you severely underestimate organized government's ability to make "simple" complicated.