[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Leftover Auction Money

RWings

We are an auction league that has a $250 budget. We also did blind bidding for FAs. We have a $25 budget for that.

Currently, once the auction is over any leftover auction money is worthless. I have one owner in my league who has proposed to have any leftover auction money added to your FA budget. I have some concerns with that because I think it overrewards one auction strategy versus another. If you go big and then fill out your roster, you are not going to have money left over. If you go deep, though, you may have money left over depending on the other owners. In fact, this owner blew it last year and $22 left over - hence his rule change proposal.

I don't like the fact that we are rewarding a poorly planned auction, but maybe I'm just not looking at it correctly. He claims it will elevate the overall strategy.

Anybody does this in their auction league or have any positive or negative comments regarding this proposal?

Thanks!

We do not use left over auction money for FA (we also have a FA Budget).

If an owner was able to get his full squad and still have money left over they SHOULD have a weaker team. I find it hard to believe he got a great team spending $22 less than other owners. You could be opening up a can a worms here, as he would then have a distinct advantage in FA picks. The idea of an auction is to give everyone an equal shot at every player. If you implement this rule are you going to have owners who are not competative for the first few weeks but when that STUD RB blows a knee and his back up goes off and this owner has an extra $22 to out bid everyone...but what if no stud does goe down or his back was already owned by an team. Then you have a weak team who is not competative. It is quit the gamble. Of course there is always that undrafted FA that blows up during the season. But do you really want to reward some dufus who has been crap all year and is able to pick up a couple key FA's and ends up winning it all?

How many teams in the league? What is your roster size? These two are the biggest factors to think about as it will tell us how many FA's are going to be out there.

My feeling is that you have $250 to spend in the draft...if you get your team for less great but it shouldn't carry over into FA.

I see the arguments both for and against. And, yes, it does change the strategy of the auction. You want to get a great team, but having some extra money for blind bids would be very nice during the season.

Its a personal preference and doesn't really matter that much IMO. Kinda like choosing if you get 1/25 passing or 1/20.

We do not use left over auction money for FA (we also have a FA Budget).

If an owner was able to get his full squad and still have money left over they SHOULD have a weaker team.  I find it hard to believe he got a great team spending $22 less than other owners.  You could be opening up a can a worms here, as he would then have a distinct advantage in FA picks.  The idea of an auction is to give everyone an equal shot at every player.  If you implement this rule are you going to have owners who are not competative for the first few weeks  but when that STUD RB blows a knee and his back up goes off and this owner has an extra $22 to out bid everyone...but what if no stud does goe down or his back was already owned by an team. Then you have a weak team who is not competative.  It is quit the gamble.  Of course there is always that undrafted FA that blows up during the season.  But do you really want to reward some dufus who has been crap all year and is able to pick up a couple key FA's and ends up winning it all?

How many teams in the league?  What is your roster size?  These two are the biggest factors to think about as it will tell us how many FA's are going to be out there.

My feeling is that you have $250 to spend in the draft...if you get your team for less great but it shouldn't carry over into FA.

911645[/snapback]

Yeah, I share your sentiments. It's a 12 team, 20 player roster league, by the way. I worry about the competitive balance, but I'm considering all the angles here. Thanks for your input.

Just curious as to the reason for the separate money pools.... why not just have a salry cap of 250?

Then, if you want a FA and only have $5 in room but bid $15 on a guy, you have to clear $10 in cap room.

I am assumingfrom what you are saying that you could conceivably spend $250 in the auction and put $25 on a free agent, replacing a player for $1 and end up with a total team salary of $224.

Seems to me it is better to carry the money over int othe free agency pool. It adds MORE strategy to the league as a tea mcan either load up in the initial auction, knowing it will lessen their ability to get prime free agents later in the season vs. accepting not going big in the auction and having better flexibility in going after free agents

Keeping it separate IMO limits the ability of owners to employ different strategies.

IMO it would be a mistake to move unused auction money over to the FA budget, especially since your FA budget is so small ($25).

Use it or lose it is how we run our auction league, and that's the only way to go. Again, JMO. The "different strategy" argument is overrated, and basically you'd be punishing the people who manage their auction caps most skillfully.