[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Duce Staley

Dr. Sacrebleu

Was walking the dog at 6.30 Am and some donkeyes on ESPN radio doing a fantasy show said to stay away from Duce due to his injury, and in fact advocated taking Bettis in front of Duce. now they were very vague, were they talking about last season's injury or a new injury this pre-season? Obviously he is a health risk, and it sounded like they were saying that Duce had undergone an MRI THIS season, though it was negative.

Thanks for your help.

I knwo Duce is not exactly an FF machine, but as I have him in 32 homers, and I'm considering keeping him as my 3rd keeper in a 14 team league, it's kind of important.

thanks

Last solid report i saw had him with swelling in the knee, and they scheduled him for an MRI. Not good for Staley owners. Bettis doesn't want to carry the load again.... he knows he probably can't hold up as a feature back for a whole year. Haynes and or Parker stand to see some time in preseaon for sure, now. Parker is probably the better bet, as Verron Haynes (or is it Hayes?) has been pidgeon holed as a 3rd down back.

Last solid report i saw had him with swelling in the knee, and they scheduled him for an MRI. Not good for Staley owners. Bettis doesn't want to carry the load again.... he knows he probably can't hold up as a feature back for a whole year. Haynes and or Parker stand to see some time in preseaon for sure, now. Parker is probably the better bet, as Verron Haynes (or is it Hayes?) has been pidgeon holed as a 3rd down back.

915118[/snapback]

It'd likely be Verron and Jerome splitting time. Honestly, I don't see there being a RB that gets more than 70% of the carries for the Steelers this year. If so, that could mean two things: (1) The Steelers could be one of the more productive RBBC teams this year (they did have the NFL's most rushing attempts last year with 618; head and shoulders above the 2nd highest team, which was Denver with 534 rushing attempts); or (2) the passing game could see an increase in opportunities, which wouldn't take much given the Steelers had NFL's fewest pass attempts last year at 358.

Edited by yo mama

That's why we pay the money for this site!

Thanks for the info. I got Haynes in the 9th round of 32 homers as a backup to Staley which makes me feel pretty good considering that is something like the 280th pick of the draft. Not encouraging in regards to Duce, but not season ending either. Looking at Hayne's numbers you would think they would give him a shot if Duce and Bettis are not fully healthy

BTW DMD, if you are going to override 'blue' words like jack as$ at least don't 'yukon' the substitute word: It's donkeys, not donkeyes

That's why we pay the money for this site!

Thanks for the info.  I got Haynes in the 9th round of 32 homers as a backup to Staley which makes me feel pretty good considering that is something like the 280th pick of the draft.  Not encouraging in regards to Duce, but not season ending either. Looking at Hayne's numbers you would think they would give him a shot if Duce and Bettis are not fully healthy

BTW DMD, if you are going to override 'blue' words like jack as$ at least don't 'yukon' the substitute word: It's donkeys, not donkeyes

915138[/snapback]

Yeah, Haynes was productive, given his limited opportunities last year. Averaged 4.9 ypc in 55 rushing attempts. Averaged 7.9 yards per reception and scored on two of his 18 receptions last year. So he could turn into a legit red zone pass target.

from PFT -

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

"PARKER ON THE RISE IN PITTSBURGH?

At the same time we're hearing whispers of the organization's growing disenchantment with the inability of tailback Duce Staley to remain healthy, there are indications that the Steelers might eventually give second-year running back Willie Parker a shot at taking over Staley's role by 2006, if not earlier.

Parker, an undrafted free agent signed by the team in 2004, was the fourth leading rusher as a rookie, racking up 186 yards on 32 carries, for a 5.8 average.

The roles of both Parker and fourth-year veteran Verron Haynes likely will increase in 2005 if Staley continues to have nagging injury problems, especially since Jerome Bettis doesn't particularly want to be the primary ball carrier in what could be his final NFL season.

Haynes will be an unrestricted free agent after the season. The team could have Parker carry the load for a couple of year before having to pay him big money. Likewise, they could extend him at a respectable-but-modest rate before he ascends to the starting gig, like they did with Amos Zereoue, who eventually was cut less than a year after opening the 2003 season as the No. 1 tailback."

many steeler fans are high on him simply because he has breakaway speed.. something steeler fans dont see out of their usual rbs. with that speed comes a smaller, burner type back. not a bruiser like the bus and franco harris type. it remains to be seen whether he can last an entire season. this preseason will certainly be very important to him because it could spell out his future.

with that said, i like his chances. haynes doesnt have starter capabilities. hes a good 3rd down back because he can block and is a good draw play back, which the steelers use quite often on 3rd downs from shotgun. a good change of pace would be bettis the bruiser then to parker the burner.

if staley misses time they said the surgery would take 3 weeks which would make him ready by the first game. however with missing all the practice now, i can only imagine him to be rusty and sluggish the first few weeks. also, i dont expect him to play that quickly coming off surgery. he may end up sitting the first few weeks of the season. he was terrific the first half of the year last season. after the injury vs the pats, he never got his bounce back.. although he looked a lot better in the jets game.

Don't think Haynes can't get it done...he isn't fast but he can be a very solid between the tackles runner. If Staley sits, Haynes will get the nod to split with Jerome, IMO. Since Haynes is coming up for a contract year (I see that it was mentioned earlier) he's going to play hard and try to make a name for himself which should translate into a solid season if he can stay healthy. Parker's quick but I'm not too sure he can take the pounding.

Don't think Haynes can't get it done...he isn't fast but he can be a very solid between the tackles runner. If Staley sits, Haynes will get the nod to split with Jerome, IMO. Since Haynes is coming up for a contract year (I see that it was mentioned earlier) he's going to play hard and try to make a name for himself which should translate into a solid season if he can stay healthy. Parker's quick but I'm not too sure he can take the pounding.

915172[/snapback]

Look for Bettis to go for 900 and 8 this year with the rest of the carries platooned. Who was the sexy beast that drafted Bettis in 32h in anticipation of this?

:D