[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bettis on the Ward situation

steeler

http://postgazette.com/pg/05226/553854.stm

Jerome Bettis warned yesterday that every Steelers player is watching the contract holdout by Hines Ward, and that, if the situation is not resolved properly, it would send a sour message to the entire roster.

"It's one of those things that, if there's anybody that this team would want to make sure they find a way to do the right thing, it would be Hines," Bettis said after practice at St. Vincent College. "Because I think the minute you don't, it shows a very, very negative sign to every player on this team -- not most of them, every player. Because if Hines is your marquee guy and you're not even going to consider working through the process, then when it's my turn, cancel Christmas.

"I just think it's not a positive sign for the rest of the players when it comes to contractual issues."

:D

I won't claim to know all the in's and out's of contract situations, but I will say that the Steeler organization is taking a huge PR hit on this one. They are coming off as bigtime cheapskates. Bettis is right - if Ward is getting screwed, just imagine how the average players on the Steelers feels.

There aren't many times when more fans support a player who is holding out than the team.  The support he's garnering says a lot about the public's perception of Hines Ward.

926783[/snapback]

Good point. Ward falls into the same category as Brady and Manning, as far as fan perception. The Steeler's need to pony up.

Bettis is an icon in Pittsburgh, so to hear this coming from him really shows how the situation is escalating.

Art Rooney Jr. brought this mess on by promising Hines would be the #1 priority in the offseason. If he did not say that, this would be just another player holdout, but now the Steelers look terrible because the ownership broke their word. This is a sad situation for a traditionally classy franchise. The pissing contest has to end soon.

I am curious to hear what is said during the broadcast tomorrow night.

Bettis is an icon in Pittsburgh, so to hear this coming from him really shows how the situation is escalating.

Art Rooney Jr. brought this mess on by promising Hines would be the #1 priority in the offseason.  If he did not say that, this would be just another player holdout, but now the Steelers look terrible because the ownership broke their word.  This is a sad situation for a traditionally classy franchise.  The pissing contest has to end soon.

I am curious to hear what is said during the broadcast tomorrow night.

926944[/snapback]

OK--wait a minute. I like Hines Ward as much as any Steeler fan, but let's be fair. He really isn't Marvin Harrison or Torry Holt. The Steelers can't empty the whole piggy bank on one guy, and to their credit, the Steelers franchise has been reasonable without overspending in the majority of their contract negotiaitions (notice I didn't say all, ala Tommy Maddox. But 3 mills is chump change to 21 mills, boys). Don't forget that Rod Woodson (All-NFL 75 year team) ended up elsewhere. So did Franco. Kevin Greene? Gone. Just to name a few. It's still a business at the end of the day, and if they can't afford it, then that's the way the cookie crumbles. I want him in Black and Gold forever, but I don't want to be screwed financially for the next couple of seasons for a guy who isn't a gamebreaker. He's excellent over the middle, a solid route runner, and a ferocious hitter. These are all things Pittsburghers value. But I can't see him being top six WR in a run first offense. Make him a top ten offer (which they did, by the way, and the offer would have made him the highest paid Steeler EVER) and he says no. He wants a three year deal for around 21 mills, I hear. The Steelers went 2 years, 14 mills. If the higher ups come in at 3 years, 18.5 mills, he should come in and that should be that, IMO.

Mistake # 1 by the Steelers was waiting so long to begin negotiations. Now, they find themselves in this awful situation. I disagree with Ruffian. I feel that Hines Ward deserves top 5 money. I really do. As an all-around receiver, he is definitely top 5 in this league. It's not all about receptions and receiving yards. It's about leadership, blocking, and how much he helps his team win. I have always respected the way the Steelers have handled their player's contract situations, is the reason they have been one of the most consistent teams in the NFL, but in this situation, they have to pay Hines Ward what he is worth. This situation truly makes me :D

that's the way the cookie crumbles...

927194[/snapback]

This isn't Nancy Thigpen coming of his best year ever asking for stupid WR money.

This isn't an injured Greg Lloyd being released.

This isn't an overweight L. Kirkland being cut.

This isn't K. Greene, C. Brown, J. Gildon, E. Holmes or C. Emmons who can be replaced from within.

This is Hines Freakin' Ward! The heart and soul of the team.

This isn't Nancy Thigpen coming of his best year ever asking for stupid WR money.

This isn't an injured Greg Lloyd being released.

This isn't an overweight L. Kirkland being cut.

This isn't K. Greene, C. Brown, J. Gildon, E. Holmes or C. Emmons who can be replaced from within.

This is Hines Freakin' Ward!  The heart and soul of the team.

927306[/snapback]

I didn't mention them for that reason. I mentioned Greene, who was the heart of defense, and Woodson, who ranks among the best to ever play. I like Hines Ward a lot, and I want him to stay in Pittsburgh. He's a Steeler through and through. I think that he will be here for a long time. But if the Steelers give him everything he asks, they could put themselves into a tough position financially for the future. They need to get this contract done and soon-- but being offered the contract that he was shown was not an insult--being the highest paid player ever for a club that was 15-1 last year says something about him. Four Pro Bowls are a great accomplishment, but Marvin Harrison caught 16 TDs last season. Hines was # 24 in the league for yardage last season (1006 yards); additionally, he wasn't top 30 in TDs last year in the AFC, let alone the league. He's an emotional leader, a super blocker, selfless and talented teammate. He should be paid very well. But he is not a top five guy in statistics--I still say a top ten contract is fair. If they offer that and he holds out, he's asking for too much IMO.