[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Travis Taylor wins starting job.

Dirk Digler

Former Florida Gator receivers much like former Florida Gator QBs ... much like former Florida Gator coaches are a joke unless they are playing Slippery Rock College.

All skilled players who ever played for Coach Chuck and Duck were removed from my list.

I took him with my second to last pick in one league (17th round) as a 5th WR option. I could easily see him becoming at least a #3 fantasy WR as a starter for the Vikes though...reports are he's looked great in camp and he should get many more passes thrown his way then he ever saw in Baltimore.

What I wonder is if he does becomes a starting WR for Minnesota, is he really much less a fantasy option than Nate Burleson, who everyone seems to love this year? He's a little bigger than Burleson, he's just as fast, and he has decent hands. No doubt he's underachieved, but you can't completely fault him for having played the first 5 years of his career with a team built around it's defense and with a run-first offensive mentality.

Have we ever seen a WR put up impressive numbers for the Ravens? Not really. Qadry Ismail is the only Raven WR in the past 7 years to have a 1,000 yard season, and no Raven WR has EVER had even an 80 catch season. Taylor only played in 10 games last year, yet his 34 catches were 2nd on the Ravens (only 1 behind Kevin Johnson's 35) and his 421 receiving yards and 12.4 average yards per reception were both tops on the team - that speaks volumes about how pathetic their pass offense has been. While not very impressive, Taylor also lead all Ravens' WRs in receptions and receiving yards in both 2002 and 2003.

As for Burleson, in the 5 consecutive games that Randy Moss didn't play or catch a ball last year, Burleson had TDs in 4 of them, but he really only had 1 impressive game during that time. His reception and yardage numbers for that span:

Week 7 (vs TEN) 6 rec. for 53 yards (8.8 YPR avg)

Week 8 (vs NYG) 6 rec. for 43 yards (7.2 YPR avg) w/ 1 TD

Week 9 (@ IND) 1 rec. for 8 yards (8.0 YPR avg) w/ 1 TD

Week 10 (@ GB) 11 rec. for 141 yards (12.8 YPR avg) w/ 1 TD

Week 11 (vs DET) 5 rec. for 52 yards (10.4 YPR avg) w/ 1 TD

His other 3 games with impressive yardage totals (in fact the only other games in which he had more than 71 yards receiving) all came with Randy Moss on the other side of the field drawing double coverage. I wonder why so many are assuming Burleson will now excel consistently as a #1 WR?

Anyway, the situation will be interesting to watch this year, but I think Burleson is definitely being overrated, and Taylor could be quite underrated if he ends up starting opposite Burleson. We'll see.

Edited by Skrappy1

Former Florida Gator receivers much like former Florida Gator QBs ... much like former Florida Gator coaches are a joke unless they are playing Slippery Rock College.

All skilled players who ever played for Coach Chuck and Duck were removed from my list.

942177[/snapback]

Darell Jackson's OK.

:D Good analysis Skrappy! I think it will a wait and see situation. Fantasy wise, with Culpepper throwing to him, Taylor does have a big upside with little risk right now. If he stays in the top 3 on the depth charts all season, I could see him going for 800yds and 7-10 tds.

Taylor.....sucks......

God bless.......not....overpaying for..........Culpepper..........................

942726[/snapback]

I would almost be willing to make a sig bet Taylor finishes with better stats than any WR on the Ravens roster this year. Basically the bet will go as follows. You can use any WR (no TE included) against Travis Taylor. If Taylor finishes with better stats than any of the Baltimore Ravens WR, You get a sigline of my choice for one week. For any WR that finishes with better stats than Taylor, You can chose a sigline for me that I will use for 1 week.

Being that it is all about Fantasy Football, I think the duration would be from week 1 and end on week 13.

Edit: I would want to wait until right before the season starts before I would make this bet.

Edited by Outshined

I think EVERYONE has Burleson way to high on their lists. it would not suprise me at all to see Travis Taylor end up the number 1 WR on that team.I forsee the Viking offense to fold up this season without Moss.I also have Culpepper way down on my lists. Wiggins should get lots short dumps to him though.he should again be a excellent TE .