[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jimmy Smith

giantsfan

Is this a major cause of concern or just a veteran playing in meaningless pre-season games? Is he now a major concern in the regular season?

964970[/snapback]

I'm a Jags homer, and in the Florida Times Union this morning, there was an article in the sports section that specifically addressed the problems that Smith has been having with drops this preseason. Here's what Del Rio had to say:

"You've got to produce.  It really doesn't matter who you are," Del Rio said.  "But it's not an ultimatum of anything like that.  I think we're in the production business.  Playmakers play.  Now that we're stronger at the position, it may be that we'll rotate guys more freely than we might have done in the past.  That's not a bad thing.  When you have depth, that's a good thing."

Everyone has heard about Reggie Williams, Ernest Wilford, and Matt Jones, but there's another rookie WR, Chad Owens, that has looked very good this preseason as well, even when he's played against opponents' first team defenses in 3 WR and 4 WR sets.

So I don't think Del Rio is bluffing. If Smith doesn't get his act together, it will cut into his playing time. However, my gut feeling is that Smith will be fine once the season starts.

The bigger concern is Leftwich. He's a borderline NFL starter in my opinion, and I don't think the team is going to go anywhere while he's under center. He built his rep last year during a four game stretch against three of the worst pass defenses in the NFL (Colts, Chiefs, Chargers, Colts again). Just watch him play and you'll see what I'm talking about. About the only positive thing I can say about him is that he has great arm strength. His accuracy, reads, pocket presence, and mechanics all leave a lot to be desired.

I'm a Jags homer, and in the Florida Times Union this morning, there was an article in the sports section that specifically addressed the problems that Smith has been having with drops this preseason.  Here's what Del Rio had to say:

Everyone has heard about Reggie Williams, Ernest Wilford, and Matt Jones, but there's another rookie WR, Chad Owens, that has looked very good this preseason as well, even when he's played against opponents' first team defenses in 3 WR and 4 WR sets.

So I don't think Del Rio is bluffing.  If Smith doesn't get his act together, it will cut into his playing time.  However, my gut feeling is that Smith will be fine once the season starts.

The bigger concern is Leftwich.  He's a borderline NFL starter in my opinion, and I don't think the team is going to go anywhere while he's under center.  He built his rep last year during a four game stretch against three of the worst pass defenses in the NFL (Colts, Chiefs, Chargers, Colts again).  Just watch him play and you'll see what I'm talking about.  About the only positive thing I can say about him is that he has great arm strength.  His accuracy, reads, pocket presence, and mechanics all leave a lot to be desired.

965548[/snapback]

Good Info as always Tom. I have wondered about Lefty also. Like will he ever take that "next step" and go from a nice QB to one who can be a big winner for you. I think the jury is still out and we will have a clearer picture after this year.

As for Jimmy I agree with everything you said. Personally I think all this talk is to motivate him. Not that Del Rio wouldn't cut his playing time, but it should serve as a wakeup call. Until I see him go out there in a game that matters and drop passes and look bad I'm just not going to worry over this. He is a 36 year old vet who I'm pretty sure doesn't get that motivated for meaningless pre-season games. With that said it does surprise me have much flack the guy is taking considering it is pre-season and he is such a vet. Last year he had 74 catches, 1174 yards, and 6 TD's and I don't see him doing much different than that as of now. I'd say 1050-1150 in yards, 70-80 catches, and 5-7 TD's. Until I see it in a regular game I am not going to worry that he has lost it all of the sudden. It's pre-season for a 36 year old vet.

He is a 36 year old vet who I'm pretty sure doesn't get that motivated for meaningless pre-season games. With that said it does surprise me have much flack the guy is taking considering it is pre-season and he is such a vet.

I think part of the reason that Smith and Taylor take so much flack is that they're the only Jaguars left that anyone really cares about.

I've read a lot of posts here from people outside the Jacksonville area that claim the poor attendance at games is due to the size of the market. That's not true. Our market had no problem supporting the Jaguars in the past, and it's a market that's growing rapidly in terms of population, not shrinking.

The problem, at least in my opinion, is that this team has NO PERSONALITY. Outside of the standard sports coverage, the players are invisible in the local media. I'm sure they do their far share for the community, but not on the scale that Mark Brunell did when he was here. This town LOVED Brunell, and when Leftwich was selected in the first round of the 2002 draft, it did NOT go over well with the fans. Obviously, Brunell is in the twilight of his career, but he was this town's first professional sports hero, and loyalties die hard.

So that's probably why Smith has gotten so much negative publicity. We expect to hear that the rest of the offense sucks, and we expect to hear that Taylor is going to miss playing time due to injuries, but we don't expect to hear that Jimmy Smith is dropping passes, so it's about the only thing that actually gets our attention these days.

Give Jimmy a little sniff in pregame and he'll catch stuff that Byron didn't even throw.

He's ancient, he's had health problems, injuries and a drug situation. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'd say he's toast.