[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The "Too Good to be True" Rule

Roo

I noticed it was mentioned in today's Commentary From the Edge regarding the Bengals game, but it also became widely apparent with Steve Smith's 2 catch game last night. Also rang true with Caddy this week. Things were looking TOO good.

Whether it's games or players, there seems to be a factor that often "flips" the most obvious "good call" in to a dud. I'd say it hits about 25-35% of the time.

Megastud going up against a really soft defense? Be careful. Undefeated team playing San Fran? Think twice. (well maybe not SF) :D

Anyhow, I can think of numerous times this has happened to me in FF. It would, however, take some serious nads to say, NOT start Alexander against St. Louis. Common sense says he's going to go buckwild.

Something to think about....

Two years ago Hasselbeck was going against Baltimore on the road (this is when Hass had his best year and was actually a borderline 'stud'). Of course, everyone benched him for obvious reasons, myself included. All experts agreed he wasn't good on the road and its Baltimore.....bench him. He had a career day --- 23/41, 333 yards, 5 TD, 0 INT. Oh, yeah....26 rushing yards too.

Two years ago Hasselbeck was going against Baltimore on the road (this is when Hass had his best year and was actually a borderline 'stud').  Of course, everyone benched him for obvious reasons, myself included.  All experts agreed he wasn't good on the road and its Baltimore.....bench him.  He had a career day --- 23/41, 333 yards, 5 TD, 0 INT.  Oh, yeah....26 rushing yards too.

1042239[/snapback]

The refs so screwed Seattle in that game.

Megastud going up against a really soft defense?  Be careful.  Undefeated team playing San Fran?  Think twice.  (well maybe not SF)  :D
Look, if Arizona's D can shutout SF and score several TD against SF D, I don't think too many owners are going to be benching Colts players this week. Then again, I probably would have said the same thing about a certain NE/Miami game late last year.

Look, if Arizona's D can shutout SF and score several TD against SF D, I don't think too many owners are going to be benching Colts players this week.  Then again, I probably would have said the same thing about a certain NE/Miami game late last year.

1042251[/snapback]

Most times when studs do not produce against very weak defenses it is because they are pulled early during a blowout.