[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I know I am a homer but that call is BS.

Skippy

I wonder how the rule actually reads... because Sproles wasn't going to catch that ball as he was falling back and the ball was going away from him.

1059029[/snapback]

Link to rule.

The two relevant parts:

2. No opponent may interfere with the fair catcher, the ball, or his path to the ball.

4. If ball hits ground or is touched by member of kicking team in flight, fair catch signal is off and all rules for a kicked ball apply.

Since the rule doesn't specify when the returner's opportunity to catch the ball ends, I think they blew the call.... Sprowles wasn't going to catch that thing... therefore I think his opportunity was over and therefore not interfered with.

Again though... so much time left, the outcome of the game won't be affected by the missed call.

Edited by steeler

Since the rule doesn't specify when the returner's opportunity to catch the ball ends, I think they blew the call.... Sprowles wasn't going to catch that thing.

Again though... so much time left, the outcome of the game won't be affected by the missed call.

1059073[/snapback]

You want to rethink that?

Since the rule doesn't specify when the returner's opportunity to catch the ball ends, I think they blew the call.... Sprowles wasn't going to catch that thing... therefore I think his opportunity was over and therefore not interfered with.

1059073[/snapback]

I understand what you are saying in that there is still a lot of time left, and the Steelers can't blame that one play if they lose, BUT, that one play could have put the Steelers up by more early and changed the entire complexion of the game. What is annoying to me, is that these are two good teams, playing a good game, and the officials have become way too involved and too much of a factor in this one.

The only point I'm making is that there is way too much time left in the game to blame that terrible call for the outcome (if the Steelers lose).

Way too many plays left in the game... the Steelers just need to make more than SD between now and the end of the game.

Steelers are up 21 - 16 as I type this.

The only point I'm making is that there is way too much time left in the game to blame that terrible call for the outcome (if the Steelers lose). 

Way too many plays left in the game... the Steelers just need to make more than SD between now and the end of the game.

Steelers are up 21 - 16 as I type this.

1059106[/snapback]

Agree 100%

That rule has been around a long time. Usually a muffed ball hits the ground right away, but it's one of those rules that is actually there for good reasons. How often does a returner catch a punt cleanly? A lot of the time the ball bounces around in his hands before he gets full possession. I don't think that asking the refs to judge whether or not a muffed fair catch is catchable after the ball make initial contact with the return man. Isn't there also a rule that says the returner gets 5 yards of free space when after signalling for a fair catch? Rarely enforced, but I believe that rule is still in the books. I can understand why a homer wouldn't like that call, but the return man has to be given a chance to make the catch, unimpeded. Maybe Sploes could have dove for it on the way down...... but I would not want to see refs make that a judgement call.

:D  It must be really good !!!

1059121[/snapback]

:D C'mon Rovers, get them old bones moving :D

That rule has been around a long time. Usually a muffed ball hits the ground right away, but it's one of those rules that is actually there for good reasons. How often does a returner catch a punt cleanly? A lot of the time the ball bounces around in his hands before he gets full possession. I don't think that asking the refs to judge whether or not a muffed fair catch is catchable after the ball make initial contact with the return man. Isn't there also a rule that says the returner gets 5 yards of free space when after signalling for a fair catch? Rarely enforced, but I believe that rule is still in the books. I can understand why a homer wouldn't like that call, but the return man has to be given a chance to make the catch, unimpeded. Maybe Sploes could have dove for it on the way down...... but I would not want to see refs make that a judgement call.

1059124[/snapback]

They have Internet Cafe's in nursing homes now ???

Hey, Men-U-do, maybe if the Jets and Steelers end up with sub .500 records we should cancel that sig line bet? Oh, and I had to do a beer return in mid-post, seems it seems to be of some interest..... not that there is anything wrong with that....

Hey, Men-U-do, maybe if the Jets and Steelers end up with sub .500 records we should cancel that sig line bet? Oh, and I had to do a beer return in mid-post, seems it seems to be of some interest..... not that there is anything wrong with that....

1059136[/snapback]

I'm not real concerned with the Steelers finishing less than .500, but I do understand your wanting to remove yourself from that foolish bet. :D

...Isn't there also a rule that says the returner gets 5 yards of free space when after signalling for a fair catch? ...

1059124[/snapback]

No. There is no "5 yard" rule.

The rule is simply that a player cannot "interfere with a fair catcher, or his path to the ball"

Fair Catch Rule

Leaves alot of discretion to the referee as to what is "interfering" and what is not. But no 5 yard rule.