[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Houston @ Chicago

whitem0nkey

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things that have to be mentioned about last night's game.

1) Lane hit a double, not a homer. It's interesting that for all the "breaks" the Sox have had, none of the calls directly resulted in a run scored. This was a missed call that put a run on the board, but it didn't matter. The Sox overcame and won. Angels fans should take a lesson from that one. Oh yeah, and Dye was hit on that pitch in the 5th.

2) After the homer/double, the Astros sent 47 batters to the plate and got 1 hit. Awesome.

Sure....the 9 walks were "awesome".

Needless to say, the Astros did get some breaks last night...with the runner getting hit by Uribe's throw in the rundown, and Ausmus' heads up play on Pod's sacrifice attempt (could have been called foul just as easily if the ump chose to do so).

But the biggest break came on the game tying double, and that went the Sox way. If that ball cruises into the corner and doesn't hit the wall that's jutting out, more than one run scores on that play and the game wouldn't have been tied.

Two things that have to be mentioned about last night's game.

1) Lane hit a double, not a homer.  It's interesting that for all the "breaks" the Sox have had, none of the calls directly resulted in a run scored.  This was a missed call that put a run on the board

1098337[/snapback]

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. And if it cost the Sox a win, I'd put the blame on Garland for letting Lane hit the ball that freaking far. On the other hand, the "phantom strike three" call on A.J. and the foul ball off of Dye's bat merely put runners on first (and, IIRC, there were two outs in both situations).

Is it just me, or does Fox really seem to be pushing for instant replay? I've never seen a network try to hard to create controversey on close calls. Given that instant replay would mean more commercial breaks and more advertising revenue, they at least have a motive.

Wow, I'm shocked that Oswalt got tagged so hard in the 5th. The Astros got lucky on A.J.'s shot, as that would've been a homer in just about any other ballpark. Garland was all over the place early on, but eventually settled down. El Duque continues to amaze me... I've never seen a pitcher get out of jams like that before. I was also happy to see Bobby pitch two strong innings. He definitely needed a confidence-booster after Sunday. The 'Stros pen pitched about as well as could be expected. Their hitters also did a great job of situational hitting (especially with two outs) early on.

Wow... we're one game away! I can't believe it. :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

whats up with the whole bee thing?

1098414[/snapback]

The killer "B's": Bagwell, Biggio, Berkman... and I guess Burke too now.

Did you guys see Steve Perry in the stands wearing a Sox hat? What a cool good-luck charm.

"Dooon't stop.... belieeevin'!" :D

Dusty Baker's being a crybaby now. Gee, what a shocker... :D

Cubs' manager Dusty Baker isn't showing much hometown-love and that's got White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen upset.

Before the postseason began, Baker was asked by ESPN The Magazine who he would be rooting for in the playoffs.

"I got no one to root for," Baker said. "I sure as heck ain't rooting for the White Sox or Cardinals. But maybe Atlanta since they've won all those divisions but only one championship. The Angels just won it against me, so forget them. Anyway, fishing season starts in November. That's my time."

Guillen, who usually heaps praise on crosstown peer, was perplexed by the comments.

"Dusty, I don't like what he said," Guillen told the Chicago Sun-Times. "I thought we were friends."

"That's OK, we'll see [which team] owns the town now," Guillen told the paper.

:D

pretty sad of dusty. pretty sad of burk too saying garner lost the game for the strohs by leaving oswalt in. props to swerski for calling that right earlier in the thread saying we had to get to oswalt and get his pitch count up early. just curious, did anyone else see biggio after he struck out in the 13th. he appeared to be crying to me, or about too. i put it in this post last night but nobody else said anything. was i imagining it??? it was late and i had a buzz on but i'm pretty sure of what i saw. anyone??

I didn't hear that about Burke.  Does anyone have a link?

1099600[/snapback]

no link. i heard the quote on rome is burning. it was a pretty long tirade i guess with lots of slams. pretty negative stuff for a player to say imo.

on a separate note, i thought oswalt hit crede on purpose in the fifth. he started the inning with the solo pop and i think it was payback time. the announcers dismissed this fact saying he wouldn't want to put another runner on.....but i don't think so. jmo.

no link.  i heard the quote on rome is burning.  it was a pretty long tirade i guess with lots of slams.  pretty negative stuff for a player to say imo.

1099680[/snapback]

Interesting, given that he's been on the team for a whole year and a half.

on a separate note, i thought oswalt hit crede on purpose in the fifth.  he started the inning with the solo pop and i think it was payback time.  the announcers dismissed this fact saying he wouldn't want to put another runner on.....but i don't think so.  jmo.

Not sure I agree with that because, in addition to the players already on base, the score was still close and the 'Stros HAD to win that game. But who knows. I thought that Crede and Everett over-reacted to it, but that's JMO.

What became painfully obvious to me last night is that Phil Garner hasn't mellowed one bit from his days in Milwaukee and Detroit.

like the announcers said, they didn't think oswalt did it on purpose. i've just seen that happen sooooo many times where the guy goes yard and the next time up hes plunked. only he and the catcher know. anyway, garner has quite the temperment to him. i can't say i blame him. one timely hit in that game and we were toast.

like the announcers said, they didn't think oswalt did it on purpose.  i've just seen that happen sooooo many times where the guy goes yard and the next time up hes plunked.  only he and the catcher know.  anyway, garner has quite the temperment to him.  i can't say i blame him.  one timely hit in that game and we were toast.

1099727[/snapback]

There were runners on 1st and 2nd and Oswalt already had him down 0-2 in the count. I really have to disagree with you. Had he hit him on the first pitch or if it was 3-0, I would definitely agree.

How was that being a crybaby?  He has to root for the WhiteSox because he's in Chicago?

1099860[/snapback]

Given that Guillen always speaks highly of him, Dusty didn't have to go out and tell the world that, "I sure as heck ain't rooting for the White Sox..." It was classless and, unfortunately, typical Dusty.

Given that Guillen always speaks highly of him, Dusty didn't have to go out and tell the world that, "I sure as heck ain't rooting for the White Sox..."  It was classless and, unfortunately, typical Dusty.

1101024[/snapback]

I would think there are a lot of Cubs fans that "sure as heck ain't rooting for the White Sox".

Again, refreshing honesty. He didn't say that he wanted the Sox' bus to crash and go up in flames, he said he wasn't rooting for them. How does that make him a crybaby?

No need to talk about the cubs today is the sox’s day. I remember going to the home/season opener, and the sox won 1-0 like the last game yesterday. We totally changed our team from a home run or nothing to a team that can manufacture runs. I remember before the all-star game voting like crazy for Scott P. online. To the emergence of bobby janks. I can go on on on…….what an awesome year.

Lets go for 2 in a row Sox!

I would think there are a lot of Cubs fans that "sure as heck ain't rooting for the White Sox". 

Again, refreshing honesty.  He didn't say that he wanted the Sox' bus to crash and go up in flames, he said he wasn't rooting for them.  How does that make him a crybaby?

1101132[/snapback]

Saying that you "sure has heck ain't rooting" for somebody is the equivalent of hoping that they lose. It's classic sour grapes. And I'm not sure if it has to do with the Cubs/Sox rivalry or the fact that Dusty is an overrated joke of a manager who hasn't won jack.

Which is why he said he was rooting for the Astros.

Oh wait, he didn't say that. He said he had no one to root for. The Sox should be celebrating, not worried about the Cubs or their manager. It's like the inferiority complex doesn't go away, even with the title. Reminding me a lot of Boston fans after last year... still seemed like they were more concerned with the Yankees, and their reactions than worrying about their own.

Edited by LegFuJohnson