[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ethical Dilemma

recruiterman

Throw the game or not?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Throw the game or not?

• Throw the game?
    • Don't throw the game?

Throwing a game, no matter the reasoning, is unethical and plain stupid.  It's clowns like you, that have to even ASK, that ruin this hobby.  Get a grip.

1202205[/snapback]

I disagree! If you are costing someone a playoff spot by giving your opponent an easy win, then its wrong. But if his opponent is already in the playoffs (or already elimintated from playoff contention, there is nothing wrong with it.

Do you think that real NFL teams never "take it easy" in games, to get the first round matchup they want, if they can control it. THey would never admit it, but this type of thing happens in real football too...

I know you probably disagree with everything I said, but before you start typing your reply, ask yourself this - Is he costing anyone in the league anything by doing this (again, assuming his opponent is already in the playoffs or is eliminated from playoff contention)? If he is not costing anyone else anything, then what is the problem?

That all said, Darin, you are setting yourself up with some BAD karma by losing intentionally just to play a team you think is weak!

There are no additional playoff implications. The team I am playing has been eliminated.

It breaks down as follows.

North DIV

10-3 MY Team/most points tie breaker

10-3 Team/WC1

9-4 Team/WC2 and hotter than hell

South DIV

8-5 DIV Winner

I am currently tied at 10-3 in my division, but have a commanding point lead which is the first tiebreaker...making me the division winner if I finish in a tie at 11-3. Division winners are seeded 1 and 2, followed by the WC's. If I lose the last game, and the other 10-3 wins, then I play the tanking South Div winner.

I've been playing since 1992 and have never seen this in any league.

So, other thoughts?

That all said, Darin, you are setting yourself up with some BAD karma by losing intentionally just to play a team you think is weak!

1202245[/snapback]

I totally agree with this. FF is the land of unintended consequences. You would feel like a real jerk if you pulled this off and ended up losing to the team you chose to play.

Technically speaking, I don't think it's terribly unethical. Unlike real football, you're note coaching professionals to pull punches, you're merely going to field a lesser team. However, as I said earlier, this may result in consequences you hadn't anticipated. In addition to the fact that you're first round may turn out differently, you may lose the respect of other owners which could have consequences in the future. I like to build up as much capital as I can with my co-owners so that when I really need to fight for something, they pay attention.

I guess if I were you, I would play the final game normally and let the chips fall. But I wouldn't consider it a transgression if you chose not to.

Edited by tev

There are no additional playoff implications.  The team I am playing has been eliminated.

It breaks down as follows.

North DIV

10-3 MY Team/most points tie breaker

10-3 Team/WC1

9-4  Team/WC2 and hotter than hell

South DIV

8-5 DIV Winner

I am currently tied at 10-3 in my division, but have a commanding point lead which is the first tiebreaker...making me the division winner if I finish in a tie at 11-3.  Division winners are seeded 1 and 2, followed by the WC's.  If I lose the last game, and the other 10-3 wins, then I play the tanking South Div winner.

I've been playing since 1992 and have never seen this in any league.

So, other thoughts?

1202986[/snapback]

And what happens if you lose and the other team loses? Field the best team you can and let things happpen as they will. Knowing FF any team can beat another any time. You never know who is gooing to stud out and who is not (i.e. SEA defense and Chambers last week) Those 2 alone helped 2 teams in my league with 5 wins between them jump up and cost one player a playoff spot because he thought he had it wrapped up.

You just never know. I am of the thought that you play your best lineup every week. Wasn't Herm Ewards that said "You Play to Win the Game."...I agree.

Thank you all for your input. Great comments, and the poll was very close. Right down the middle, basically.

My initial reaction to this situation was to play it strong. My rationale is that I would indeed (as TEV suggested) feel like an ass if I pulled off the setup, only to lose anyway, which isn't likely, but certainly possible.

I just have this sinking feeling that the Gods of FF would be really pissed, extolling wrath down upon me.

Play it strong it is.