[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can you hear me now?

Guest Cherni

Guest Cherni

NEW YORK -- Atlanta Falcons coach Jim Mora has been fined $25,000 by the NFL for using a cell phone on the sidelines during the team's overtime loss to Tampa Bay on Dec. 24.

Mora was fined under a rule adopted last March prohibiting the use of cell phones or any other form of communications by coaches or players on the field -- other than the regular phones used by teams to communicate between the sideline and press box.

That was a recommendation of the league's competition committee, the co-chairman of which is Rich McKay, Atlanta's general manager.

Two years ago, New Orleans' Joe Horn was fined $30,000 for using a cell phone after scoring a touchdown. The NFL said the fine against Mora had nothing to do with the rule under which Horn was fined.

Mora used the phone late in overtime of the game in an attempt to determine how a tie might affect his team's playoff chances.

After it happened, Horn said he believed Mora should be fined, just as he was.

"I want $30,000," said Horn. "I'm not trying to player-hate coach Mora, but it shouldn't be a double-standard league. A player gets fined, then a coach should get fined under any circumstances.

"Cell phones are prohibited in the NFL. So I think coach Mora should be fined $30,000 like I was."

:D

NEW YORK -- Atlanta Falcons coach Jim Mora has been fined $25,000 by the NFL for using a cell phone on the sidelines during the team's overtime loss to Tampa Bay on Dec. 24.

Mora was fined under a rule adopted last March prohibiting the use of cell phones or any other form of communications by coaches or players on the field -- other than the regular phones used by teams to communicate between the sideline and press box.

That was a recommendation of the league's competition committee, the co-chairman of which is Rich McKay, Atlanta's general manager.

Two years ago, New Orleans' Joe Horn was fined $30,000 for using a cell phone after scoring a touchdown. The NFL said the fine against Mora had nothing to do with the rule under which Horn was fined.

Mora used the phone late in overtime of the game in an attempt to determine how a tie might affect his team's playoff chances.

"I want $30,000," said Horn. "I'm not trying to player-hate coach Mora, but it shouldn't be a double-standard league. A player gets fined, then a coach should get fined under any circumstances.

"Cell phones are prohibited in the NFL. So I think coach Mora should be fined $30,000 like I was."

1249826[/snapback]

I like Joe Horn, but come on man. Using a cell phone in a lame-asz TD celebration that holds up the game is one thing. Using a cell phone on the sidelines by a coach trying to verify some tiebreaker nuances is completely different.

Joe, shut up.

Guest Cherni

I agree, I also think it's rather childish and petty to be crying over $5K (as a long time professional athlete). Suck it up and do your job.

I agree, I also think it's rather childish and petty to be crying over $5K (as a long time professional athlete). Suck it up and do your job.

1249900[/snapback]

Uhhhh, Horn said that last week, before the league even decided to fine Mora.

I like Joe Horn, but come on man.  Using a cell phone in a lame-asz TD celebration that holds up the game is one thing.  Using a cell phone on the sidelines by a coach trying to verify some tiebreaker nuances is completely different.

Joe, shut up.

1249870[/snapback]

Darin,

I almost always agree with you, but while Joe Horn's use of the phone was lame and a showboat attempt to draw attention, the move in question was by a coach breaking a specific rule of the game...I think based on that and the fact that Horn's comments were made before the fine was announced...I think he has a pretty good point.

Hardrocker

1249826[/snapback]

Darin,

I almost always agree with you, but while Joe Horn's use of the phone was lame and a showboat attempt to draw attention, the move in question was by a coach breaking a specific rule of the game...I think based on that and the fact that Horn's comments were made before the fine was announced...I think he has a pretty good point.

Hardrocker

1250068[/snapback]

So after Mora's actions but before the fine, alright. That's fine then. Horn had a reason to call for the fine to come down. I don't see what the story is, then. Mora got fined. End of story.

No

Fun

League

1250112[/snapback]

The league has a duty to the game and to the need to keep games at a reasonable length. Silly egomaniacs doing their ::D end zone "celebrations" are just fools and deserve to be fined.

Why did all the real greats (Payton, Sanders, Smith, Rice, etc) just toss the ball to the ref and trot off when they'd done their job? Why do the current imposters see fit to spend part of their week dreaming up stupid little cameos? :D

Guest Cherni
Uhhhh, Horn said that last week, before the league even decided to fine Mora.

1250034[/snapback]

Oh ok, the article wasn't specific about when the quote was from. My bad.

Guest Cherni
Doesn't he mean "playa" hate?

1250334[/snapback]

1. playahata

(n) - One who offers truthful constructive criticism that is in opposition to popular opinion or the status quo.I'm proud to be a playahata, somebody needs to say it the way it is.

2. playahata

a noun, meaning one who is so tied up in the game that he has come to needlessly hate on the playa

otherwise known as a sucka , busta , or a wankstathat ni$%a say i got no skillz? that ni@#$a is just playahatin on my shucks!

Edited by Cherni