[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pittsburgh at Indianapolis

Menudo

Here it is, the game I was hoping the Steelers would get to. I think someone said that the Colts opened as 9.5 point favorites, which sounds about right to me. The Colts whipped up on the Steelers pretty good in their first meeting, and I think the Steelers would have to play close to perfect to defeat the Colts.

There are some things that I like from a Steelers perspective:

1. They played them earlier this year in Indy. I'm glad they had that game on

their schedule, as they have first-hand experience to learn from.

2. The Colts have not played meaningful football for quite sometime.

3. There was a time in the 1st half of their 1st meeting that the Steelers defense

had Manning a bit confused. Hopefully they can figure out what they were

doing to cause that, and try to re-create the confusion.

4. The 1st game wasn't quite as lopsided as it might seem. It was 10-7 until

late in the 1st half and 13-7 at halftime. Cowher tried an onside kick, which

the Colts recovered and they dominated from there forward. Point is, I felt

the Steelers played very poorly, and still were in the game through the

1st half.

5. Peyton Manning and the Colts still have a monkey on their back due to past

playoff collapses. The Steelers do as well, but, Peyton Manning is the best

player in the game, and the pressure is on.

6. All of the pressure is on the Colts. If the Colts win this one, so what, they

were supposed to. If the Steelers win, as someone else put it, the monkey

on Peyton and the Colts back becomes a gorilla. A win would give the

Steelers a ton of confidence heading into the Championship game.

7. When the Steelers play their game, they can keep the game within reach

against anyone. Their game meaning, ball-control, solid running game,

and solid defense.

8. The Chargers might have provided a bit of a blueprint in their win over the

Colts a few weeks ago.

These are things I don't like from the Steeler's perspective:

1. The Steelers secondary is young. I think they are continually improving,

but, they are no match for the Colts wide receivers.

2. The Colts are well-rested due to their time off. I know that I also put this

as a positive, but I am simply seeing it from both angles.

3. The Colts out-physicalled the Steelers last game, so they will not be

the least bit intimidated by the Steelers style.

4. The Colts offense cannot be stopped, and they are the kind of team that

can push the Steelers out of their comfort zone, forcing them to pass a lot,

which is not the way the Steelers want to play.

5. The Colts have the added motivation of the personal situation with Coach

Dungy. I know a big playoff game is motivation enough, but, this might

even add a bit to it.

6. The Colts are a better overall team than the Steelers.

7. The Colts are playing at home in a dome, and the Steelers struggled with

the crowd noise last time.

In the end, my heart wants me to say that the Steelers will win this game, but my head says otherwise. Don't get me wrong, I'm not counting the Steelers out by any means. They can win this game. Unfortunately, I still believe this is the Colts year.

Colts 34

Steelers 31

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I predict a 34 - 7 rout by the Steelers after Von Olhaufen rolls up Peytons leg early in the first.

1255888[/snapback]

Kimo is an evil player, and has shown that he will do whatever is necessary to take a QB out of a game.

Wow Menudo, that's a lot of points for 2 pretty good defenses.

Up until the Chargers game, I didn't think anyone could beat the Colts at home. Now, with the right game plan, we all know it can be done. I think the Steelers have an excellent chance to win this game if Cowher puts together the perfect game plan. On paper, it's all Colts, but I think Pittsburgh has a shot if they make no mistakes and blitz the sh*t out of Manning. They need to find themselves a Shawne Merriman for that game.

Colts              34

Steelers          31

1255879[/snapback]

I can see why you'd want to cover your ass by predicting a Steelers loss. Now you can go back and pull up this thread and say "see...I never thought the Stillers were going to win..." Good strategy.

:D

I can see why you'd want to cover your ass by predicting a Steelers loss.  Now you can go back and pull up this thread and say "see...I never thought the Stillers were going to win..."  Good strategy. 

:D

1255894[/snapback]

Thank you.

Thank you.

1255895[/snapback]

You're welcome.

I think I may actually root for Pittsburgh this weekend. But I'm not sure yet. I don't like either team.

I either want Denver and Pittsburgh or New England and Indy. As much as I hate the Patriots, a New England - Indy AFC Championship would probably have the most drama to it, with Peyton having had his ass handed to him so many times by the Pats. Plus, there's always the outside chance that the RCA Dome could collapse during the game and crush both teams - all except Tedy Bruschi, of course.

Plus, there's always the outside chance that the RCA Dome could collapse during the game and crush both teams - all except Tedy Bruschi, of course.

1255912[/snapback]

You just refuse to give him credit don''t you?

Everyone knows that Bruschi would see that the dome is falling in and he would rush to the middle of the field and hold it up until everyone was safely gone.

Sheeesh! So obvious. :D

If the Steelers blitz Manning all day, they will be in for a long, long game.

Dont be fooled by the Colt's last three games. They will beat the Steelers...and that's not easy for me to say as I remember the day the Mayflower vans moved the Colts out of my home town...

It'll be much closer this time. The Steelers will be more successful on the ground and Cowher will elect not to try stupid trick plays this time. Ben is further removed from injury, so he will play much better. On the other side of that coin, the Colts are very well-rested and will be riding the emotional energy from the death of Dungy's son. After watching their defense (which consisted of many second-stringers) stuff Arizona at the goal line in Week 17, there's no doubt in my mind that the defense will rise to the challenge again.

After watching the Colts offense torch respectable Broncos defenses in consecutive years at home in the playoffs, it's become obvious to me that they're just a different team there. With a stronger defense this season and all of the conditions in their favor (indoors, turf, crowd noise), I don't see them losing another game there this year.

Colts 27, Steelers 23

Hook, any word yet on whether or not Diem will be playing?

If Palmer stays in yesterday's game - no way Pittsburg wins. 

1255918[/snapback]

:D I love these comments. Oh, seer of seers, please continue to tell me what would have happened.

I understand saying that you think that the Bengals could have won with Carson in there, but to say there is no way that Pittsburgh wins is silly.

...(The Colts)  will be riding the emotional energy from the death of Dungy's son. 

1255927[/snapback]

I'm actually thinking this might work the other way. It's such a downer, especially with more details leaking out now. I think the players will have a "win one for the Gipper" attitude consciously. But subconciously, they may may be thinking that Dungy doesn't need three additional weeks of football - not to mention the ridiculous Superbowl hype - at this point in his life. He needs to be home with his family and mourn the loss of his son. And, subconsciously, they may make a mistake or two so that Tony can go do what he needs to do.

Jeez - I'm an overanalytical SOB, huh. :D

Hook, any word yet on whether or not Diem will be playing?

1255927[/snapback]

Early last week Dungy was quoted as saying it was "gonna be close" on whether or not he's recovered for the game. Late last week though, there was a report that he was back doing some passing drills. I'm sure we'll hear more this week. Dungy expected everyone else to be rested and ready.

And I'd like to add, if Cowher and Roethlisberger thought it was loud last time, just wait. The Blue Crew is tying to figure out ways to sneak cymbals into the game on Sunday. It's going to be SO LOUD that Roethlisberger might break down into tears during the game instead of after like last time.

I'm actually thinking this might work the other way.  It's such a downer, especially with more details leaking out now.  I think the players will have a "win one for the Gipper" attitude consciously.  But subconciously, they may may be thinking that Dungy doesn't need three additional weeks of football - not to mention the ridiculous Superbowl hype - at this point in his life.  He needs to be home with his family and mourn the loss of his son.  And, subconsciously, they may make a mistake or two so that Tony can go do what he needs to do.

Jeez - I'm an overanalytical SOB, huh.  :D

1255947[/snapback]

I could see it working that way. Then again, I look at what happened to Carolina with Sam Mills and Mark Fields undergoing cancer treatment in '03. Watching the Colts defensive backups hold Arizona to 13 points suggests the latter scenario to me. Then again, I'm biased and overly-optimistic. :D

It's going to be SO LOUD that Roethlisberger might break down into tears during the game instead of after like last time.

1255963[/snapback]

....and it starts. :D

I don't know if he broke into tears, but he was whining. You should know what it looks like. It is that face that Peyton makes EVERYTIME that something goes wrong. Where he is yealling at a lineman, receiver, or coach with that whiny look on his Peanut-shaped head. Oh yes, it has started. :D

Edited by Menudo

I could see it working that way.  Then again, I look at what happened to Carolina with Sam Mills and Mark Fields undergoing cancer treatment in '03.  Watching the Colts defensive backups hold Arizona to 13 points suggests the latter scenario to me.  Then again, I'm biased and overly-optimistic.  :D

1255967[/snapback]

I think the impact of Dungy's return ended with the Arizona game.

I could see it working that way.  Then again, I look at what happened to Carolina with Sam Mills and Mark Fields undergoing cancer treatment in '03.  Watching the Colts defensive backups hold Arizona to 13 points suggests the latter scenario to me.  Then again, I'm biased and overly-optimistic.  :D

1255967[/snapback]

I thought it was the Steelers year last year, when they were 15-1 and won there last game against Buffalo with all backups. Buffalo was on like a 9 game winning streak and playing for their playoff lives. When the Steelers backups won that game, I felt like nothing could stop them. And then, BOOM, that dimple-chinned Momo came in and broke our hearts again. :D

Just when I was considering getting rid of my "Arificially Piped-In" sig, we get to face the momo's that started it all. I'll be wearing earlplugs Sunday so that my ears don't bleed. I can't wait to see Marvel Smith in his jujitsu pose get bull rushed right into Mr. It Was Louder Than Any Rock Cocert :D .

Edited by CaptainHook