[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favre wants Mooch to coach him

MojoMan

Mooch has said he doesn't want to coach next year.

But yeah, I'd be fine with him as an offensive ass't or what have you. Truly, I think Mooch would be best served by taking the reins of a college program.

I was high on Mooch before he came to Detroit. I watched him do absolutely nothing in Detroit but waste some high draft picks on offense. The rebuilding program is in worse shape than when he came. In retrospect it seems like he was the beneficiary of a good system and good players in SF. It took a few years, but he eventually drove that program into the ground.

I think the days of the West Coast are over, time to move on. Teams that have a more eclectic offensive philosophy seem to be doing well now. The West Coast is too one-dimensional. Teams figured out how to defend it years ago. Mariucci, who once looked like an offensive genius with Steve Young, Jerry Rice and T.O., now looks like a dinosaur who can't adapt.

I was high on Mooch before he came to Detroit.  I watched him do absolutely nothing in Detroit but waste some high draft picks on offense.  The rebuilding program is in worse shape than when he came.  In retrospect it seems like he was the beneficiary of a good system and good players in SF.  It took a few years, but he eventually drove that program into the ground. 

I think the days of the West Coast are over, time to move on.  Teams that have a more eclectic offensive philosophy seem to be doing well now.  The West Coast is too one-dimensional.  Teams figured out how to defend it years ago.  Mariucci, who once looked like an offensive genius with Steve Young, Jerry Rice and T.O., now looks like a dinosaur who can't adapt.

1257566[/snapback]

I think Mooch is still a good Xs and Os coach. He's a good gameplanner and playcaller. He is not a motivator or disciplinarian...neither of which he needed to be in SF. Those weaknesses were his downfall in Detroit.

I was high on Mooch before he came to Detroit.  I watched him do absolutely nothing in Detroit but waste some high draft picks on offense.  The rebuilding program is in worse shape than when he came.
Um, MILLEN did the drafting. Mooch may have had input, but in the end, the GM should take the fall for bad draft picks.

In retrospect it seems like he was the beneficiary of a good system and good players in SF.  It took a few years, but he eventually drove that program into the ground.

Mooch went 25-7 with an NFC title game appearance when he took the smooth handoff from Seifert, true enough. Of course, in 99-00, Garrison Hearst went down with an injury that nearly ended his career, and Steve Young went down with an injury that DID end his career, not to mention cap hell came to SF and the exodus of talent began - hence his 10-22 record over that span. Of course, Garcia and Terrell Owens developed and Marriucci took the 9ers back to the playoffs and a 23-12 overall record the next two years.

He certainly was the beneficiary of a talented team to start, but he DID manage to rebuild a team in SF. His last season was 10-6, the next season under Dennis Erickson the team was 7-9, and hasn't been in the playoffs since.

I think the days of the West Coast are over, time to move on.  Teams that have a more eclectic offensive philosophy seem to be doing well now.  The West Coast is too one-dimensional.  Teams figured out how to defend it years ago.

1257566[/snapback]

I'd agree; I think what once worked the way the spread offense or wishbone do in college - even out the playing field for less-talented teams - has now become so commonplace as to be defended MUCH more easily; the horizontal passing game is just another not-so-new wrinkle teams either utilize wholly or at least in part in their offensive system. Multiple offense is the way to go; one of the things I've noticed is that following Vermeil and Martz's success in St Louis, the old Sid Gillman concepts have come back into vogue.

I think Mooch is still a good Xs and Os coach.  He's a good gameplanner and playcaller.  He is not a motivator or disciplinarian...neither of which he needed to be in SF.  Those weaknesses were his downfall in Detroit.

1257748[/snapback]

I think Mooch is getting a bad rap. He's a fine coach & motivator from the standpoint that he's likeable & his players want to play for him. Look what he did with SF, twice basically.

But in Detroit, those weren't his players, & he got left holding the bag for a lousy GM job from Millen.

I could see him rebuilding a program with his own players & returning to the playoffs in no time. You are right though about one thing, a disciplinarian he's never been (cough*T.O.*cough).

You are right though about one thing, a disciplinarian he's never been (cough*T.O.*cough).

1261194[/snapback]

That's why I think Mooch is best off in the college ranks - temperament-wise, he's probably closer to a Pete Carroll type than anything. The NFL eats nice guys for breakfast.

Um, MILLEN did the drafting. Mooch may have had input, but in the end, the GM should take the fall for bad draft picks.

I think the talent was better than they've shown. He is responsible for developing the talent, and I'm sure he had some input into it as well.

Mooch went 25-7 with an NFC title game appearance when he took the smooth handoff from Seifert, true enough. Of course, in 99-00, Garrison Hearst went down with an injury that nearly ended his career, and Steve Young went down with an injury that DID end his career, not to mention cap hell came to SF and the exodus of talent began - hence his 10-22 record over that span. Of course, Garcia and Terrell Owens developed and Marriucci took the 9ers back to the playoffs and a 23-12 overall record the next two years.

He certainly was the beneficiary of a talented team to start, but he DID manage to rebuild a team in SF. His last season was 10-6, the next season under Dennis Erickson the team was 7-9, and hasn't been in the playoffs since. 

Good points. It's funny how you can look at something and see a glass half full or a glass half empty. I looked at his record when he came to Detroit and thought he was someone who could bring Detroit to the promised land. Now I look back on it and wonder how much of it was because he was in a franchise with a winning attitude. Certainly it's easier to come into a place that's used to winning, where athletes want to come to play, than a place like Detroit which is a known career killer. It takes a special coach to turn around a long-time losing franchise, and the one thing I do know is that Mariucci isn't that guy. The team just flat out quit on him, and that's the head coach's responsibility, IMO.

Edited by BrainySmurf

It takes a special coach to turn around a long-time losing franchise, and the one thing I do know is that Mariucci isn't that guy.  The team just flat out quit on him, and that's the head coach's responsibility, IMO.

1261592[/snapback]

To tell you the truth, despite my defense of Marriucci, I would shudder if he were brought in to coach the Packers.