[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Foie Gras

Guest Sores

i was actually planning to strictly do prix-fiexed..... still on the fence....

a drawback was pricing... looking at this place may help resolve it:

they have your price determined by the entre you order    :D

1295203[/snapback]

I guess that makes things easier. :D

[French] literally translated, "fat liver"; but the term is used to describe the fattened liver of both duck and geese. The birds are force fed a rich mixture to help expedite this process. The largest production of commercial foie gras is done in France and Israel. The US will only allow this product to be imported in a cooked stage, either canned, vacuum-sealed, or frozen. These are inferior products and will never highlight the true delicacy of foie gras.

D'Aartagnan delivered today as promised!

OH MY GOD!

What a treat. Just seared about 4 VERY HEALTHY (in size...not in actual health value) slices. A touch of salt and pepper....and about a minute and a half later I was in heaven!

Thanks for pushing my buttons Bier and getting me off my azz to get it ordered!

:D

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

D'Artagnon.com says you can't freeze foie gras.

Bier says you can freeze foie gras.

Bier 1, D'Artagnon 0

Just as good the second time around...freezing it had no ill effects, though being impatient as I am, I didn't wait for it to fully thaw before searing, so cooking time was increased by about 50%. Wow. 1 min. 15 seconds vs. 45 seconds....I can handle that.

D'Artagnan is a very reputable place to get it.  Many restaurants use them but you can buy from them as well.  If you don't have a really good butcher nearby, I'd advocate sucking it up and buying a whole one.  I'm sure you can find guidance on-line to cleaning it.  It also helps to soak it in milk before using it.  I used to know why...

Lastly, sauce is always nice, but I could eat it with our without.

1274913[/snapback]

Yep, D'Artagnan's Foie Gras is great. I ordered one for a Valentines day feast I made for my wife a few years ago, and it was delightful.

Edited by Bonehand