[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dyson on Steelers

junebugz

I was reading an article on MSN and it had the Seahawks Dyson sharing his thoughts on Pittsburgh since he played them 4 times between 2001-2003 ... maybe it is just me, but he doesn't see to have as much of a grasp as he would like to think. Here is his quote liking the Steelers to the most similar NFC team.

Dyson said the NFC offense to which Pittsburgh appears most similar is division-rival St. Louis because of the Rams' multiple playmakers outside and rugged runner Steven Jackson inside.

So according to a reference site, here are how similar the playing styles are.

STL 2005 Stats

Rushing

Attempts - 29th

Yards - 22nd

Yards/Attempt - 13th

TDs - 14th

Passing

Attempts - 4th

Yards - 2nd

Yards/Attempt - 8th

TDs - 9th

PIT 2005 Stats

Rushing

Attempts - 1st

Yards - 5th

Yards/Attempt - 12th

TDs - 5th

Passing

Attempts - 32nd

Yards - 25th

Yards/Attempt - 1st

TDs - 15th

Seems to me that Dyson might be a little off base on this one. :D

I was reading an article on MSN and it had the Seahawks Dyson sharing his thoughts on Pittsburgh since he played them 4 times between 2001-2003 ... maybe it is just me, but he doesn't see to have as much of a grasp as he would like to think.  Here is his quote liking the Steelers to the most similar NFC team.

So according to a reference site, here are how similar the playing styles are.

STL 2005 Stats

Rushing

Attempts - 29th

Yards - 22nd

Yards/Attempt - 13th

TDs - 14th

Passing

Attempts - 4th

Yards - 2nd

Yards/Attempt - 8th

TDs - 9th

PIT 2005 Stats

Rushing

Attempts - 1st

Yards - 5th

Yards/Attempt - 12th

TDs - 5th

Passing

Attempts - 32nd

Yards - 25th

Yards/Attempt - 1st

TDs - 15th

1289286[/snapback]

If you asked me which offense the Steelers are least like, the Rams would be one of the first ones to pop into my head.

1289286[/snapback]

So, are you saying you disagree with the statement that "the Steelers have multiple playmakers outside and (a) rugged runner inside"? Dyson simply compared the Steelers stylistically to the Seahawks biggest rival. There is nothing remotely inflammatory about his comment, so what on earth is the point of this post?

Edited by Bonehand

I don't think Dyson's comments are off-base. Looking at Pittsburgh's year-to-date stats to assess the way their offense operates is misleading for several reasons. For one, Roethlisberger missed several games, and his backups didn't throw the ball much or well. Equally important, in about ten games during the regular season, Pittsburgh hardly threw the ball after the 3rd quarter. For example, in the first Bengals' game, I believe the Steelers ran the ball on their last 24 plays. That'll skew the numbers!

A better measure of Pittsburgh's offensive strategy is their run-pass balance in the first half of games. Although I don't have those statistics, you can bet that those numbers show a run-pass balance that is much closer to 50-50, and in the playoffs, they've passed on perhaps 60% of their first-half plays. So I think Dyson's comments are pretty accurate, particularly if you consider Ward, Randle El, Wilson, Miller and Parker "playmakers."

so what on earth is the point of this post?

1289327[/snapback]

Just seeing if people agree with Dyson's view ...

It seems to me that several football teams have playmakers on the outside and a rugged runner on the inside.

Just in the NFC which he was talking about ...

TAM

WAS

DAL

NOR (with a healthy Duece)

could all fit the bill too ... and to an extent CAR

What good does comparing players on different teams do if the teams have totally different playing styles? He said, "the NFC offense to which Pittsburgh appears most similar is division-rival St. Louis". To base it simply on the types of players and not on playing style seems a little akward to me.

:D

Sheesh, I not bashing the Hawks, enjoy your moment ... :D

Sheesh, I not bashing the Hawks, enjoy your moment ...  :D

1289386[/snapback]

I hear you, but I am sure he was not analyzing it all that much. The way I read it he was being both complementary and vague.

And to read your initial post, it seems that you were postulating that Dyson is an idiot for not knowing that the the Steelers were so statistically superior to the Rams this year.

You will hearing a lot of these type of comments from the Seahawks players over the next 2 weeks, as they will not be providing any bulletin board material for PIT.

Edited by Bonehand

Well, as good as Pitt's O has been of late- Pitt has thrown the ball lately- but their passing game is nowhere near as lethal or dangerous as STL when Bulger is healthy. They throw it a ton, and have more speed at WR, more playmakers in Holt/Ike/Curtis. Don't see similarities at all, but previous post is correct in Dyson comparing Pitt's O to StL- is a NICE COMPLIMENT considering it is one of the best in the NFL. Pitt just seems to be making nice calls, and having success throwing the ball of late, but they are not the Rams. Both Pitt's and STL 2005 stats are skewed b/c of injuries to Roth & Bulger. Pitt has a much more balanced O than STL, and obviously had success running the football.