[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hey Manhattenites

DKF

Some Tribeca info to get you started:

Named for the triangle of city below Canal Street, TriBeCa has become one of the wealthiest areas of New York, due in large part to an influx of young, artistic trendsetters and upper-middle-class settlers. Before expansion and development, TriBeCa was home to light manufacturing and textile production, which explains the architecture. Like SoHo, the neighborhood is dominated by cast-iron loft buildings that have been renovated into rambling condominiums and apartments. In the late '90s, the area led Manhattan's living costs, and residents paid upwards of $1 million for warehouse-to-condo conversions. High-price, high-profile eateries such as Chanterelle, Montrachet, and the TriBeCa Grill are plentiful, and celebrities are common fixtures.

TriBeCa Factoids

Fact 1: No longer the tallest building in the world, the Empire State Building is still one of the best loved. Opened in 1931, the skyscraper grew at a rate of 4.5 stories per week and still holds the distinction of being the fastest rising skyscraper ever built. Annually, more than 3.8 million people visit the observation decks on the 86th and 102nd floors. But here’s a hint, go to the 86th floor. On a clear day, you can see up to 80 miles.

Fact 2: The New York Public Library is one of the greatest research institutions in the world. It houses more than 6 million books, 12 million manuscripts and almost 3 million pictures. But don’t worry, you don’t have to need a book to appreciate the library. Just a look on the inside and out of this National Historic Landmark will make you admire its grandiose appearance.

Fact 3: Welcome to Grand Central Terminal, the world’s largest railway station and the United States’ busiest. The station sprawls over 76 acres and accommodates 500,000 commuters and subway riders daily. Be sure to explore the wonder of the main concourse of the station. Roughly 12 stories high, a celestial map glows with fiber optic lighting that brings the major stars to life.

Fact 4: The largest securities exchange in the world, The New York Stock Exchange is able to handle a trillion shares of stock per day. With the help of a self-guided tour, film and live guides, you’ll be able to sort through some of the chaos you’ll view from the visitor’s gallery.

Fact 5: In 1886, “Liberty Enlightening the World” was given to the United States by France. The statue itself is closed for security and structural reasons, but a trip to the island allows visitors to browse the pedestal museum and check out the city from the observation deck. At one time, tourists could access the statue by hitting 354 steps to the crown.

Fact 6: From 1892 to 1924, Ellis Island was the first American land that 16 million immigrants reached in their journey to the United States. Closed for good in 1954, Ellis Island processed the ancestors of more than 40% of the people living in America today.

Fact 7: Okay, you couch potatoes: get off that sofa and get in line. If your dream trip to New York includes a visit to a live version of your favorite show, listen up: it’s not that easy to come by. But the good news is that the tickets are free if you can get your hands on them! If you're lucky, you might find yourself on the set of "Late Night with David Letterman."

Fact 8: Dubbed the “Performing Arts Capital of America,” New York plays host to productions from renowned performing arts institutions. Being the main tourist attraction, it’s imperative to plan ahead as tickets are difficult to get.

Fact 9: The REAL Bronx Zoo? Historic Yankee Stadium, which dates from the Roaring '20s, has been the stage for some of the game's greatest performers and singular events: Lou Gehrig's famous retirement speech and the on-field exploits of The Babe, Joe D, the M & M Boys, Mr. October, and the heroes of today. Watching a game here is a must for any sports fan, as is taking a stroll through the hallowed Monument Park, where the greatest Pin-Stripers are honored.

Fact 10: A constant stream of immigrants to New York has greatly enhanced the options for dining and shopping. When it comes to eating, plan ahead. Reservations at some restaurants need to be made weeks in advance. If a dress code is not clear, don’t hesitate to call and ask. Better to find out now instead of later! And if you didn’t bring the appropriate clothes with you, don’t worry – New York has plenty of shopping options to meet your needs.

From here: http://www.10best.com/TriBeCa,New_York,NY/...ionDetails.html

Let me know when you'll be in town, I'll buy you a beer. :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

:D what do you mean?

1303493[/snapback]

:D Just seemed like you're busting my balls a lot lately, didn't know why. I was just trying to give DKF something to read about before coming to the City. You seem to be taking a on a bit of a skins personna right here in the Tailgate. :D

:D Just seemed like you're busting my balls a lot lately, didn't know why. I was just trying to give DKF something to read about before coming to the City. You seem to be taking a on a bit of a skins personna right here in the Tailgate. :D

1303495[/snapback]

come on hughy, of all the people to get a thin skin over bustin balls...

your thing just says "tribeca factoids" then lists a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with tribeca. just made me do a double take, and could be confusing for someone who doesn't know the city at all. :D

come on hughy, of all the people to get a thin skin over bustin balls...

your thing just says "tribeca factoids" then lists a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with tribeca.  just made me do a double take, and could be confusing for someone who doesn't know the city at all.  :D

1303532[/snapback]

I have feelings too you know. :D

Yeah, you're right, my post wasn't clear, my bad. I must have stilll been hung up because I spelled ass and used the language filter and got busted. :D

EDITED for retardation. :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Here all this week, weekend, and next week.

Found the bars :D  what else is left? NY Dolls?

1303581[/snapback]

One more time. What are you looking for? Restaurant recommendations? Night life? Tribeca's pretty big and jammed full of restaurants and bars and clubs, but my sister lives on Hudson Street so she knows the area real well. If you tell me what you're looking for, I'll drop you some knowledge. :D

I have feelings too you know. :D

Yeah, you're right, my post wasn't clear, my bad. I must have steal been hung up because I spelled ass and used the language filter and got busted. :D

1303587[/snapback]

:D ohh it's THAT. i was just picking up on your propensity to blast "newbie morans" for the same thing. an irony/turnabout sorta thing, you dig?

maybe you'll learn your lesson and start being nice to newbies. :D

I found the bars on Hudson a few nights ago. Had a great time. I know I'll take the subway to see the Natural History museum and the Met. museum of art.

Something other than bars that I don't have to go uptown for. Anything so I feel like I've done something other than drink. Not that is anything wrong with that. :D

I found the bars on Hudson a few nights ago. Had a great time. I know I'll take the subway to see the Natural History museum and the Met. museum of art.

Something other than bars that I don't have to go uptown for. Anything so I feel like I've done something other than drink. Not that is anything wrong with that. :D

1304044[/snapback]

Great Mexican place on bleeker and Thompson called La Margueritta and then right down the block is an awesome blues bar called Mondo Cane..As a mtter of fact that whole area is a good time..

There is a hockey game this Wed. night at the Garden (Madison Square Garden) and they are always fun.

Also, South Street Seaport is downtown, but a bit of a tourist spot.

You could always take a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn Heights where you can get a pretty cool view of Manhattan and some GREAT pizza at Grimaldi's.

If you are into sports/activities, Chelsea Piers is a fun spot. Bowling, golf (driving range) and basketball are just a few of the activities there. And if you are into bowling, you should check out a fun spot called Bowlmor Lanes near Union Square.

It's on the list.

Interesting fact: As Az pointed out, you can indeed say ass without it getting filtered out, but you can't say arse. Interesting, no?

1303623[/snapback]

It's because the filter would alter the word "pass", commonly used on FF boards, surprising as it may be. :D

Edit: Although the term "pbottom" would be quickly familiar to all.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Some Tribeca info to get you started:

Named for the triangle of city below Canal Street

1303450[/snapback]

anyone know what Tribeca stands for ? seriously ...a little trivia coming your way

1305153[/snapback]

How about Tri(angle) Be(low) Ca(nal Street)