[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vonage...

Ralph Furley

My sister and brother-in-law have used Vonage for a couple of months now and have had nothing but good things to say about it. Anyone use it? I would need to get DSL (right?) as I still am probably the last person on earth with dial-up connection :D Just wondering what kind of experiences you have had with it. Thanks.

Don't use Vonage but I do use AT&T's version of the same service (VOIP). Have no regrets whatsoever. My total bill every month is $33.43 including taxes. I believe Vonage is even cheaper.

I do believe you need hi speed internet service. I have cable modem and it works great.

Vonage does not come with 911 service. Just an FYI

1305419[/snapback]

Not true Cliaz. They always have but the service was different than local land lines. There was a federal law passed last year requiring the VOIP services to make sure the 911 worked like the land line service.

I think the main thing is making sure they have the correct address in their records of where the phone service is located.

Not true Cliaz.  They always have but the service was different than local land lines.  There was a federal law passed last year requiring the VOIP services to make sure the 911 worked like the land line service.

I think the main thing is making sure they have the correct address in their records of where the phone service is located.

1305428[/snapback]

Gotcha. I made a boo boo then. I remember a while ago there was some issue with 911 and them.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/voip911.html

Here's an informative link from the FCC regarding this topic.

1305430[/snapback]

Good document. Be aware also that in many areas, a 911 call appears to the dispatcher as one level down from a traditional 911 call. It's necessary for the dispatcher to keep an eye on a separate system.

The worst problem is power outage or broadband outage.

Do you still have (non-computer) phone service if the power goes out?

1305436[/snapback]

No. That is a drawback. However, you can have your settings done to direct your home calls to another number. Of course, you'd have to get to the website to change them :D

I used Vonage for around a year and half and I really liked it. The best part is that the bill is exactly what they say it will be. There are no line charges, FCC charges or anything of that nature. The quality was fine, and considering I use my cell phone a lot, it wasn't a problem. My friend who runs a business from home tried using it as his primary business line, and that didn't work out, he said there was static on occasion. I didn't use it nearly as much as he did though.

Anyone hear about pros/cons of small business using it? My lines in the office run about $260 per month plus another $120+ for long distance  :doah:

1305877[/snapback]

Not so good for business. What service to you use now? You should switch over to a CLEC like XO Communications. They're much less expensive than a Verizon or SBC.

Not so good for business. What service to you use now? You should switch over to a CLEC like XO Communications. They're much less expensive than a Verizon or SBC.

1305898[/snapback]

Good info here. VoIP can be used on a private network with guaranteed bandwidth and good QoS-equipped Cisco routers, but it can be really poor if it's not set up right or the ISP is oversubscribed. Enough for one company to lose over $100,000 in sales when the phone they were using to talk to me kept cutting out.