[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nigerian Customs

MikesVikes

My wife has a friend that married a guy from Nigeria. His father died. The father was the chief of a tribe and the expenses are going to be hugh.

People from all over the country will attend the ceremony and each of them is expected to receive a gift from the family. They will need custom made clothing. Oh and they will need to pay 10k to keep the prince title for their family. There are many more customs and it all adds up cost of the ceremony.

It sometimes takes a year to two to bring all of the arrangements together.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

My wife has a friend that married a guy from Nigeria.  His father died.  The father was the chief of a tribe and the expenses are going to be hugh. 

People from all over the country will attend the ceremony and each of them is expected to receive a gift from the family.  They will need custom made clothing.  Oh and they will need to pay 10k to keep the prince title for their family.  There are many more customs and it all adds up cost of the ceremony.

It sometimes takes a year to two to bring all of the arrangements together.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

1316259[/snapback]

He could send an e-mail out to the world asking for help with the arrangements.

Honestly, I hear nigerian and that's the first thing that pops into my head.

He could send an e-mail out to the world asking for help with the arrangements.

Honestly, I hear nigerian and that's the first thing that pops into my head.

1316273[/snapback]

I thought the same thing. I had to read the first post 3 times because I was expecting a request for bank account numbers.

And to answer the question, No I have never heard of anything like this before but it sounds like it could be very expensive.

The friends still have relatives that live there. They would love to see the new baby in the family. My wife works for somebody that lived there and she just laughed and said they are going to be spending alot of money. She also said that there's noway she'd bring a baby there because the little guy could get kidnapped very easily.

Yea, it sure sounds like a scam, but this one's not going away.  It's going to be like buying a second house.  I don't know how a country like Nigeria can pull off such a custom like this.  Our friends were married in Wisconsin and now live in Ohio.

1316286[/snapback]

If they were married in Wisconsin, then the only obligation they should have is bringing beer and cheese to the services.