[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just got this e-mail about a former GVSU student

wiegie

The following e-mail just got forwarded to me by my university's administration:

Hi, My name is Amy Boyd, I'm married to an alumnist of GVSU, Shawn Boyd who graduated with a BBA in April 2004. Unfortunately, Shawn's cancer has returned (for the third time). His doctors at the University of Michigan have told him that his cancer will kill him, most likely this recurrence.

We are determined to beat this, as he has in the past. We need your help. We do not need monetary donations. We need thoughts and prayers and word of mouth. Shawn's cancer is an rare form of a rare kind, meaning that we can't just go to the hospital that treats it regularly, because it is never treated regularly. We need information on where to go and who to see and any connections that we can establish would be immeasurable.

Shawn means everything to me, imagine the most important person in your life is going through cancer for the third time. Shawn is a good employee, avid golfer, loved son, wonderful husband, best dad to our pets (and to our foster pets, saved from the pound). He brings so much to this world, and now he needs some help. How can you help? Forward this to everyone you know, this is an email worth forwarding. You would not believe the connections we have established already.

Know someone in a similar circumstance? Been through this before? Send them our way! Have a doctor friend or family member? Ask them where they would go if they had what Shawn has. Permission is given to forward this to anyone, anywhere, at any time!

Diagnosis: Recurrent metastatic osteosarcoma. He has a 1" diameter tumor that could be as long as 10" in his neck going down. Metastasized to his lungs, with 25-30 spots. History: 25 years old. First diagnosed with osteosarcoma in the lower mandible (August '01), spread a little to the upper mandible. Removed with clear margins, given 4 rounds of chemotherapy. Recurred in the tongue (Feb 04), removed with clear margins. Radiation therapy and then 9 rounds of chemotherapy (include methotrexate and lucovorin). Suggested treatment: High-dose Ifosfamide with a Nupogen shot. Two rounds (one week with three days of treatment, 2 weeks off).

I can be contacted at Amy1m1w1@aol.com, well wishes to Shawn can be sent to maizegolf_99@yahoo.com. Please help us, even if it is just forwarding this email, please think of your closest loved one, and do what you would like us to do if you were in our situation. Thank you!

Unfortunately I know that some of you have had/are having experience with cancer. I never had Shawn as a student, but I had heard about him before. If you have learned anything that might help him in any way, I would ask that you send them your suggestions. Thank you.

The most renouned cancer centers in the US are MD Anderson in Houston, Dana Farber in Boston, and Memorial Sloan Kettering in New York. The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN is no slouch either.

His prognosis is dismal.

You might look for clinical trials that enrolling patients with recurrent osteosarcoma at www.clinicaltrials.gov

The most renouned cancer centers in the US are MD Anderson in Houston, Dana Farber in Boston, and Memorial Sloan Kettering in New York.  The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN is no slouch either.

His prognosis is dismal.

You might look for clinical trials that enrolling patients with recurrent osteosarcoma at www.clinicaltrials.gov

1495876[/snapback]

Thanks, I will pass that along. (Well, almost all of it along. :D )

• 16 years later...

How did this get bumped?  Spammer, who then got deleted?  This poor guy, Shawn, made it only 6 months after his cancer returned for the 3rd time. He passed away in January of 2007 (wiegie posted in June of 2006).  Cancer blows!