[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Zappa Plays Zappa

Kid Cid

Favorite Zappa lyrics are from Dumb All Over:

Listen, we can’t really be dumb, if we’re just following God’s Orders

After all, He wrote this book here and in the Book He says

He made us all to be just like Him,

So... If we’re dumb... Then God is dumb...

And maybe even a little bit ugly on the side

Saw him in concert in the mid-70s -- about the time that live album with Captain Beefhart came out with such classics as Carolina Hard Core Ecstasy and Muffin Man. Anyway, he played his guitar for about a half-hour or so, and after the crowd kept asking for "hits" like Yellow Snow, he put down his guitar and said, "Okay, everybody -- it's singalong time" and led the crowd in Old McDonald Had a Farm for about five minutes, then walked off the stage.

I did hear Moon Unit on the radio for Mother's Day. She is apparently rather bitter about her dad. Said that every Mother's Day, the family had to pay tribute not to mom, but to his band, since they were the Mothers of Invention. She also said her dad moved in groupies routinely to live in the basement with his recording studio. Said he needed the groupies to stay creative.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

So.....I saw the show tonight. I'm really no expert on Zappa at all but this was just over three straight hours of unbelievably well done music by a band very clearly having a great time. All the band members were technically brilliant but the guitarist Steve Vai was just mind boggling. For sure he's in the top three guitarists I've ever seen. He didn't put in an appearance until the halfway point but when he did it was more than worth the wait. The drummer Bozzio had a solo the likes of which I have never seen before, incredibly complex to the point of impossibility.

If you get the chance to see this show and you appreciate technical brilliance of the highest level, do yourself a favor and go.

So.....I saw the show tonight. I'm really no expert on Zappa at all but this was just over three straight hours of unbelievably well done music by a band very clearly having a great time. All the band members were technically brilliant but the guitarist Steve Vai was just mind boggling. For sure he's in the top three guitarists I've ever seen. He didn't put in an appearance until the halfway point but when he did it was more than worth the wait. The drummer Bozzio had a solo the likes of which I have never seen before, incredibly complex to the point of impossibility.

If you get the chance to see this show and you appreciate technical brilliance of the highest level, do yourself a favor and go.

Wish I coulda been there.

Wish I coulda been there.

Playing at the HOB here in Dec. can't wait gonna be a hell of a show. Just wondering did you see them in a concert setting or a club setting. would love to see a 2.5-3 hr show in the HOB.

Playing at the HOB here in Dec. can't wait gonna be a hell of a show. Just wondering did you see them in a concert setting or a club setting. would love to see a 2.5-3 hr show in the HOB.

I saw the show at the Orpheum theater, capacity 2,579. It was not quite sold out but about 2,000 showed up and the vast majority were Zappa fanatics which made for an extremely enthusiastic audience. I was down on the main floor and the sound was very good - I'd never seen a music concert there before but have been to lots of shows and plays.

I'm a HUGE Zappa fan! Caught his show 3 times years ago all at the Royal Oak Music Theatre. Incredible place for a concert! Small venue, seats around 4-5 grand. Amazing shows! I have at least thirty of his albums and although I also play guitar, I could never come close to Zappa's talent.

Gotta love sinister footwear, dangerous kitchen, baby don't you want a man like me, heavy duty judy, heavenly bank account, green hotel... to many to mention! If I had to pick a favorite album it would probably be "You are what you is". If you get a chance rent his video "Does humor belong in music".

Not only was Zappa an extremely talented songwriter and musician, he also was a very intelligent man. Frank and Dee Snider (twisted sister) represented musicians in the fight against censorship of cd's in front of congress. I think it was Tippy Gore that led the fight for censorship but I could be wrong.

"There are three things that smell like fish...One of them is fish..." :D

I'm a HUGE Zappa fan! Caught his show 3 times years ago all at the Royal Oak Music Theatre. Incredible place for a concert! Small venue, seats around 4-5 grand. Amazing shows! I have at least thirty of his albums and although I also play guitar, I could never come close to Zappa's talent.

Gotta love sinister footwear, dangerous kitchen, baby don't you want a man like me, heavy duty judy, heavenly bank account, green hotel... to many to mention! If I had to pick a favorite album it would probably be "You are what you is". If you get a chance rent his video "Does humor belong in music".

Not only was Zappa an extremely talented songwriter and musician, he also was a very intelligent man. Frank and Dee Snider (twisted sister) represented musicians in the fight against censorship of cd's in front of congress. I think it was Tippy Gore that led the fight for censorship but I could be wrong.

"There are three things that smell like fish...One of them is fish..." :D

This Wikipedia article is a long and fascinating read covering Zappa's entire life, decade by decade

Stoked that this was resurrected. I'm heading down to the Warner Theater to check them out on the 30th again. Hoping for a new set list from the last time. A birthday show with Halloween off from work. I may very well need several extra days to recover.

OK, I'm convinced I should introduce myself to Zappa and his music. :D Anyone got a suggestion as to where I should begin?

Too bad I missed this thread...I would've checked the concert out here in Phoenix.

Edited by I Like Soup

A little acoustic Frank for you..Thanks to atomic for hosting this

Was the original version off of "Hot Rats"? Come to think of it, no it's not "rats". I think its the same album that has San Bernadino on it. I have the name of the song on the tip of my tounge but I can't remember! :D I know it was sung in German and is something about a sofa.

I have the vinyl its on, but thats the problem...vinyl. My record player's needle took a dump a couple of years ago. Try to find a new needle nowadays...haven't searched the web though. :D I know the chorus has "And you are my sofa" sung in German. Little help? Its driving me bat-sh*t!! :bash: Maybe I'll dig up my albums if I can find them buried in the basement.

Was the original version off of "Hot Rats"? Come to think of it, no it's not "rats". I think its the same album that has San Bernadino on it. I have the name of the song on the tip of my tounge but I can't remember! :D I know it was sung in German and is something about a sofa.

I have the vinyl its on, but thats the problem...vinyl. My record player's needle took a dump a couple of years ago. Try to find a new needle nowadays...haven't searched the web though. :D I know the chorus has "And you are my sofa" sung in German. Little help? Its driving me bat-sh*t!! :bash: Maybe I'll dig up my albums if I can find them buried in the basement.

Honestly after reading this thread I remembered I had a Zappa song in my files but the file when I downloaded it was just labelled " beautiful acoustic" so I dont know the title.

OK, I'm convinced I should introduce myself to Zappa and his music. :D Anyone got a suggestion as to where I should begin?

Too bad I missed this thread...I would've checked the concert out here in Phoenix.

I sing this to you, Soup:

Dirty Love (backing vocals Tina Turner and the Ikettes)

Give me

Your dirty love

Like you might surrender

To some dragon in your dreams

Give me

Your dirty love

Like a pink donation

To the dragon in your dreams

I don't need your sweet devotion

An' I don't want your cheap emotion

Whip me up some dragon lotion

For your dirty love

Your dirty love

Give me

Your dirty love

Like some tacky little pamphlet

In your daddy's bottom drawer

Give me

Your dirty love

I don't believe you never seen

His book before

I don't need no consolation

I don't want your reservation

I only got one destination

An' that's your dirty love

Your dirty love

Give me

Your dirty love

Just like your mama

Make her fuzzy poodle do

(Oh, Frenchie . . . )

Give me

Your dirty love

The way your mama

Make that nasty poodle chew

I'll ignore your cheap aroma

And your little-bo-peep diploma

I'll just put you in a coma

With some dirty love

Some dirty love

That dirty love

That dirty love

I sing this to you, Soup:

Dirty Love (backing vocals Tina Turner and the Ikettes)

Give me

Your dirty love

Like you might surrender

To some dragon in your dreams

Give me

Your dirty love

Like a pink donation

To the dragon in your dreams

I don't need your sweet devotion

An' I don't want your cheap emotion

Whip me up some dragon lotion

For your dirty love

Your dirty love

Give me

Your dirty love

Like some tacky little pamphlet

In your daddy's bottom drawer

Give me

Your dirty love

I don't believe you never seen

His book before

I don't need no consolation

I don't want your reservation

I only got one destination

An' that's your dirty love

Your dirty love

Give me

Your dirty love

Just like your mama

Make her fuzzy poodle do

(Oh, Frenchie . . . )

Give me

Your dirty love

The way your mama

Make that nasty poodle chew

I'll ignore your cheap aroma

And your little-bo-peep diploma

I'll just put you in a coma

With some dirty love

Some dirty love

That dirty love

That dirty love

Are my pants supposed to be getting tight? :D

A little acoustic Frank for you..Thanks to atomic for hosting this

That is a really cool acoustic version of "Sofa #2". Not anyone associated with Zappa playing it though.

It first appeared on the album "One Size Fits All" (June 1975). Other highlights from that album are Po-jama People, San Ber-dino, Sofa #1 and one the most amazing tunes, Inca Roads.

If you break down Zappa's song writing, you'll see that prior to "Hot Rats" (released 15 Oct 1969) Zappa's music, especially his lyrics, were filled with social comentary. Things like Who Are the Brain Police?, Plastic People and The Idiot Bastard Son come to mind. Starting with "Hot Rats" I feel is where Frank really start to take off musically even if lyrically he start to plunge in the chauvenistic depths most people know him for. Not coincidentally, it's about this time that he started working with musicians other than the original Mothers of Invention. Lowell George (founder of Little Feat) makes his first appearance on "Burnt Weeny Sandwich" from December of 1969. "Over-nite Sensation" (September 1973) which contains the aforementioned "Dirty Love" and the now infamous "Montana" featured an up and coming violinst named Jean Luc Ponty.

Soup, I'd look at something in that 1969-75 period as a great place to start with Zappa. Here's the short list:

Hot Rats (15 October 1969)

Burnt Weeny Sandwich (December 1969)

Weasels Ripped My Flesh (August 1970)

Chunga's Revenge (23 October 1970)

Fillmore East - June 1971 (August 1971)

200 Motels (October 1971)

Just Another Band From L.A. (March 1972)

Waka/Jawaka (5 July 1972)

The Grand Wazoo (November 1972)

Over-Nite Sensation (7 September 1973)

Apostrophe(') (22 March 1974)

Roxy & Elsewhere (10 September 1974)

One Size Fits All (25 June 1975)

Bongo Fury (2 October 1975)

Some things in there are stranger than others. "Filmore East" is a live album and not for the faint of heart. "200 Motels" is a soundtrack to a movie including an Orchestra. The movie is stranger than than the music with both Keith Moon and Ringo Starr playing roles. "Apostrophe(')" has "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" on it along with "Cosmic Debris", a couple of things you may have heard of.

Soup, I'd look at something in that 1969-75 period as a great place to start with Zappa. Here's the short list:

Some things in there are stranger than others. "Filmore East" is a live album and not for the faint of heart. "200 Motels" is a soundtrack to a movie including an Orchestra. The movie is stranger than than the music with both Keith Moon and Ringo Starr playing roles. "Apostrophe(')" has "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" on it along with "Cosmic Debris", a couple of things you may have heard of.

Thank you sir, I will indulge! :D

I also suggest you get into some King Crimson, young grasshopper. And then some solo Adrian Belew like Twang Bar King.

I knew at some point you bassturds would drag me down in to your musical knowledge hell from my pop 40/techno/80's/irish music stuff...:D

That is a really cool acoustic version of "Sofa #2". Not anyone associated with Zappa playing it though.

It first appeared on the album "One Size Fits All" (June 1975). Other highlights from that album are Po-jama People, San Ber-dino, Sofa #1 and one the most amazing tunes, Inca Roads.

If you break down Zappa's song writing, you'll see that prior to "Hot Rats" (released 15 Oct 1969) Zappa's music, especially his lyrics, were filled with social comentary. Things like Who Are the Brain Police?, Plastic People and The Idiot Bastard Son come to mind. Starting with "Hot Rats" I feel is where Frank really start to take off musically even if lyrically he start to plunge in the chauvenistic depths most people know him for. Not coincidentally, it's about this time that he started working with musicians other than the original Mothers of Invention. Lowell George (founder of Little Feat) makes his first appearance on "Burnt Weeny Sandwich" from December of 1969. "Over-nite Sensation" (September 1973) which contains the aforementioned "Dirty Love" and the now infamous "Montana" featured an up and coming violinst named Jean Luc Ponty.

Yep. thats it, sofa 2! I gotta upgrade my cd collection! Po-Jama people...Its a Po-Jama people special, take one home with you...Save a dollar today!!

Arf she said! :D

OK, so last night I saw this show again in the Warner Theater in downtown D.C. Once again I was blown away by how absolutely tight the band was. The same lineup but many different songs. They played for 3 hours straight, no break. They did some more of the social comentary type tunes like "Who Are the Brain Police?", "Call Any Vegetable?" and "The Slime". They also close with "The Torture Never Stops" one of my favorite little ditties. But the highlight of the evening was "Zomby Woof" and the absolute melt your face off guitar work of Steve Vai. Seriously, this guy isn't really from the same species as the rest of us.

For those that are thinking about seeing this show, some December dates have been announced. All tickets for these shows are available through Ticketmaster.

12-10 Boca Raton, FL Mizner Amphitheater

12-11 Orlando, FL Hard Rock Live

12-12 Atlanta, GA Tabernacle

12-13 Louisville Louisville Palace

12-14 St. Louis The Pageant

12-16 Dallas, TX Nokia Theater

12-17 Houston, TX Verizon Wireless Theater

12-22 Seattle, WA Paramount Theater